Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

Alternatives to Exchanging Rings

Hi!

My FH and I have decided to forego the ring exchange at our wedding. When reading through the wedding package from city hall, we discovered that exchanging rings is not a legal requirement for marriage (call me stupid, but I honestly thought it was!). We thought nice, engraved watches would be more our style. So, we're going to inform the officant and try to work the exchanging of the watches into the ceremony, somehow.

Have any of you decided to exchange anything other than rings? If so, what are your ideas? :)

Re: Alternatives to Exchanging Rings

• Options
    We're doing rings, but I've know people to do everything and anything (or nothing) instead. One thing off the top of my mind, a teacher friend if mine and her DH each got a matching tattoo on their ankle rather than rings. For another, the wife got a ring and the husband a watch. In our ceremony, the ring partis actually called "the exchanging of symbols" (UCC book of worship) with the line "what will you use to symbolize your love" or something like that. Most people use rings, but it's entirely up to each couple.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • Options
    My uncle is a surgeon so wearing a ring was never really on the top of his list and my aunt paints and she is very ditzy and tends to loose everything. They exchanged necklaces instead :)
  • Options

I'd be wary of watches because they are so easy to bang on something and break.  They also break down more easily because of the moving parts.  I do like the idea of necklaces.

I also love the tattoo rings that I've seen on some couples.  Can't get any more easy to care for than those!

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    exchange necklaces,fake rings from a buble gum machine until you get to the tat man, exchange sealed love letters with your true vows,exchange wrapped gifts..exchange iIS bracelets MR and MRS....i don't know i'm sorry i'm a ring girl :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    edited April 2013

You don't have to do rings of course, but to me the ring signifies an unending love (since there's no beginning or end to a circle) and the fact that it goes on your left finger is b/c lore says that finger has a vein or artery (one of the 2) that connects directly to your heart. That's why *I* like the notion of the exchanging rings but a watch seems very nice as well.

Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards