Wedding Reception Forum

Thoughts?

One of the venues that I absolutely loved has one downfall.  The bar/dancefloor/d.j. area are in a room connected to the reception room.  I love the venue, everything about it, but I don't know how I feel about the separate room.  While it will be nice for some guests who don't want to dance and want to talk without being drowned out by the music, the guests who want to dance or view the dance flood need to go into a separate room.  What are your thoughts on this?  Would it be a turn off for you, and if you were a guest, would you hate it?
Thanks for your input!

Re: Thoughts?

• I am not a fan. I don't dance, but I still would not want to be separated from the "action" of the reception, if that makes sense. If I were just sitting around chitchatting in a room, I wouldn't stay very long. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I attended a wedding like this.  I was not a fan.  I do like to dance but didn't at this wedding because the music sucked.  But to see all the spot light dances and such you had to stand around the perimeter of the room, which in heels was not the most comfortable thing to do.  Needless to say we didn't stay very long.

• Ro041Ro041 member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    I just went to a wedding like this.  It KILLED the dancing.  No one gets the urge to dance because no one can see the action.  So, the dance floor was a ghost town.  Everyone just hung out around the tables.  It kind of sucked, actually.  And ditto Maggie - we all had to crowd around the permiter of the room to see the first dances, and some people couldn't get in to see.  It was awkward seeing people jump up in the air to try to get a view.

• Thanks everyone!  That is how I felt too, and am leaning towards going to a different venue, but my FI keeps pushing for this one.  I don't know if it is because he could care less about dancing, but I am afraid it will kill the mood and people won't stay.  I love to dance, and want my guests to enjoy it also.  Now, to just change his mind!
  • more importantly the music should not be loud enough to drown people out.

• We went to a venue that had AMAZING food and really made a great package for me....but there was a fireplace in built into a wall in the middle of the room that made it very divisive and we kept thinking that half the people weren't going to be able to see the dancing.

When I dance, it's normally because people pull me in. No one's pulling anyone in from another room.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Half the fun of a wedding reception is watching inebriated family members try the electric slide.  True story, I'd be disappointed with that setup.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• klnealklneal member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to Re: Thoughts?:
    It is according to the age of the people your inviting.  I went to a 2 seperate weddings the 1st wedding we had to sit in the dance area.  It was loud and we were not able to talk.
    The 2nd weddiing had a seperate room, we could here the music but could also carry on a conservationl  If we wanted to dance it wasn't that far to go into the dance areal.
    A lot of people don't see each other except at weddings and funerals, so they enjoy catching up.  Especially 35+ and they will the be ones that will totally the extral room.
    I think it is a great ideal.  My daughter is getting married and we picked a venue and for me this was a plus for her not so much but when I explained my reasoning she thought it was a great ideal also.
  • In all honesty, I would love to go to a wedding like this. If I were you I would leave some room for spot light dances where everyone will be eating, but then you can carry the party to the other room. I don't like dancing except to country music, and I'm not a crazy dancer; so I would love to be able to sit and chat with people and not feel like a loser sitting there and watching others dance.

Do what you want, it's your wedding, but I honestly like the idea.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards