Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

Including our toddlers

We want to include our 3 year olds in the ceremony (boy and girl). I wanted to walk down the aisle with them, but nixed that as they will step on my dress lol. So now fiance wants to walk down the aisle hand in hand with them, do you think that would work? They are both going to carry a flower with a ring tied to it. (her's with mine, his with fiance's). We are also thinking of doing a pouring sand thing with them, not sure though. Besides lighting a unity candle any other things we could do together as a family?

Re: Including our toddlers

• My exact reason for not wanting to do the sand thing lol. I know my kids. They probably won't even stand up there with us, I see the grandmothers sitting up at the front with them. Good point about the rings. We'll do that :)
  • Several people here are going to say that just having your children there and taking pictures with them is enough to "include" them.

When all is said and done, your wedding is about you and your FI, and your children are peripheral to that.  Toddlers are not old enough to say vows (which they really shouldn't do anyway) or even get up and down the aisle by themselves, so don't overthink this and make it too complicated.
  • I say give them each a special momento before the wedding, have FI walk them down, sit them in the front row, and call it a day. If you don't mind me asking, are they your children together? Or is this a newly blended family?
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Yes together, and yes I know most people are going to say it's enough for them just to be there and in pics, but we want something special, without candles and sand. We are saving it for a family dance afterward (after the husband and wife dance) Thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards