Attire & Accessories Forum

Corsets? Not sure what to wear!!!

So I'm not sure I know what to buy for my wedding dress. It's a traditional sleeveless ballroom poofy dress but it shows my torso area... Anywho, Do I buy a corset? problem is, i'm plus size. I wear a 40B (i know small breasts..) and a 37" waist. I don't have much of shape and I'm trying to look like I have a bigger bust.. What should I get? Over? Under? neither? I know I'm buying chicken cutlets to help these babies out but not sure how to go about buying a corset or shapewear and how this all works? please help!!

Oh and, I am selling a justin alexander 8632 if anyone is interested. =)

Re: Corsets? Not sure what to wear!!!

• What a cute dress!

You should ask your seamstress to sew padded cups in to your dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_corsets-not-sure-what-to-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:7d8fc84a-99c1-46d4-9f18-794273d8a198Post:7b451f90-2cc7-4f8d-b45b-a2a05d3ecd3a">Re: Corsets? Not sure what to wear!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]What a cute dress! You should ask your seamstress to sew padded cups in to your dress.
    Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

<div>This, or get a longline push-up bra. Corsets are $$$ and uncomfortable and tend to show unless your dress is really thick. Also, wedding gowns tend to have structure built into them already.</div>
  • edited April 2013
    I second the vote for sewn-in padding, and why not ask a seamstress to sew in a push-up, padded bra that you already know looks HAWT?  That way it does the pushing up and the padding.  Just use your current favorite bra, or buy a new one of the same make and model.

P.S. I am a 44 B/C depending on bra/dress. 
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_corsets-not-sure-what-to-wear?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:15Discussion:7d8fc84a-99c1-46d4-9f18-794273d8a198Post:8527fe4b-1478-4dbd-8da7-97d9df77b598">Corsets? Not sure what to wear!!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]So I'm not sure I know what to buy for my wedding dress. It's a traditional sleeveless ballroom poofy dress but it shows my torso area... Anywho, Do I buy a corset? problem is, i'm plus size. I wear a 40B (i know small breasts..) and a 37" waist. I don't have much of shape and I'm trying to look like I have a bigger bust.. What should I get? Over? Under? neither? I know I'm buying chicken cutlets to help these babies out but not sure how to go about buying a corset or shapewear and how this all works? please help!! Oh and, I am selling a justin alexander 8632 if anyone is interested. =)
    Posted by marlobakani[/QUOTE]

I hope this isn't too long, but I know finding info on real corsets is not easy, and they aren't cheap.
    I have ordered from absolutecorsets.com and am very happy with mine. I think I ordered the underbust T24 or something like that. I would suggest using the cutlets or some kind of padded cup in your dress and going with an underbust style to give the greatest impact. The laces of my corset are like black shoelaces (even on a nude satin corset) so you will probably want to ask for white or something else. Since these are real, steel boned corsets, slippery ribbons and flimsy material just don't work as well and would probably rip. I ordered a 22"corset to give myself about a 4" compression. Despite my desire, there is no way I could have done a 6" compression, but I also didn't have a lot to squish around. Not gonna lie, it made my waist look phenomenal. You'll need to practice wearing it and putting it on, it will need a little time to break in and conform to your body. The way their laces are done make it easier to put your corset on yourself. The boning makes slouching impossible.

The drawbacks are you can't eat and drink as much as you normally do. I overate in my corset once and was miserable (note: I ate when I wanted to and never felt hungry after my smaller meals). The extra layers of fabric do trap more body heat, and that is certainly something to consider. Choosing natural fiber fabrics over pretty synthetics can alleviate this some. If you order an off the rack corset (like me) the front bottom edge of the corset might poke out slightly and be visible if your dress is still tight in that area. This is probably the number one reason I don't wear mine enough. The number two reason is I put on a couple of pounds and I hate the back fat bulge out the top (which might not happen if I had a lower back on the corset). Also, maybe I am not lacing tight enough, but my waist measurement with and without the corset on doesn't really change. What does change is my shape, and again, it looks stunning.

For under a wedding dress you may want a buskless front, but it won't be as easy to put on. HTH
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards