Catholic Weddings

Online precana

Has anyone done the online precana course? Our diocese offers it since our parish doesn't have a program anymore. I'm sure it's fine I just am surprisingly more anxious about not properly explaining answers via writing than meeting in person with a priest. ..I've learned my writing isn't as clear as I thought while posting on theknot.

Previously Alaynajuliana

Re: Online precana

• Well, we actually tried to join another parish that had it but we were told by the secretary that we weren't in the zip code they served and should go to the parish we attend now.  We have recieved some really strange treatment because we live in one diocese but are returning to our home parish in another diocese to be married.  

We honestly just want to do what we need to so that we can receive the Sacrament together, and this is really the only option we've been given.  

We just did the first worksheet, and it was very in depth...but I'm a little turned off because it was a $170 registration fee, and it seems like all these couple evaluations they suggest are an additional $40.  I kind of just want to make one big payment and not keep getting new bills I don't expect because then all I think is "Maybe we shouldn't do this one..." when I should just be thinking "Wow this evaluation really brought some things to light for us."  

Previously Alaynajuliana

• We've only done one "worksheet" but it's scripture heavy, and so far was asking us to analyze parts of the creation story in relation to gender roles and sin. I'm not totally sold on it, but it's recommended by our diocese so I'm hopeful it won't be too...different?

Previously Alaynajuliana

• We did our pre-cana online through: http://www.catholicmarriageprepclass.com/. My husband is in the Marine Corps and was stationed in California, while I was in Pennsylvania so this was our only option for pre-cana. We really enjoyed it. It took about an entire day to get through all of the videos, worksheets and discussions, but we thought it was great.
  • That sounds like a great way to begin exploring the Church's teaching on marriage and sexuality.

If you're looking for something more traditional, you could look at the marriage prep program where you live or look into the Engaged Encounter program directly in areas near you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Do most people have to pay for their pre-cana?  Ours was free through our church.  It was a 1 day all day session.
  • We paid. There were actually four different fees for different classes and stuff, totaling about $500. I have been told, however, that they never turn people away because of money if it is a problem.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • S+GS+G
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    I've used the same program (http://www.catholicmarriageprep.com/) and agree that it was good. The responses for us from our facilitator were personalized and provided a lot of additional references for us to look up if we wanted. They were also helpful in responding to any questions and concerns we had. It was much more convienent because you could spend as much time or as little as you needed on any area.
  • I called the parish we are getting married at, and the coordinator confirmed that they accept the online program!  But...he also, just during that call, threw in that part of our fee for using the parish also covers an EE day!  I would have loved to know that before choosing which program to do.  Not that I don't have the money, but obviously I would prefer a in person program.  

Mostly I think it's valuable for us to do things in person because we are both trying to take our faith more seriously as we embrace it as adults and as an engaged couple.  And frankly, it's too easy to giggle at difficult questions and make up an answer that sounds good than to have to answer to our real thoughts with another person.  Does that make me sound terrible?  I just really want to get the most out of the experience and know my own weaknesses...

Previously Alaynajuliana

• I can't remember what our EE weekend cost, but it was a really nice experience.  As an added bonus, the state of Texas knocks around $70 off the marriage license application fee if you show a certificate of completion of an approved pre-marriage counseling seminar.  =)
    Anniversary

• We're doing an all day seminar this Saturday with a deacon sponsor couple and I am definitely looking forward to it.  We are also in the midst of a Meyers-Briggs evaluation by the Monsignor of our parish who will be our officiant.  We thought we were going to do FOCCUS.  But he only does Meyers-Briggs for the couples he officiates for so we have to do several visits to complete that.
  • My parish gives the option of the one-day Pre Cana or a six-session course with a sponsor couple.  My parents are the sponsor couple, but fortunately, another couple volunteered to work with us.  The course is based on Christopher West's Theology of the Body (adapted from the teachings of JPII) and is very good.  It's also free, which made it a better option :)
  • Our church is semi different I guess.  Since our church is within a University, the church does 1 pre-cana course a year and most couples are those that either our priest will be marrying and/or former students of the school.  Our course was free and meals were provided.  It was all day, 9am to 9pm on a Saturday and highly informative.  I'm guessing we start the one on one sessions come summer to go over our FOCUS test and ceremony organization.  

We were totally prepared to pay for pre-cana but we were told not to.  We did have to pay the fee at the church where we are getting married.  Our priest hasn't informed us yet of what his travel expenses will be.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards