Massachusetts-Cape Cod

Guest Transport from Reception to Hotel?

Hey ladies - 

I'm getting married at OceanEdge this summer and one of my bridesmaids and I just had a conversation about transportation. One of the things that attracted my FH and I ro Ocean Edge was not having to worry about transportation. However, it was brought to my attention that this particular person is worried about driving from the reception to her hotel 5/7 minutes down the road (I have a block of room at the Seashore Park Inn, as it's more cost-friendly than OE). When I told her that I haden't thought of that, she was appauled that I didn't take her well-being into consideration (gag me).

Anways, here is my question - 
Do I provide transportation for my guests to wherever they are staying? I feel like that's too much responsibility on my part to worry about the night of the wedding. Is that selfish? 
I had had this conversation with my aunt who rented a house and when I asked her, she shot me down and told me that's not my concern. My family told me that usually a bride and groom will provide transportation to the hotel they are staying at, available to guests who are also staying there.

What do you guys think?

I was even thinking of putting a suggested list of taxi's in their welcome bags...

help!

Re: Guest Transport from Reception to Hotel?

• I'm sorry, but WHAT?  She wants you to get her back to her hotel?  That is just insane.  Is she worried about what she will do if she drinks too much?  That really is on her, not you.

We just went to a wedding in the fall where the couple blocked one hotel that was less expensive and also rooms at the resort where the reception was.  The ones at the resort were approx. $300 but FI and I decided we would rather spend the money than worry about a designated driver (ok, and I am high maintenance and the place was gorgeous!)  Did you also block rooms at Ocean Edge?  I might, just to give people that option.

And for God's sakes, it's Cape Cod!  It is not like you are asking them to drive through Detroit.
    June 2013 * March Siggy Challenge * Shoes
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • THANK YOU! She made me feel so awful about it! Yeah, we blocked off rooms at Ocean Edge. That option is there but this same woman complained to me about the cost of that too! I understand that it's going to cost a chunk of hange to stay on location but that's why we have options! It's one of those screwed if you do, screwed if you don't with this particular person.
  • Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited March 2013
    Is she a Cape Cod native?  Because, if not, she's probably just feeling like you're telling her: "Sorry you can't afford to stay at my super expensive wedding venue.  Guess you'll need to figure something out. Good luck." And to be fair, she isn't a guest, she is a member of the wedding party.  This does not dismiss the rudeness that may also have been on her side, but it sounds like a double-edged sword.

To the point about Detroit-there are at least lots of cabs there!  And for any non-Cape Cod natives who don't know this about the area, you need to be up front about the lack of cabs.  I do agree you aren't required to shuttle her, but you do need to be considerate of your guests in such a remote location.  We provided quite a list of options in the welcome basket material and website - both of which were available before guests left for the wedding weekend, so that they at least knew ahead of time and could make plans.  We also tried to help our guests get in touch with other guests staying at or near their hotel, so that many could carpool.  Maybe Ocean Edge has some ideas for you?  I know CBI was able to share info with me as to what past brides had done.

Anniversary
  • The thing is, this particular person has been telling me since last March (when we got the room block) that she was going to book an OE room. I intentially got room blocks close by, knowing that not everyone would not wait to stay the 2 night minimum and not spend an arm doing so. I spoke with OE and they told me they have never heard of the bride being responsible to get people from the reception to their other accommodations. Of course, I'm going to do as much research and find as much information as possible to make it easy on my guests. My coordinator also told me that OE's front desk is open 24hours/day and can help people out. They do recommend making arrangements early, though.

If there's any company or any information that anyone can provide me with, I'd appreciate it! I'm not one to turn my back on my guests at all. I want to do whatever I can for them. I just don't see many people utilizing a shuttle service, so I can't justify spending the money for hours of service for 10 people.....does that make sense? Or does that make me awful? :-/

You feedback is very helpful, thanks everyone!
  • Oh my goodness, I'm in the exact same boat as you! Except our 2nd hotel booked up, so now we have a 3rd hotel. I was thinking about looking up costs for a trolley to stop at 2 locations but I just think it's going to be more of a handful than it's worth.

Ive also seen school buses available for rent but I didn't look too far into it...

Honestly, though, at some point you can't take care of every single guest. You want your guests to be happy, but overall it's YOUR day and you can't stress about every last detail. A 5 minute drive isn't bad at all (mine is 15 and 20!).

Let me know what you end up doing! P.S. I believe we're the same weekend! :-)
  • You could call a transport place and see if they have any suggestions.  Most of the limo and bus rentals have an hour min and probably aren't worth the money.  And again, asked Ocean Edge.  CBI let you use their trolley as long as the destinations were within Chatham due to permit/license restrictions.  Maybe Ocean Edge has a van or something that you could use, since everyone is staying in one of those one/two other locations?  Otherwise, you could strawpoll the number of people staying in those rooms, and maybe just give OE the heads up of how many cabs might be needed end of night, and they could take it from there.
    Anniversary
  • Thanks again everyone for you help and advice!
    I have e-mailed a few services and heard back from one so far. They are available evernday until 2am, which is awesome! I told them the situation and they said they would be available for us. 
    I think I'm set on providing my guests with a list of *hopefully* three transportation services that they can use. I will suggest to call ahead of time if they know when they'll want to leave (at the conclusion on the reception - 10pm or after the bar in the mansion closes - 1am). 

I also like the idea of giving OE a headcount and having them call the cabs....good thinking @ lobsters25!! :)

@Lori - 3 hotels! Wow! I'm having these issues with just the one aside from OE! Are you in the Brewster/Chatham/Orleans area, too? 
  • Just one thing to consider - if you do go with the cab setup, ask for the approx $$ for the ride.  If you aren't going to cover it, it might be nice to gently include the cost info on a website or somewhere just as casual, so people aren't caught off guard.

We had people staying in literally like 8-10 places outside of Chatham, so I understand the craziness of it all!  Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Another great idea! Man, I'm happy I came here with this situation!

Maybe I could throw the cab company a couple hundred dollars and tell them to just hang out at OE, give rides, then come back....I'll let my fiance deal with that, haha! :)
  • I'm totally stealing the cab idea from Lobsters! :-)

@kls; we're in Falmouth at the Sea Crest!
  • I looked at Ocean Edge (omg so beautiful, seriosuly congratulations) and I thought they had a trolley/shuttle bus. Maybe you could inquire if they would be okay doing a run to your hotel block at OE and the nearby hotel your bridesmaid is staying at? btw you are very patient and gracious and this girl kind of needs to get it together lol

best of luck!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards