Wedding Reception Forum

What are you wearing to the reception?

I've heard of many brides just staying in their gowns during the reception, but I've also seen a lot of "reception dresses". Aslo, at my cousins wedding the bride just slipped into casual shorts and a teeshirt for travel. Just wondering what you plan to wear. And if you're planning to change, when will you do so?
"Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: What are you wearing to the reception?

• I'm staying in my gown during the reception. What do you plan to wear?
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • My wedding dress. 
  • I loved my wedding dress, so I had no intentions of taking it off until I absolutely had to. 
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • My wedding dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker

• my wedding dress.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • I am changing into the same dress my brides maids are wearing but in the yellow color instead of the purple. I know it is unconventional but with a July outdoor wedding I couldn't imagine carrying that dress the whole night. I am glad to have an alternate option.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I wore my wedding dress. I've personally never been to a wedding where the bride has worn anything different.
  • My FI is Indian and every Indian wedding I've been to with him the bride changes.  But those are super over the top weddings and very expensive.  I can't imagine spending all that money on a dress that you'd only wear for the ceremony.  

You said she changed to travel.  Are you talking about a "going away" outfit?  Traditionally, there would be a send off and the bride would change into a more suitable outfit for travel- like if they were leaving for the honeymoon right away.  I've never seen a couple leave for their honeymoon directly from the wedding.

May 2013 February Siggy: Invitations

Wedding Countdown Ticker

• I wore my wedding dress. It just made sense to me. (I also didn't change to leave the reception, but we spent the night four minutes away from the reception hall and not headed out on a trip, so that might change depending on your plans.)
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-are-you-wearing-to-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:fb506cb3-e837-487b-8113-385a4d1a3848Post:1e83d6f7-fcf9-4189-bd8d-81f8b07e24cf">Re:What are you wearing to the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I wore my wedding dress. I've personally never been to a wedding where the bride has worn anything different.
    Posted by libby2483[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Me neither.

</div>
    "It's always better when we're together." -Jack Johnson
  • I stayed in my gown. I loved it and paid a lot of money for it, so I wanted to wear it as long as possible and have it in all the pictures.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Vacation
  • My wedding dress.

• My dress is having a long, heavy train, and a heavily boned (steel boned) corset bodice.  It's also including a 5 or 6 hoop petticoat.  It will probably be hard to use the bathroom, to dance, and to even just walk/move much.  I know that's crazy.  But, it's what I wanted for the formal pictures and the ceremony.  However, I am waiting to wear it to see if I will pay for bustling (and keep it on all night) or if it's too cumbersome, and I would rather spend the same $ I would have spent on bustling, on a sassy cocktail dress instead. I am debating.  I also need to research how much the bustling would be for this exact design. I have seen general pricing for this is $150-$300 in an urban area for well-done bustling (which is what I would need since it will be heavy and regular basic bustling will probaby not last the night.)  If that is the bustling rate I am quoted by the local people after they see this dress, and if I do feel it is as awkward as I am imagining for the bathroom and dancing, I'm going to get a $150 cocktail dress instead, and change into it after dinner but before the dancing.
  • I am staying in my wedding dress.  It's my one chance to wear it, besides maybe a vow renewal someday.  The dress I'll have will be comfortable enough for me to deal with throughout the reception.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-are-you-wearing-to-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:fb506cb3-e837-487b-8113-385a4d1a3848Post:10309fe1-4264-4b12-b0b8-c21797cb0d9b">What are you wearing to the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I've heard of many brides just staying in their gowns during the reception, but I've also seen a lot of "reception dresses". Aslo, at my cousins wedding the bride just slipped into casual shorts and a teeshirt for travel. Just wondering what you plan to wear. And if you're planning to change, when will you do so?
    Posted by saro2109[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I paid alot of money for my wedding dress and loved it.  I couldn't imagine wearing it for a 20 minute ceremony and then changing.  I wore it all night long.

</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-are-you-wearing-to-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:fb506cb3-e837-487b-8113-385a4d1a3848Post:969b9b18-6f4a-45f5-b0a3-ef1bba64afd3">Re: What are you wearing to the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm staying in my gown during the reception. What do you plan to wear?
    Posted by yellowdaisies84[/QUOTE]

<div>I plan to stay in mine as well :)</div>
    "Anyone can wear a white gown, but only a bride can wear a veil". ~Randy Fenoli Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-are-you-wearing-to-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:5Discussion:fb506cb3-e837-487b-8113-385a4d1a3848Post:0d03eccd-7c46-420d-bff8-adef7ede5384">Re: What are you wearing to the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My FI is Indian and every Indian wedding I've been to with him the bride changes.  But those are super over the top weddings and very expensive.  I can't imagine spending all that money on a dress that you'd only wear for the ceremony.   You said she changed to travel.  Are you talking about a "going away" outfit?  Traditionally, there would be a send off and the bride would change into a more suitable outfit for travel- like if they were leaving for the honeymoon right away.  I've never seen a couple leave for their honeymoon directly from the wedding.
    Posted by melb2013[/QUOTE]

<div>I've seen some Indian weddings and they're very beautiful. I do mean that she was preparing for the honeymoon, as she was leaving straight from the reception. I found that a little odd, too, though...</div>
  • I changed into a sari for part of our reception, and then I changed into a shorter dress for Latin dancing at the end of the night.
  • I'm wearing my wedding dress all night. 

I actually love the idea of changing dresses, but it would be very important to me that the second dress be equal in beauty and value to my wedding dress. That wasn't doable for me so I am happy wearing one dress all night.

I've seen dresses where you can take off the bottom to make it into a shorter dress. I don't think they had any of those at the stores where I shopped (I forgot to ask though).
  • I absolutely love my wedding dress and wanted to wear it for as long as possible.  I wore it all day, through the ceremony and out to the bars that night.  Hell, I was even tempted to sleep in it and then wear it down to breakfast at the hotel the next morning, but didn't because I am sure people would have thought me crazy.

You only get to wear a wedding dress once (or so they say) so why in the world would you want to change?  A wedding dress is a lot of money, so wear it all day and all night and enjoy every moment in it.

• You could not have paid me to change out of my wedding dress for the reception.
    Proud to be an old married hag!! image
  • I am not changing.. and also for the price of the wedding dress, it wouldn't have been worth it to wear it only for pictures and ceremony. I love my dress and I also want to get my money's worth out of wearing it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_reception-ideas_what-are-you-wearing-to-the-reception?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:5Discussion:fb506cb3-e837-487b-8113-385a4d1a3848Post:d00fee3b-6c02-4872-aebb-9d013151515c">Re: What are you wearing to the reception?</a>:
    [QUOTE]My dress is having a long, heavy train, and a heavily boned (steel boned) corset bodice.  It's also including a 5 or 6 hoop petticoat.  It will probably be hard to use the bathroom, to dance, and to even just walk/move much.  I know that's crazy.  But, it's what I wanted for the formal pictures and the ceremony.  However, I am waiting to wear it to see if I will pay for bustling (and keep it on all night) or if it's too cumbersome, and I would rather spend the same $ I would have spent on bustling, on a sassy cocktail dress instead. I am debating.  I also need to research how much the bustling would be for this exact design. I have seen general pricing for this is $150-$300 in an urban area for well-done bustling (which is what I would need since it will be heavy and regular basic bustling will probaby not last the night.)  If that is the bustling rate I am quoted by the local people after they see this dress, and if I do feel it is as awkward as I am imagining for the bathroom and dancing, I'm going to get a $150 cocktail dress instead, and change into it after dinner but before the dancing.
    Posted by Ella and Pedro[/QUOTE]

My dress is near the same way. I am buying another wedding dress but one that is simple  A line with no train to change into later in the reception to be more comfortable for dancing but as silly as it sounds I am changing back into my wedding dress to leave the venue
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards