Chit Chat

Concealed carry class

So DH, my dad, and myself are taking an all day concealed carry course on Saturday. Im excited, but not gonna lie, I'm also a bit nervous. Has anyone here taken a course?? How did you like it?

Re: Concealed carry class

• Most of our friends and my dad have taken it, FI hasn't taken it yet.

I don't know, they were all excited to go through it.  Our best man got it for Christmas and he was telling people about it for weeks.....I gave FI money towards it for his birthday but he bought a gun with it. I'm sure he'll go this summer., it's not a requirement here.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• Wow is it really just a class?

We have a proficiency class and about 8 gazillion other steps to get a concealed permit including 3 character letters and a valid reason (like documented threats against you). Once you get through the application, proficiency, and interview phase, you have a 16 hour class with the sheriff's department about when you are allowed to use your gun. I have heard that is a pretty boring class.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_concealed-carry-class?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d111ec6d-881f-48c4-8e42-ca2bfef54cd9Post:92cffe5b-c983-4ea6-ab56-016db62960f8">Re: Concealed carry class</a>:
    [QUOTE]Wow is it really just a class? We have a proficiency class and about 8 gazillion other steps to get a concealed permit including 3 character letters and a valid reason (like documented threats against you). Once you get through the application, proficiency, and interview phase, you have a 16 hour class with the sheriff's department about when you are allowed to use your gun. I have heard that is a pretty boring class.
    Posted by staar987[/QUOTE]

Wow. Here in the sticks, we fill out a form and send it to the police department with like...I dont know $25 or something...then the police department sends out 3 character letters the folks you listed..they fill those out and agree that you're an ok dude and send em back and a few days later, you can go pick up your permit. Done.

I don't have one, I can't imagine ever needing to conceal...but I've filled out character letters for 8 or so folks, including my mother.
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• H's friend tried to get one. He tried to cite that he might need one in the future to protect him from some kind of apocalyptic situation. I don't know how he made it past the application phase, but the interview was no joke. He was denied.

I have a friend that got one because her house was broken into a couple times. It was a crazy process. She even needed a doctor's note to say that there was nothing physically impairing her.

• I'm surprised you need that in TX.

It really is that easy. Heck it's only $10.00 for residents (I was wrong)

http://www.nh.gov/safety/divisions/nhsp/ssb/permitslicensing/plupr.html

No training class requirement, $10, no FBI check
    image   imageimage

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_concealed-carry-class?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:d111ec6d-881f-48c4-8e42-ca2bfef54cd9Post:418fb1e1-9cbc-46c2-b008-c90c1018cd10">Re: Concealed carry class</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Concealed carry class : That's seems way too easy. In Texas you have to take a 10-15 hour training class and it'll cost over $300. Then you have to get fingerprinted for an FBI background check which is another $10.
    Posted by missax[/QUOTE]

<div>That must just be Houston, because it is most definitely not that way where I am.</div><div>
    </div><div>In Amarillo you pay 120, and all you need is 8 hours. There is a guy that does it out on his property (a retired sherriff) and he is amazing. He cooks lunch for his class every Saturday, it's very laid back and low key. I really enjoyed it.</div>
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • Here in PA it is much easier...my H and daughter both have one and they simply went in person, filled out paperwork, got fingerprinted and paid a fee (pretty sure it was less than $50) They got the license in the mail within a few weeks.

imageimage
  • I live in the only state without the right to concealed carry. Cry
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My dad is an instructor here in Colorado! I've sat in on his classes many times, I think it can be a little boring but honestly its because I grew up sitting in on his classes and shooting with him. They are super important classes and very valuable and a lot of it will depend on who your instructor is. But it should be fun for someone who hasn't gone to one before and wants to learn! I highly encourage EVERY woman to go to one weather or not she is wanting to actually carry a gun or not because knowledge is power! Its always a good idea to know to how shoot a gun, you never know if one will be turned on you or if you will need to use one.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards