Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum

What's the difference?

I'm confused by all of the different pre-wedding events that take place: stag and doe, jack and jill, bridal shower, bachelor party, bachelorette party, rehearsal dinner... the list seems to go on and on! 

My question is threefold:
(1) what's the difference between all of them (are some of them the same thing with a different name?)?
(2) are you supposed to do them all? 
(3) What's the purpose of each of them? It seems like they're all cash and gift grabs. 

I feel strange asking someone to buy me both a wedding gift and a bridal shower gift. 

I should note two things: We're having a small wedding - about 60 people, and we own a house and don't really "need" anything. Isn't it weird to ask people for gifts when they know you don't need them?

Re: What's the difference?

• I disagree with CMGr in one respect - a rehearsal dinner is strictly necessary if there is a rehearsal.  You need to host the people who attend your rehearsal, and their SOs, in some way.  If you don't have a rehearsal you do not need to have a rehearsal dinner, however.

• I would also add that in some areas Jack and Jills are co-ed showers.  So that one may have a double meaning, depending where you are located.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_whats-the-difference?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:58d70054-3caa-43e6-b3f7-1e8e80792784Post:d5781a3f-ff86-4e12-b5a7-4fe5ffd275e5">Re: What's the difference?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I would also add that in some areas Jack and Jills are co-ed showers.  So that one may have a double meaning, depending where you are located.
    Posted by OliveOilsMom[/QUOTE]

<div>This.</div><div>
    </div><div>Also, Stag and Doe is another name for bachelor/bachelorette parties in some areas.  I've also heard a bachelorette party called a Stagette.  </div>
  • Even though you are having a small wedding, there is no reason not to register for things you like. My husband and I didn't need anything but it was nice to upgrade or update kitchen items & towels & add a few dishes. We also went for fun stuff, board games for nights in with friends, outdoor yard games, wine fridge, kitchenaid mixer and a few other items. Did we need any of it? No, they were wants & things we would buy if we had unlimited funds. It was really fun getting the gifts.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards