Wedding Hair, Makeup, & Beauty Forums

Help with day-of timeline!!

Hi guys, so I've been reading everyone else's timelines but it hasn't really helped with my own. My ceremony is at a strange time, 2:00. The reception is immediately following until 5:30. The maids and I are staying in a hotel the night before, and the groomsmen are staying at his best man's house. We have the bridal suite at our venue open to us at 1:00. Basically, we want to get all the pictures finished before 1 and then do a first look and try to get all family pictures done before the ceremony. I honestly don't know how long all that is going to take, and my photographer is very new to weddings, so I want to make sure we will have enough time. She is bringing along another person so they don't miss anything, and we also have someone else offering to take more artsy photos for us as well. I guess I just want to hear everyone's experience with timing the day of. My hair stylist is coming to us at the hotel, and we are all doing our own makeup. Here is a rough sketch I have right now:

8:00- hair stylist arrives
9:00- mom brings breakfast/coffee/mimosas
10:00- photographer arrives
12:00- start taking pictures with bridesmaids
1:00- arrive at venue
1:15- first look
2:00- ceremony
2:30- pictures
3:00- reception

Can anyone give me a copy of their timeline if they are having a 2:00 ceremony? 
Thanks!

Re: Help with day-of timeline!!

• How many people will be in your family photos?
    Also don't forget you may want a mini break between photos and the actual ceremony.
  • Just three sets of parents, grandparents, some aunts, and cousins in the wedding party I guess. I don't need formals of EVERYONE.
  • Our photographer said we would need 20 min for our family formal photos.
    I think there is a total of about 30 people taking pictures, and we have a lot of combinations we want.

Side Note: You may want to come up with a list of family combinations for your photographer, so they can get them all.

Example:
    B&G w/ Bride's Parents
    B&G w/ Groom's Parents
    B&G w/ Both sets of parents etc.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_help-with-day-of-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:d3e3ce55-1027-4ed7-bc61-bdee16baa3d1Post:cf7cbba3-2b56-437f-ba96-cbef38962eca">Help with day-of timeline!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi guys, so I've been reading everyone else's timelines but it hasn't really helped with my own. My ceremony is at a strange time, 2:00. The reception is immediately following until 5:30. The maids and I are staying in a hotel the night before, and the groomsmen are staying at his best man's house. We have the bridal suite at our venue open to us at 1:00. Basically, we want to get all the pictures finished before 1 and then do a first look and try to get all family pictures done before the ceremony. I honestly don't know how long all that is going to take, and my photographer is very new to weddings, so I want to make sure we will have enough time. She is bringing along another person so they don't miss anything, and we also have someone else offering to take more artsy photos for us as well. I guess I just want to hear everyone's experience with timing the day of. My hair stylist is coming to us at the hotel, and we are all doing our own makeup. Here is a rough sketch I have right now: 8:00- hair stylist arrives 9:00- mom brings breakfast/coffee/mimosas 10:00- photographer arrives 12:00- start taking pictures with bridesmaids 1:00- arrive at venue 1:15- first look 2:00- ceremony 2:30- pictures 3:00- reception Can anyone give me a copy of their timeline if they are having a 2:00 ceremony?  Thanks!
    Posted by jackiebrim[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I would have mom come with breakfast/coffee/mimosas at 8am when everyone else gets there.  If you have any caffeine addicts, it will be highly appreciated! </div><div>
    </div><div>Also, keep in mind your first look timing.  If it is at the venue where the ceremony is taking place, make sure you are in an area where you guests cannot see you.  We had guests arrive nearly at least 30 minutes early so we made sure they couldn't see us upon their arrival.</div><div>
    </div>
  • Thanks for the tips, ladies! I am a bit worried about the first look because we originally had the ceremony set for 1:00, which was on the invitations and everything. We don't want to pay to redo the invites, so we just added an amendment inside the envelope. Chances are, some people might forget and show up early! Also, my wedding is in July in Louisiana, so everything will be inside. I don't know if I want to risk ruining my hair/makeup right before the ceremony!
  • Formals of everyone is nice because it's not very often when whole families get together & everyone is dressed up. The formal shots of couples & families together will make for great gifts to them also. I agree mom should be there at 8 so those not getting their hair done right at 8 can eat. Depending on what mom is providing you may want to plan for something light to eat before going to the venue so that way you aren't starving when you get to reception because you won't be able to eat immediately after ceremony. I like suggestion of break between photos and ceremony because that gives everyone time to freshen up (powder, hair & lipstick check) before guests see them. We got our family pics done fairly quickly. Everyone involved just needs to know why it's important they show up early and have it coordinated (maybe even have a list) so you have everyone in order for the shots. But else i think your time frame looks good.
  • Thanks! I think we can actually have breakfast in the hotel, so that's why I was thinking we could get coffee when we wake up, and then my mom could come a few hours later so she doesn't have to sit around the hotel all day. Once she gets there, she's gonna want to stay! My family is usually prompt, so that won't be a worry for pictures. It's his family I need to worry about!
  • Start time doesn't matter, it's just the amount of time needed for each thing and adjust those times to the start time, be it 5:30 or 2 pm.  I would really talk to your photographer.  I had a timeline and she looked at it and threw out a bunch of thoughts and we really had to adjust hair and makeup times and when the florist was arriving, as I needed my bouquet for the getting ready photos, etc.  Also, you might want to keep seperate lists, one for you and bridesmaids, one for grooms and groomsmen, and one for vendors, etc.  You can superimpose them at the end, but for instance, it takes guys 10 min to get ready but the photographer might want to do them before or after your pictures, if you ar elast getting your hair done and the photographer has been there 2 hours but you are still in your skivvies, they can't do the getting ready until you have your makeup adn hair done and are ready to get dressed btu they coudl have done detail shots and the shots of the guys.  Talk to your photographer and not just "how long does this take" but in what order and in what location is everything so you can plan in travel times, even if it's just walking from one hotel room to the other. And add 5 min to everything so you aren't stressed!
  • We are planning our wedding in July also. I intend (with the girls) to get ready in the hotel morning of with my aunt doing our hairstyles so she knows how long it takes for each person and will come with extra time just in case. Our ceremony starts at 3:00, so an hour later than yours. Typically ceremony's if your doing simple (not a bunch of extra readings, songs, sand ceremony/candle ceremony etc), then its about 30 mins. We intend to be done around 3:30 -3:45, latest being 4. Dinner is set to begin at 5:30, and be the commencement of our reception. We will do photos from end of ceremony (3:30-3:45 ish - 5:30 = 1 hr 45 min +/-) We choose that amount of time based on an average of siblings photography lengths being over 1 hour, and knowing children will be involved (as was the case for the other weddings also).

By the time everyone eats and has been served, and plates removed I would guess that to be at least 2 hrs, assuming things start on time around 7:30 we will start lighter music, or just play it louder should everyone be done eating.

It will be fairly informal of an event, and we will accommodate changes as necessary throughout the day. This is very important to not cause stress, and to ensure we enjoy ourselves, as we will be celebrating our 5th anniversary by being married, and surrounded by our families and friends.
  • As far as getting ready goes, the best thing to do is take the time you have to READY--not ceremony time, etc.--and work back from there.  For example, if you are starting pics at noon, then noon is the time you have to be READY.

You need to allow 1.5-2 hours for yourself for hair/makeup and another 20 minutes to dress, put on your accessories, etc.  So if you have to be ready at noon, then I would plan to dress at 11:30, which means you need to start hair and makeup by 9:30 for yourself. 

We allowed 30 minutes for first look, an hour for wedding party pics, and then we took another 30 minutes of B&G pics after the ceremony. So 2 hours total and everything was in one place, no travel time was involved.  

Your wedding party consists of:  parents, grandparents, groomsmen and bridesmaids (and FG and RB if using).  These are the people actually in the wedding (i.e., the ones who will walk down the aisle).  If you want some extras with siblings not in the WP, etc., and you have time, you can take a few more but formals normally consist of the WP only.

Just make sure you factor in travel and allow yourself plenty of time to get ready as that is where the timeline usually goes awry. If you want to look in my bio, you can see how my day unfolded, what pics we took, etc. and maybe this will give you an idea.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_help-with-day-of-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:d3e3ce55-1027-4ed7-bc61-bdee16baa3d1Post:ab1fcb91-0892-44f6-8964-f6adf55408a8">Re: Help with day-of timeline!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]As far as getting ready goes, the best thing to do is take the time you have to READY--not ceremony time, etc.--and work back from there.  For example, if you are starting pics at noon, then noon is the time you have to be READY. You need to allow 1.5-2 hours for yourself for hair/makeup and another 20 minutes to dress, put on your accessories, etc.  So if you have to be ready at noon, then I would plan to dress at 11:30, which means you need to start hair and makeup by 9:30 for yourself.  We allowed 30 minutes for first look, an hour for wedding party pics, and then we took another 30 minutes of B&G pics after the ceremony. So 2 hours total and everything was in one place, no travel time was involved.   Your wedding party consists of:  parents, grandparents, groomsmen and bridesmaids (and FG and RB if using).  These are the people actually in the wedding (i.e., the ones who will walk down the aisle).  If you want some extras with siblings not in the WP, etc., and you have time, you can take a few more but formals normally consist of the WP only. Just make sure you factor in travel and allow yourself plenty of time to get ready as that is where the timeline usually goes awry. If you want to look in my bio, you can see how my day unfolded, what pics we took, etc. and maybe this will give you an idea.
    Posted by stephiehall[/QUOTE]

<div>Stephie, thank you SO much for taking the time to make a wedding website and then do a recap! Your wedding was beautiful, YOU were gorgeous, and I had fun looking at your pictures! Would you say 30 minutes was enough for your first look? Were the pictures under "bride and groom" from the first look or after the ceremony?</div>
  • fallbride1109fallbride1109 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Thank you for your sweet comments. :) Bride and groom was after the ceremony, "Reveal" was the first look. Although we allowed 30 minutes, ours was more like 15 because we were off schedule (hence what I said about the getting ready part). I had a very experienced photographer who kept everything moving but someone less experienced might not know how to stay on track. Be sure and discuss your timeline with your photographer so you are on the same page. But 30 minutes for the first look should be fine.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_wedding-beauty_help-with-day-of-timeline?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:358Discussion:d3e3ce55-1027-4ed7-bc61-bdee16baa3d1Post:ac90bdec-6ebe-49c1-8ba1-1b169b43df37">Re: Help with day-of timeline!!</a>:
    [QUOTE]We are planning our wedding in July also. I intend (with the girls) to get ready in the hotel morning of with my aunt doing our hairstyles so she knows how long it takes for each person and will come with extra time just in case. Our ceremony starts at 3:00, so an hour later than yours. Typically ceremony's if your doing simple (not a bunch of extra readings, songs, sand ceremony/candle ceremony etc), then its about 30 mins. We intend to be done around 3:30 -3:45, latest being 4. Dinner is set to begin at 5:30, and be the commencement of our reception. We will do photos from end of ceremony (3:30-3:45 ish - 5:30 = 1 hr 45 min +/-) We choose that amount of time based on an average of siblings photography lengths being over 1 hour, and knowing children will be involved (as was the case for the other weddings also).   By the time everyone eats and has been served, and plates removed I would guess that to be at least 2 hrs, assuming things start on time around 7:30 we will start lighter music, or just play it louder should everyone be done eating. It will be fairly informal of an event, and we will accommodate changes as necessary throughout the day. This is very important to not cause stress, and to ensure we enjoy ourselves, as we will be celebrating our 5th anniversary by being married, and surrounded by our families and friends.
    Posted by Samantha1717[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>Oh goodness! An hour and 45 minutes?! You will miss your entire reception!

</div>
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards