Second Weddings
Options

Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol

So...with all my my daily responsibilities (8 kids, job, etc) ...plus wedding planning, I was already at my limit for being able to handle the stress , right?

Get this....we have to move our entire household between now and the wedding 2 months and 2 weeks away)
I'm kicking myself for wanting a wedding. FI had suggested a long time ago that we elope in vegas...I could still wear the big white dress lol, etc., but NOOOO, i wanted a special day with meaning family & friends (and the kids )
I definitely feel like I've bit off more than I can chew. Really feeling like things that still need to be done will fall through the cracks.
Sorry just venting, I'm assuming things will work out, but this is seriously poor timing :s
Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
 CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!

Re: Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol

• Options
    Yes it does suck! boo! 
    And thats not a bad idea, I can probably swing that amount just to have the truck loading/unloading help, because lets face it...your friends are always your friends until you move then they are MIA lol
    FI has a bad knee from his time in the service too, and I don't want him hurting himself, he already walks with a limp.

Where did you find this crew of guys? were they friends of yours or an actual business?
  • Options
    thanks!  I really appreciate this, in times past I have always had trouble getting help.  I'll update you on he sitch, hoping I can find it for that price around here.
  • Options
    Oh, I hear you! 

I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of this month (like, next week ... gulp!) and into the house that we'll share after we're married at the end of April. 

I'm trying to remind myself that I will be sooooo glad next month when I don't have all the moving stress on top of the last minute wedding stuff ... but at the moment this is not.fun.at.all!!!

And I don't have 8 children!  Just 2 cats and so far they're lust loving all the extra boxes that are around ...

Internet chocolate to you!!!
  • Options
    MikesAngieMikesAngie member
    Name Dropper 5 Love Its Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2013
    I feel your pain - moving sucketh huge!  

We had a huge master bath remodel just weeks before our wedding.  We had a leak that went to the outside of the house and it had to do with how the bathroom was designed. 

I hope that you find help with the move, or at least with loading and unloading the truck.  With 8 kids though you should have some help with packing (I hope).  My dad was a nomad when I was growing up we moved at least once a year - if not more. By the time I was in 3rd grade I was the champ at packing my room and helping with the rest of our stuff. 

Thinking positive thoughts for your move and wedding though. 

Edited to make sense.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_kind-of-wishing-we-had-gone-to-vegas-right-now-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:dbfc2311-8af6-45d3-bb16-2f008a23a724Post:c913b9a1-99c4-4fb4-84de-e9c714af55c7">Re: Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I hear you!  I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of this month (like, next week ... gulp!) and into the house that we'll share after we're married at the end of April.  I'm trying to remind myself that I will be sooooo glad next month when I don't have all the moving stress on top of the last minute wedding stuff ... but at the moment this is not.fun.at.all!!! And I don't have 8 children!  Just 2 cats and so far they're lust loving all the extra boxes that are around ... Internet chocolate to you!!!
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]

Reppunzel, when I moved 8 months ago, I moved with 3 cats and was afraid one or all of them would freak out and start marking everything - cat owners know what I mean.  So before we transported the cats to the new house, I sprinkled catnip all over EVERYWHERE and left it for about 24 hours.  No point in vacuuming during that time anyway with everyone trooping in and out.  Worked like a charm.  The problem cat is better behaved than she has ever been, I don't even have to keep her separated from the other female anymore.
  • Options
    Beautifulmama - I had a chain moving company help with my move and hired them by the hour just to move the heavy furniture. One of their options was also just a team of guys, from 1 to however many you want, to load and unload your trucks.  I have a 23 year old son so he, his friends and my fiance took care of the boxes but it was so worth the money to have the moving company do the piano and the other heavy furniture.  I made a list of the furniture from the heaviest to lightest, had them work their way down the list for a set amount of time, then drive the truck and unload and place it.  They got way down the list so all we had left was light tables and chairs.  Good luck!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_kind-of-wishing-we-had-gone-to-vegas-right-now-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:dbfc2311-8af6-45d3-bb16-2f008a23a724Post:1de56033-43ce-4354-9119-b18fe37e5462">Re: Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol : Reppunzel, when I moved 8 months ago, I moved with 3 cats and was afraid one or all of them would freak out and start marking everything - cat owners know what I mean.  So before we transported the cats to the new house, I sprinkled catnip all over EVERYWHERE and left it for about 24 hours.  No point in vacuuming during that time anyway with everyone trooping in and out.  Worked like a charm.  The problem cat is better behaved than she has ever been, I don't even have to keep her separated from the other female anymore.
    Posted by christal8[/QUOTE]

<em>Thank you</em> for that tip, Christal!  We'll be over there doing some pre-cleaning a day or so before (the house hasn't been lived in for several months), so I'll do the 'nip then.
  • Options
    I hired a moving company the last time we moved. It was the best thing I ever did. I paid about $450-$500 which included a $100 worth of tips. I found the company on Craigslist. They were amazing. I didn't have to do anything... I don't know why I didn't do it the last several times I moved...NO STRESS!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_kind-of-wishing-we-had-gone-to-vegas-right-now-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:dbfc2311-8af6-45d3-bb16-2f008a23a724Post:c913b9a1-99c4-4fb4-84de-e9c714af55c7">Re: Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh, I hear you!  I'm moving out of my apartment at the end of this month (like, next week ... gulp!) and into the house that we'll share after we're married at the end of April.  I'm trying to remind myself that I will be sooooo glad next month when I don't have all the moving stress on top of the last minute wedding stuff ... but at the moment this is not.fun.at.all!!! And I don't have 8 children!  Just 2 cats and so far they're lust loving all the extra boxes that are around ... Internet chocolate to you!!!
    Posted by reppunzel[/QUOTE]

<div>Thank you Ill take it!  :)  but just a bite, gotta fit into that dress soon right? haha!!</div><div>and cats plus boxes are HILARIOUS, and paper bags , too much fun!</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_kind-of-wishing-we-had-gone-to-vegas-right-now-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:dbfc2311-8af6-45d3-bb16-2f008a23a724Post:d44bcd77-e50d-4425-8c3a-fb7e778e4995">Re: Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wish I lived near you.  I'd come over there and help you pack, even with my bad back.  Moving is SUCH a suckfest.  I hope to never do it again.
    Posted by RetreadBride[/QUOTE]

<div>oh so true, and thank you thats really cool of you :)</div><div>
    </div><div>I know this will probably not be our last, as I hope to possibly purchase a home next year, so we will most likely be moving again next year. Gone are the days when a family stayed in the same home for years or generations.</div>
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_kind-of-wishing-we-had-gone-to-vegas-right-now-lol?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special%20Topic%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:35Discussion:dbfc2311-8af6-45d3-bb16-2f008a23a724Post:00d4ad2c-2fc0-4061-b847-ee669a85daaa">Re: Kind of wishing we had gone to vegas right now lol</a>:
    [QUOTE]I hired a moving company the last time we moved. It was the best thing I ever did. I paid about $450-$500 which included a $100 worth of tips. I found the company on Craigslist. They were amazing. I didn't have to do anything... I don't know why I didn't do it the last several times I moved...NO STRESS!
    Posted by MuppetFan[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>yeah im not sure thats in our budget, sadly...i'd love to do that, but even just the mention of hiring a team of guys to come help, FI says nah we don't need that our friends will come (enter me giving him that look like, ok stop living in dreamland lol)</div><div>
    </div><div>I think I'm going to call around and get prices on the moving helpers, have them on standby lol because I know how it goes...people say they will help you and then bam moving day comes and tragedegy miraculously strikes every helper you had LOL</div><div>
    </div><div>I know my big kids could help (ages 18, 15, 13 and 11) but even just hiring 3-4 big guys for the big furniture would be a huge help.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>Now just to find boxes and start packing lol

</div>
  • Options
    Yeah it wasn't exactly in our budget either but I've never regretted it.  FI is disabled so can't help, but volunteered everyone in his family and all of his friends....my dad had surgery the same day....and I know I was putting them all out by asking them for help. When we moved out of our house, our new house wasn't ready yet, so I had to put everything in storage for a few weeks. I spent a few weeks filling it up myself, and asked for help for the big pieces of furniture and people helped us but it was on their only day off etc... So 2 weeks later when we were ready to move again, I just didn't want to feel the pressure of getting them all the day they were available and taking their only day again so close to the last time.

My FMIL hired people to help her move once. They were just there to handle the big things and boxes mostly.
  • Options
    I think we found a house!!!!!! lets hope it works out, I'll be MIA for awhile...Only 2 months 1 week till the big day, lots to do before then (including writing vows, picking music, ordering a cake, finishing centerpieces, making sashes for my bridemaids possibly and finding outfits for my boys to wear.) no big deal...RIGHT?! LOL
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards