Registry and Gift Forum

Would someone side-eye us for this?

We are in the process of registering. We recently bought our first nice HDTV (I know, we were way behind with our tube tv for years! Even my own parents made fun of us for it). What we haven't been able to get is a blu-ray player of any type. I've seen past registries for friends that included one. Would this be appropriate or a faux pas?

Along the same line, we would rather have a PS3, so we can have the blu-ray plus all the other stuff (HD Netflix and other Internet tv stuff, and of course games are a plus). This would be similar in price to the blu-ray players we've researched. Would this be okay, equal, or worse than registering for the player?

Re: Would someone side-eye us for this?

• GB520GB520 member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited March 2013
    I think its a little tacky but I've seen TV's on registry check lists. I honestly wouldn't register for a PS3 because you can get discounts on them for Xmas or Black Friday. I got my fiance one a few years ago for Xmas. It was $200 but came with some games, controllers etc. 
    I plan on registering for items that I won't think my guests will buy but I will use the completion discount for. You can always use that as an excuse. Some people put a couch or other big ticket items on and don't think people actually will buy them. The discount alone is a reason to put a big ticket item on if you ask me! But I don't think $200 is a big ticket item... more like a couch or something like that.
  • I personally dislike electronics on registries.  They are out of date within a year or two, and they start to feel sort of disposable, you know?

If you want a PS3 (I would do a roku + inexpensive bluray player personally - once the video game thing starts it's hard to stop), then just decide to spend some of the cash you receive on one after the wedding.  PP is correct that black friday and holiday sales are really the time to buy them anyway.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I think it's fine. In my circle, people register for electronics.  We registered for a TV (not because we really thought we would get it, but the completion discount was nice).  We just bought our friends a Kinect for their wedding.  And a group of us went together to get other friends a TV for their wedding.  I wouldn't side-eye it.
  • I dont think I would side eye a blu ray player, but I think I would with the PS3. Only because it just makes me think you only want it for video games. I was just researching blu ray players the other day, because we want another one for the bedroom. There are some pretty cool features on some of them. The one we currently have has internet accessiblilty when connected to an ethernet cord, netflix, pandora, hulu and can also play regular DVDs. We only paid $100 for it at Walmart. Its a vizio. The one we are currently looking into connects to the internet wirelessly instead of with a cord. Its like only like $20 more. Just saying, you can get a blu ray player that does everything the ps3 does, except play video games for alot cheaper than a ps3.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I'd say go for it.  A lot of couples are putting more fun stuff on their registries these days.  My FI and I travel to see friends often, and we are always borrowing my dads GPS.  Yes, I could go get one on Black Friday, or ask for it for Christmas, but it was something that when we went to register, we though; "Hey, it would be something nice for us to finally have together." So we registered for one. We were going to put some lawn games on ours too, once they began to pop up into the stores. Like a PP said, if you're hesitant, leave it off and use GC or cash that you get to go buy one.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-someone-side-eye-us-for-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:34Discussion:1ca9e9e4-748f-4a98-bf48-38f8eb6a501dPost:c8c3ec0b-92d1-4e4e-b3a9-49003eefc9b3">Re: Would someone side-eye us for this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]It depends, do you play video games as a couple? If I knew you were both into gaming, I wouldn't side eye it, but if I thought it was more for you or more for FI, and not something you'd use together, then I would. If you aren't sure how it will go over, I'd leave it off. You get some cash gifts and you can use that toward the PS3.
    Posted by Liatris2010[/QUOTE]

<div>Yes, the games are definitely something we do together (though I would say I am more of a gamer than he is, but he's also really wanted a PS3 for some games that aren't very good on our wii).  </div><div>
    </div>
  • Thank you all for your advice!  Since it seems to be a little split, and also it seems that it depends on your circle of people. I'm thinking we might just add it, and expect to buy it with the discount (I know it's not like an expensive tv, but it's something we've been wanting for months, just like the kitchenaid mixer...)  

In our circle a lot of people before us have registered for similar electronics.  I'm still not 100% sure if we'll register for it or just wait and buy it with cash, but I'll keep thinking.

• Another alternative, FI and I got our PS3 used at Game Stop for only about $60. You might want to try contacting local stores and see if they have any used systems. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I personally would not side eye it. If I had a problem with it, I just wouldn't buy it. If this is something that you enjoy doing together and can be found at a place where you registered for other thing, go for it! 
  • I wouldn't side eye it, but if a friend had it on a registry I probably wouldn't buy it because I have a more traditional mindset. It really depends on your circle of friends, I would say.
  • My FI wanted one as a blu ray player, so I put it on the Amazon registry with a note that stated its intended purpose.  I felt wierd putting it up without it!
    "I give you this ring as a symbol of my vow, and with all that I am, and all that I have, I honor you."image
    July 12, 2013
  • best buy sears k-mart target walmart or amazon.com $25 and $50 GIFT CARDS X 5 = you are all set, and nobody is seeing it as an over the top request.

Gift cards are so prevelant.  I know some thing of them as tacky but for our friends and family they are a more popular gift option than most other ideas besides cash.
  • edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_registering-gifts_would-someone-side-eye-us-for-this?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:34Discussion:1ca9e9e4-748f-4a98-bf48-38f8eb6a501dPost:a6fbf218-871f-44e9-852d-08dc1073b627">Re: Would someone side-eye us for this?</a>:
    [QUOTE]best buy sears k-mart target walmart or amazon.com $25 and $50 GIFT CARDS X 5 = you are all set, and nobody is seeing it as an over the top request. Gift cards are so prevelant.  I know some thing of them as tacky but for our friends and family they are a more popular gift option than most other ideas besides cash.
    Posted by Ella and Pedro[/QUOTE]

Yes, many registries even give you the option to register for it. We have gift cards on our BBB and Pottery barn registries (no one bought them yet though).
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards