Just Engaged and Proposals

I've waited 28 years to plan my wedding, now I'm finally engaged!!

My boyfriend proposed to me a couple of weeks ago and I still can't believe it's real.  Even though I was expecting a proposal this spring and was pretty sure I knew which ring he'd choose, I broke down in tears the moment he got on his knee.  I replay his words in my head and smile to myself.  On top of having a local lighthouse-type building in town (Portland, Maine) opened specially for us in the off-season so he could propose at the top with the view of the bay that we boat on all summer and the city that is my new and dearly-loved home, he got us a room at a beautiful B&B in town.  It was so lovely to have a little getaway to savor our newly-engaged glow.  Those 24 hours were so sweet and I will cherish that memory forever.  Now I've got the man of my dreams, an absolutely gorgeous perfect ring, and the venue I've imagined my wedding at since I was a kid.  I'm so looking forward to planning the rest of my dream wedding and the life I'm looking forward to sharing with my best friend.

Re: I've waited 28 years to plan my wedding, now I'm finally engaged!!

• Congratulations on your engagement! Have you set your wedding date yet?
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Yes.  August 30, 2014.  Booked the venue too.
  • Congratulations and welcome! Good that you've picked a date!
  • Congrats and happy planning!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Congrats and welcome!  Do you have pics of the ring?
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Congratulations, but learn now that this isn't just your wedding, it is your groom's as well. And you need to make joint decisions with him in agreeance. If it was just your day you'd be marrying yourself. In other words change your pronouns. 
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Congrats!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ive-waited-28-years-to-plan-my-wedding-now-im-finally-engaged?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:683Discussion:aee459b7-437c-4b1d-ad05-d74d511ff9d7Post:1812c15e-1396-4b93-aca4-73eb2fd10606">Re: I've waited 28 years to plan my wedding, now I'm finally engaged!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations, but learn now that this isn't just your wedding, it is your groom's as well. And you need to make joint decisions with him in agreeance. If it was just your day you'd be marrying yourself. In other words change your pronouns. 
    Posted by JBSMADA10[/QUOTE]

I guess we should ban all singular pronouns then, since no wedding ever involves only one person. Maybe I will just never understand TK...thus why I lurk and never post...except when I see something that truly stands out. :)
  • Hey lover. Fancy seeing you here.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • edited March 2013
    In Response to Re:I've waited 28 years to plan my wedding, now I'm finally engaged!!:Congratulations, but learn now that this isn't just your wedding, it is your groom's as well. And you need to make joint decisions with him in agreeance. If it was just your day you'd be marrying yourself. In other words change your pronouns.nbsp; Posted by JBSMADA10 Well your a winner and a half. Chances are OP knows its not just "her day." Duh. God forbid she be excited. Perhaps you should untwist the wad your panties seem to be in. Congrats, yellowbat. Don't let trolls rain on your parade.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • YellobatYellobat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_just-engaged-proposals_ive-waited-28-years-to-plan-my-wedding-now-im-finally-engaged?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:683Discussion:aee459b7-437c-4b1d-ad05-d74d511ff9d7Post:1812c15e-1396-4b93-aca4-73eb2fd10606">Re: I've waited 28 years to plan my wedding, now I'm finally engaged!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Congratulations, but learn now that this isn't just your wedding, it is your groom's as well. And you need to make joint decisions with him in agreeance. If it was just your day you'd be marrying yourself. In other words change your pronouns. 
    Posted by JBSMADA10[/QUOTE]

I don't want to start some message board war, there's enough strife in the world and women drag each other down way too much as it is.  This entire site is dedicated to one of the most wonderful and exciting things in the whole world...finding and committing ourselves to another person for love, support, and possibly child-rearing.  How could there possibly be any cause for anything but excitement and happiness and congratulations on these boards?  That's why I'm so flummoxed by people who offer nasty comments and unsolicited judgemental advice on here.  You are absolutely right that a wedding is the joining of two people and therefore they should each have input on the details of the day.  But if you knew or asked anything about me and my fiance, or didn't give me advice which seems to come from an assumption that I'm some bridezilla and it's my way or the highway, you'd learn that I took my fiance to visit my dream venue.  He didn't have strong feelings about it one way or the other and I was upset about that because I wanted this to be entirely something we plan together.  He told me he wants this to be mostly my baby to plan, he wants me to plan the wedding of my dreams because I love it and it makes him happy to see me enjoying this.  He asked that I include him only in decisions that make sense for him to be included in.  So I am of course asking him to be involved as much as possible.  I guarantee 99%+ of the women on here who talk about "my wedding" are saying that simply because it is their wedding, the wedding in which they will be getting married, and in which their groom will be getting married, as opposed to anyone else's wedding, not because they're sselfish crazies.  You yourself said, in a post on 11/5/2012: "I've since...fell in love and am now planning <strong>my</strong> wedding for next fall..." (response to thread "How long were you together before he proposed?).  So personal pronouns happen to the best of us.

In other news, September weddings are the loveliest, I think.  Unfortunately my venue had run out of fall dates for 2014.  Enjoy the next 6 months, I bet they'll be exciting!  Do you have ring or dress pics?
  • I have an update to my proposal!  So we sent the ring off to be resized a little over a week ago.  My fiance had the day off yesterday and I was working and found out it was waiting for us at FedEx, so I asked him to pick it up.  We had a rough week this week and needed to reconnect with a dinner date Friday night.  We went to a cozy place he'd never been to.  In the car on the way there he handed me the FedEx box but the ring box inside was empty!  So I knew he had it hidden somewhere and thought he just wanted to make me wait till we got home or something to give it back to me.  I got up to go the the bathroom after our meal.  On my way back he was standing in the middle of the little restaurant with the ring in his hand and asked me if I minded being embarassed.  I said no, and he got down on one knee right there and got everyone's attention and said "a few weeks ago I asked this woman to marry me, and if you can believe it, she said yes."  We're pretty sure he then said something about how we hadn't had the ring for a while, but it was kind of a blur and he may have forgotten to mention that crucial point.  So then, still on his knee, he said "so this time I wanted witnesses."  And then he asked me to marry him again.  I was so touched and felt so special, especially because he is a pretty reserved guy, and doing that so publicly couldn't be more unlike him.  It was so nice to get to enjoy "getting engaged" again a little, and definitely ended a bad week on a wonderful note!
  • YellobatYellobat member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited March 2013

Here's the ring:

It's from Brilliant Earth, and it's hard to see here, but it's got a botanical feel with tiny diamond leaves on either side of the round center solitaire.  It's exactly what I wanted.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards