Wedding Cakes & Food Forum

Dinner or no dinner

My niece is getting married in June. The wedding is at 7pm so we are trying to decide whether or not we should have a sit down dinner or just hors d'oeuvre.  What's the etiquette for this?  Our mom says we have to have dinner, everyone will expect it but it we don't, it's going to save us $1,000.  What do we do?  Thank you!

Re: Dinner or no dinner

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_food-cakes_dinner-or-no-dinner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:23Discussion:ed759bf5-019f-4b8e-ae74-1acd094e3d1dPost:f83632d3-6738-4519-9bd3-c66f29235da4">Dinner or no dinner</a>:
    [QUOTE]My niece is getting married in June. The wedding is at 7pm so we are trying to decide whether or not we should have a sit down dinner or just hors d'oeuvre.  What's the etiquette for this?  Our mom says we have to have dinner, everyone will expect it but it we don't, it's going to save us $1,000.  What do we do?  Thank you!
    Posted by lizziemar1[/QUOTE]

At 7pm, I would serve dinner. If you want to just do appetizers and cake, I would push the ceremony to 8pm.
  • 7pm is dinner time in my world. 

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • 7pm is dinner time.  If you want to not serve dinner then move the wedding to 8pm or 2pm.
  • dinner people want food at 7pm 
  • AddieCakeAddieCake member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    edited April 2013
    I would definitely expect dinner at that time. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • At 7 pm you need to serve dinner.

• While I agree with the dinner vote HOWEVER...... I think that if your guests come not expecting dinner, that would be ok.  You could put something on your invitations telling that it is a small reception with no dinner service..... Or like someone else said, changethe time to 8PM. Although I think it needs to be asked whether the actual ceremony is starting at 7PM, or the reception? If the ceremony starts at 7 then I think you should be ok with not having dinner since there will be a wait anyways.  But like I said you could always make sure to add something on the invites about being only hors d'oevure, cake and drinks. That way people come prepared and dont have to sit through the ceremony (if thats when it starts) being hungry......
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards