Jewish Weddings

Vows

Hi everyone,

My Rabbi explained that in Jewish weddings we don't technically say vows, but that we can say a personal promise to each other before reciting the blessings.  I posted my "vows" on chit chat but people felt they weren't serious enough to be vows.  I winder if they are right, or if it's a cultural thing, since these are not our "legal bounding vows" or anything...

At other Jewish weddings I have been to the b and g share their feelings for eachother and make some promises, then say the blessing with the rabbi, so that was kind of my inspiration when writing my own...

I would REALLY appreciate feedback from this board to figure out if I'm way off or if what I wrote is good.  THANK YOU!

http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_vows_lay-it-on-me
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Vows

• I think those are fine, as long as you are ok with laughing and having people laugh during them.  I don't know you or your FI at all, obviously, but if the humor and self-deprecation fit with your personalities, I think it'd be better to refelct that rather than trying to be more serious.  

That said, I have never seen this at a Jewish wedding.  They are in line with what I have heard at non-religious ceremonies, though.  If your rabbi is ok with it, I don't see a problem. though.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards