Chit Chat

Water or Coke?

I saw this posted on facebook this morning and thought it was really interesting. I wonder if the facts about the coke are really true. If so...I am NEVER drinking coke again (not that I really do anyways).

WATER
1. 75% of Americans are... chronically dehydrated.

2. In 37% of Americans, the thirst mechanism is so weak that it is often mistaken for hunger.

3. Even MILD dehydration will slow down one’s metabolism as much as 30%.

4. One glass of water will shut down midnight hunger pangs for almost 100% of the dieters studied in a University of Washington study.

5. Lack of water, the #1 trigger of daytime fatigue.

6. Preliminary research indicates that 8-10 glasses of water a day could significantly ease back and joint pain for up to 80% of sufferers.

7. A mere 2% drop in body water can trigger fuzzy short-term memory, trouble with basic math, and difficulty focusing on the computer screen or on a printed page.

8. Drinking 5 glasses of water daily decreases the risk of colon cancer by 45%, plus it can slash the risk of breast cancer by 79%, and one is 50% less likely to develop bladder cancer.

And now for the properties of COKE

1. In many states (in the USA) the highway patrol carries two gallons of Coke in the truck to remove blood from the highway after a car accident.

2. You can put a T-bone steak in a bowl of coke and it will be gone in two days.

3. To clean a toilet: Pour a can of Coca-Cola into the toilet bowl and let the “real thing” sit for one hour, then flush clean. The citric acid in Coke removes stains from vitreous china.

4. To remove rust spots from chrome car bumpers: Rub the bumper with a rumpled-up piece of aluminum foil dipped in Coca-Cola.

5. To clean corrosion from car battery terminals: Pour a can of Coca-Cola over the terminals to bubble away the corrosion.

6. To loosen a rusted bolt: Applying a cloth soaked in Coca-Cola to the rusted bolt for several minutes.

7. To bake a moist ham: Empty a can of Coca-Cola into the baking pan, wrap the ham in aluminum foil, and bake. Thirty minutes before the ham is finished, remove the foil, allowing the drippings to mix with the Coke for a sumptuous brown gravy.

8. To remove grease from clothes: Empty a can of coke into a load of greasy clothes, add detergent, and run through a regular cycle. The Coca-Cola will help loosen grease stains. It will also clean road haze from your windshield.

For Your Info
1. The active ingredient in Coke is phosphoric acid. Its pH is 2.8. It will dissolve a nail in about 4 days. Phosphoric acid also leaches calcium from bones and is a major contributor to the rising increase in osteoporosis.

2. To carry Coca-Cola syrup (the concentrate) the commercial truck must use the Hazardous material place cards reserved for Highly corrosive materials.

3. The distributors of coke have been using it to clean the engines of their trucks for about 20 years!

Now the question is, would you like a glass of water or coke?
Anniversary

Re: Water or Coke?

• When I was in first grade. A Kid found a dinosaur bone on the playground. Turned out it was a chicken bone but the teacher used it as a science experiment and put it in her Coke. It was completely dissolved by the time we emptied it out (maybe a week later?)

I am a diet orange soda person myself, an honorary member of the Waponi Woo.

image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• I love Coke.  Pepsi tastes like flat Coke to me, bleh!

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• O.o Geeze. I have heard some of that before, but not all of it. I try to drink 3 of my big water bottles a day instead of soda just because I hate drinking away my calories. Such a waste....the only time it isn't a waste is after a long night of drinking whiskey. Coke tastes so freshing the next day!
  • I've heard most of those and I still like my coke. But I drink far more water than coke. While coke still isn't good or you, you also have to remember that the acid in your stomach is pretty strong. So while coke may be good for cleaning stuff, your stomach acid could probably do something similar.
  • I used to be a big orange soda drinker. Then something clicked (not sure what) that soda is bad for you. Now I drink sprite zero occasionally with a mixed drink. I never used to drink water at all. I never felt thirsty or dehydrated. Once I started drinking water I became a whole new person (literally).

I've never seen the facts laid out like this so I thought it was pretty interesting...and a little gross. After reading this I filled up my Tervis too!
    Anniversary
  • Blah.  I don't have time for this propaganda.  If you like, Coke drink it in moderation.  Drink more water.

The end.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:be0cf72b-1eb0-4241-ac7e-cd49bc6c5f82">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]O.o Geeze. I have heard some of that before, but not all of it. I try to drink 3 of my big water bottles a day instead of soda just because I hate drinking away my calories. Such a waste....the only time it isn't a waste is after a long night of drinking whiskey. Coke tastes so freshing the next day!
    Posted by winelover123[/QUOTE]

Ah yes... the carbonation cure to a hangover.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:d3f289b8-a0aa-4a01-949c-602994d0f7e5">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]This just in from the department of guilting people into healthier living: Soda is bad for you.  (This is not directed at you Jessa. I realize you didn't write the post and just found the facts interesting. I just found the original writer's tone insufferable)
    Posted by HoorayForSoup[/QUOTE]

Although I will say they added a nice little cooking tip in there with the ham.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:dc9531e5-e0ad-401a-a03e-a423e597872e">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I do find it entertaining that I first saw this list of facts over a decade ago but all of a sudden it's making a resurgence (this is the third or fourth time I've seen it in 2 days). OP- Did you really not know this stuff already?
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty damn ignorant. I am oblivious to a lot of things. This being one of many. I've never seen this stuff before today.
    Anniversary
  • My stomach can't tolerate soda.  I keep telling myself it's a good thing when I read things like this.  I still miss it though...  I'm convinced that nearly everything is bad for you in some way if you have too much of it.  I read somewhere that if you have too much water, you can throw off your electrolytes or something.  Then again, I read that on the internet so I'm not sure how true that is...
  • MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:f8770921-fed9-4dff-aa87-c837289ec036">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Water or Coke? : you're a flibbertigibbet
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]

Brain cloud! I knew it. Well, I di- I didn't <em>know</em> it, but - I <em>knew</em> it.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Yum Yum.

My humanities prof. in college had 8 year old McDonald's fries ina fish bowl. They looked like they were day old. I still love McDonald's fries. Especially with a Coke ;)

I knew most of that stuff. It's neat and good as a reminder that we need to move to a healthier lifestyle. On that note, I just put my redbull can in the recycling. :)
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:d6bdfbee-5925-4639-afba-1cc8016a9594">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Yum Yum. My humanities prof. in college had 8 year old McDonald's fries ina fish bowl. They looked like they were day old. I still love McDonald's fries. Especially with a Coke ;) I knew most of that stuff. It's neat and good as a reminder that we need to move to a healthier lifestyle. On that note, I just put my redbull can in the recycling. :)
    Posted by sydaries[/QUOTE]

Ok, I have to thread-jack a sec- Syd, what is the deal with that sig quote, lol?

Back on topic- I drink a ton of water during the day and a ton of tea.  Every once in a while, especially when it get's really hot, I will crave a Coke and it is the only thing that will quench my thirst.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:a932bcdf-b632-4eae-ac21-67e20f7d7e40">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Water or Coke? : Ok, I have to thread-jack a sec- Syd, what is the deal with that sig quote, lol? Back on topic- I drink a ton of water during the day and a ton of tea.  Every once in a while, especially when it get's really hot, I will crave a Coke and it is the only thing that will quench my thirst.
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

The Jacking --
    A few moons ago a woman demoted her FSIL? from a reader AND demoted the other reader because FSIL was getting a boob job in time for the wedding. She went on about how she gets mistaken for celebs and her FSIL is like a 3/10. She didn't see how she was being a stupidasshoe. I told her that I wanted FSIL to whip them out and sent her some ideas for red titty tassles.

The Coke --
    I hate drinking soda in the heat! Because then my mouth gets hot and feels fuzzy, like Lia's.
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:a932bcdf-b632-4eae-ac21-67e20f7d7e40">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Water or Coke? : Ok, I have to thread-jack a sec- Syd, what is the deal with that sig quote, lol? 
    Hahahahaha!   A bride wanted to kick her (FSIL) out of her wedding for getting a boob job b/c she was afraid she would debut her new boobies at the wedding in some skankarella dress. <div>
    </div><div>
    </div>
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:7cc79d50-d283-407d-a46e-19cad6fc76ca">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Water or Coke? : The Jacking -- A few moons ago a woman demoted her FSIL? from a reader AND demoted the other reader because FSIL was getting a boob job in time for the wedding. She went on about how she gets mistaken for celebs and her FSIL is like a 3/10. She didn't see how she was being a stupidasshoe. I told her that I wanted FSIL to whip them out and sent her some ideas for red titty tassles. The Coke -- I hate drinking soda in the heat! Because then my mouth gets hot and feels fuzzy, like Lia's.

Her actual sister was the reader. I think she was trying to be fair. If she demoted her FSIL then she had to make it even and demote her own sister. That was a fun day.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:7cc79d50-d283-407d-a46e-19cad6fc76ca">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Water or Coke? : The Jacking -- A few moons ago a woman demoted her FSIL? from a reader AND demoted the other reader because FSIL was getting a boob job in time for the wedding. She went on about how she gets mistaken for celebs and her FSIL is like a 3/10. She didn't see how she was being a stupidasshoe. I told her that I wanted FSIL to whip them out and sent her some ideas for red titty tassles. The Coke -- I hate drinking soda in the heat! Because then my mouth gets hot and feels fuzzy, like Lia's.

Wooooooow.

• Oh and you forgot to mention that the bride's own FATHER even said the FSIL was a 3
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:59ee6477-7ccd-4490-bbc7-09a2138dc0a0">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Blah.  I don't have time for this propaganda.  If you like, Coke drink it in moderation.  Drink more water. The end.
    Posted by Joy2611[/QUOTE]

Exactly.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:d322183e-1404-403e-8873-0c461f55dfc6">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Oh and you forgot to mention that the bride's own FATHER even said the FSIL was a 3
    Posted by Jessalyn2013[/QUOTE]

FFS, what a nice family.  So because FSIL was ugly, she shouldn't be allowed to get her boobs done and possibly upstage the celebrity hot bride on <em>HER</em> wedding day?  I'd convince the entire bridal party to get boob jobs, lol!

• I use to drink a lot of soda (or "pop" as I call it) but then I gave it up for lent a few years ago, and havent drank it that much since then. I could not believe how much weight I lost just from not drinking pop. I occasionally have a diet coke, or a diet mtn dew, but that is maybe once every few months. I dont really drink a lot of water either. I drink a lot of crystal light juices, the ones you can just throw into a pitcher of water. I just dont like drinking regular water, unless its Smart Water. I dont know, but there is something about Smart Water that taste sooo good.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Sierra that's exactly why I never drank water. I never liked the "taste" of it. I learned that my body needed it so I have to suck it up and drink it. It's not so bad once you get used to it. I can only drink bottled or filtered water though, no way can I drink it straight from the tap.
    Anniversary
  • s-aries8990s-aries8990 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:de9d68b2-e37d-488b-b08c-b5c756730ea6">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I use to drink a lot of soda (or "pop" as I call it) but then I gave it up for lent a few years ago, and havent drank it that much since then. I could not believe how much weight I lost just from not drinking pop. I occasionally have a diet coke, or a diet mtn dew, but that is maybe once every few months. I dont really drink a lot of water either. I drink a lot of crystal light juices, the ones you can just throw into a pitcher of water. I just dont like drinking regular water, unless its Smart Water. I dont know, but there is s<strong>omething about Smart Water that taste sooo good.</strong>
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

I agree. It's stupid, so I only buy it if I'm already stopped at a gas station.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:823dee97-a77b-4b58-b965-bb4614426b04">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Water or Coke? : FFS, what a nice family.  So because FSIL was ugly, she shouldn't be allowed to get her boobs done and possibly upstage the celebrity hot bride on HER wedding day?  I'd convince the entire bridal party to get boob jobs, lol!

That whole thread was a isht show if I ever saw one. That thread and follow up threads all got deleted.
    Anniversary
  • As a kid my doc told my mom to give me warm Coke from a can whenever I was sick, especially when we would traveling. Now whenever I am sick or hungover, I will only drink warm Coke from a can.
    You never lose by loving. You always lose by holding back. - Barbara DeAngelis
  • Stuff like this makes me admire the capacity of other people's bladders.  No really, I'm like, mythical unicorn levels amazed at people who can drink 8 glasses of water in a day.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:e4b2d473-a1da-4294-b0b7-516cea89252a">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stuff like this makes me admire the capacity of other people's bladders.  No really, I'm like, mythical unicorn levels amazed at people who can drink 8 glasses of water in a day.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

I drink 5-6 glasses of water a day plus tea. . . tons of iced tea in summer.

BUT

I'm peeing all day too!  I like to think of it as keeping my liver and kidneys in shape :-)

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:e4b2d473-a1da-4294-b0b7-516cea89252a">Re: Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Stuff like this makes me admire the capacity of other people's bladders.  No really, I'm like, mythical unicorn levels amazed at people who can drink 8 glasses of water in a day.
    Posted by Peledreamsofrain[/QUOTE]

This is true... although you get used to it. When I first started drinking water I would literally go every hour, now I can go 4-5 hours without having to.
    Anniversary
  • I have never heard of the warm coke thing. I must try this. We're doing drunk laser tag Saturday night so maybe I'll try on Sunday :)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_water-or-coke?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:7543d17c-3c67-4889-8ebf-8081011db615Post:7d9e6484-7f0a-4875-b71f-e2abc7eff1de">Re:Water or Coke?</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re:Water or Coke? :<strong> Warm coke is great to combat nausea and vomiting.  Pharmacies sell cola syrup which is just concentrated coke.</strong>  It was the only thing I could take when I was really sick a few years ago.  It is now my go to anti-nausea med. As long as you don't drink an entire 2 liter in one sitting you probably have nothing to worry about.
    Posted by LingerLonger1[/QUOTE]

I never knew this!! Thanks for the tip.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards