Outdoor Weddings

Maui wedding...am I being ripped off?

We are having our wedding in maui and I am about to sign contract and put a deposit down with the wedding coordinator. All though she has given me what I wanted with my very small budget of $2,500.00 she listed my bamboo chuppala at $475...I feel like this is a little pricy, even though she has stayed in my budget, should I inquire who her vendor is and make sure Im not being taken advantage of or should I just leave it alone and be thankful she stayed in my budget

Please help Im torn

Re: Maui wedding...am I being ripped off?

• Do you mean chuppah?  I'm assuming this bamboo structure is where you will be married?

We married outside in Bermuda and were offered some simple looking structures that we could be married under.  My eyes bugged out of my head when I saw the prices. 

While it looks simple, people do need to deliver it, assemble it, you have it for a particular amount of time, and then it must be taken down and returned to wherever it came.  You are paying for all of that plus the time of labor.  Also - you are in a high-price area and an area with a large demand for weddings so things are going to be naturally more expensive.

$475 was very much on par with what we were quoted for similar structures. 

• edited March 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_outdoor-weddings_maui-weddingam-i-being-ripped-off?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:666Discussion:2ab6818e-d06c-4a7e-a2dc-f80fd501dc4bPost:73360503-33a7-472d-a984-8a97788fcdae">Maui wedding...am I being ripped off?</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are having our wedding in maui and I am about to sign contract and put a deposit down with the wedding coordinator. All though she has given me what I wanted with my very small budget of $2,500.00 she listed my bamboo chuppala at $475...I feel like this is a little pricy, even though she has stayed in my budget, should I inquire who her vendor is and make sure Im not being taken advantage of or should I just leave it alone and be thankful she stayed in my budget Please help Im torn
    Posted by srardin[/QUOTE]

Why are you using a chuppah if you don't know what it is?  If you are worried about spending the money on it when it's not religiously necessary, just nix it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I bought a bamboo chuppah used for $150.00.  I have seen them new about what you are paying to rent it. But, I did have to set it up myself, and I wasn't having a destination wedding, so I had the resources/time to do that.
  • I am originally from Maui and am in the proces of planning my wedding there next year. It depends on who the vendor is and how nice the chuppah is,but $475 sounds about right and even on the lower end. I'm having mine at a hotel and they are charging me $550.

I did look at the Island Rents Maui website, a local vendor, and it says they charge $175, although theirs may be simpler and delivery, fabric, etc. probably costs extra.
  • I am planning my wedding in Florida (so prices may be different) 
    Some things to consider:
    Does the chuppah have fresh or silk flowers on them?
    Does the chuppah have draped linen on it?
    Does that price include set up and deconstruction?

It does sound like a reasonable price.

If the chuppah is not being used for religious reasons there are some alternatives: a Bamboo arch instead which is cheaper. Ask if they have that option!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards