Second Weddings
Options

XP from Reception Ideas -- debating venue w/ fiance, worried about deja vu

How did your resolve a disagreement on venue with your fiance?

He prefers a hotel site in the small city's downtown area. He says it gives guests the option of going out the day before or later the day of the wedding (likely brunch). He also said it feels less "one and done" since we'd get a ton of hotel "points" we could use for the honeymoon or other getaways and that they offer a free stay on your 1y anniversary including dinner and breakfast.

I prefer an Inn option. I like that it is unique and very personal vs. a typical hotel ballroom. It needs zero decoration, includes cake, and the onsite florist and beauty staff are strong (plus I don't have to find and coordinate more vendors from 2h away). I like that it offers a more private feel (vs a hotel w/ other active events). The guest rooms are lovely and unique (and about the same price as the hotel). There are lots of little touches that I think make for a special (and EASY..) day.

Truth, and I did tell him this, I was married before and at a hotel ballroom venue. It is a different chain and different town and MUCH better boy, but it felt too familiar and I want this to feel distinct (to which he said something along the lines of "it's not my fault"). I also imagine some of my guests having the same reaction.

Any advice on communicating this better?? He has NOT been married before. At one point he's said he'd be all for eloping etc but now wants a more traditional day. I'm fine doing that and happy to be his bride (though it means we need to pay for a lot since I can't ask my family again but my mom offered some help). Neither of us dislikes the "other's site" but this deja vu factor is one I can't seem to make him understand!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: XP from Reception Ideas -- debating venue w/ fiance, worried about deja vu

• Options
    It sounds to me like you both are settled on your respective venues for your own reasons, and that happens.  We almost had that issue, but we agreed to look a little more and we found the perfect venue it met my requirements, my DH's requirements and surprisingly our DD's. Granted we contacted over 35 and visited close to 30 venues but we all came to an agreement. 

Is there a way to get married outside at the hotel's pool, or in a garden courtyard, or in another location?  Say, in front of a fireplace or art sculpture and just have the reception in the ballroom? 

It's not his fault that your first marriage wasn't right for you. It would be nice if he understood that getting married at a similar venue can bring back unpleasant memories and may taint your very special day.  

• Options
    I may be reading too much into this, but it bothers me that he responds to your feelings with, "It's not my fault."  Maybe not, but your feelings are important too. I think an inn as a nice compromise.
  • Options
    Yeah, I was stung by that. 

He's usually been very supportive emotionally, including with Ex-related stuff.  FI actually offered to and did fly up to Boston with me when I had to do an official court appearance for the divorce (my mom and he collaborated on that one)....I'd been emotionally divorced for some time, but the actual legal stuff took a bit. 

It was definitely not a kind comment but it is an outlier and not typical.  I raised the issue of the 1st amid a discussion about our preferred sites and I think he was in "argument" (not the best word, but "debate" feels too formal!) mode.  I'm not worried about overall emotional support, but it did make me wonder how much he "gets" it though....I brought it up again today and he doesn't seem to weigh it any differently than he would something like "the carpets in the ballroom are ugly." 

Thanks for expressing the concern. 

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I don't find that comment acceptable at all. I can't imagine accepting that if FI said that to me. What an utter disregard to your feelings.

Ask if you can agree to choose a venue that you both agree upon. The hotel is just not an option for you if you won't be happy marrying there.  If he doesn't like the B & B is for him, look for a third option. 

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Options
    Well, I stood firm....despite HATING arguments....and he agreed to the Inn.  He said he just wanted to stop arguing about it (usually, I feel like that).  I know he really enjoyed the Inn as well, I think he just needs a moment to deal with not getting his first pick.  I told him I'd happily compromise on other items, so we are moving to April instead of October since he likes Spring better.  Heck, it means less rushing on a few items too....

I think the ideal would have been both falling in love with the same site, but compromise is sometimes just more of a reality (and def important in a marriage!).  I would NOT want something one of us DISLIKED, but that's not the case....he got his 2nd choice on venue, I got my 2nd choice on month.  I did offer doing another venue-hunting trip, but he said he didn't feel we needed to do so...

.I'll keep reminding him about the cool billiards room for the boys to hang out in while the girls get ready (thrown in for free b/c he's military).  And that I got the Inn to give us an anniversary night stay since I mentioned that was one of his arguments for the other site.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards