Pre-wedding Parties

Engagement Parties

I'm not too over the top and neither is my fiance.
I've seen a few topics on Engagment Parties, and I'm wondering...How important are they? Really?
I don't have the budget for a party, unless someone offers to host one for us. 
Is it okay to not have an enagement party or is it expected by friends and family?
I want to know if this is a highly guarded tradition or is it just up to the bride and groom along with their families?

Re: Engagement Parties

• They are not important, and like all pre-wedding parties, they are supposed to be hosted by someone else. It's not a highly guarded tradition, to be sure. I have tons of friends who have been married and never had one. No one even asked me if I was having one.
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • I've never been to one and nobody asked us about one. The only person I know in real life who had one was one of my cousins. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • We skipped the engagement party too. I just had a simple meet and greet bbq for our immediate families. :)
  • I think it depends on your family/friends.  We had two engagment parties, one hosted by a friend, and one hosted by family (it was also an extended family meet and greet while everyone was in town for thanksgiving).  Honestly, it was only food/drinks at someone's house, nothing super fancy, but just a good excuse for all of our friends/family to get together.  Also, in our friends circle and immediate family, we haven't had anyone get married in a while, so everyone was just really excited to have a reason to celebrate.  They were both amazing/super nice, but I have probably only been to one other engagement party in my life, so I don't think they are super common.

• My future sis-in-law is very generously throwing us an engagement party. My fiance and I are both in our 40's, this is my 2nd marriage, his first. His (large) family is very excited about their baby brother finally getting married and are planning a wonderful engagement party for us next month. My family is smaller and thinks that 2nd marriages should get less attention, in fact my mom doesn't understand what all the fuss is about, although she adores my fiance and is happy for us. I don't feel like an engagement party is an important necessity, however, anytime our families get together and celebrate it's a fun time and this is just another good reason for a family gathering. Our engagement is going to be long- about a year and a half, which I think I is another justification for a party... Lots of time between proposal and wedding. I'm hoping folks won't show up with gifts, we are blessed to have everything we need now that we've found each other.

What I'm trying to say is... an engagement party is not a necessity or important. Wait and see if someone volunteers to host one for you. But don't feel like you are missing out if no one does. You can have a happy engagement/wedding/marriage without the party!

• We are just having it at our house. Nothing fancy but more for the bridal party and families to officially meet. Just having a few people over. Both sets of parent's are hosting but having it at our house as a more halfway point for both families. We are excited about it! 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards