Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Reception: to dine or not to dine?

My FH and I are getting married in November and are planning an early afternoon wedding.  I have never been a fan of serving dinner at a reception and we are not planning a long reception (ie no dancing or alcohol).  Is it proper etiquette to serve hor d'oeuvres and have a cake reception?  Or will the wedding come off as tacky (esp since his guests will be from out of town)?

Re: Reception: to dine or not to dine?

• Options
    There is nothing wrong with what you're suggesting.  I think it's nice to provide a full meal if you can afford it especially if a large number of guests are traveling to the wedding, but it's not necessary.   Maybe you could beef up the offerings at your afternoon reception by also getting some sandwich trays and a keg of beer or something? 

Again, not necessary  but it might be nice to treat your out of town guests to a little more than just cake.
  • Options
    I think that more and more people are doing either a cake and punch reception or an appetizer, cake and beverage wedding and I think it is totally fine!  There is nothing wrong with serving a few appetizers and cake! (I think the definition of "proper" is becoming less used nowadays, because lets be honest, to have a proper, traditional wedding is just WAY too much money!!)
  • Options
    Etiquette wise, you're fine to do this, but with people coming from out of town, I think it's a little questionable.  I went to a wedding where I had to fly to get to.  It was at dinner time and they had passed horsdvers.  Luckily I knew this was going to happen so I ate before hand.  Had I not eaten, I would've been pissed.  But, the difference there was it was at a meal time where yours is not.  I still think it's nice to host a little something more with guests coming from out of town.  
  • Options
    Dinner isn't needed, but if I needed to get a hotel room to go to a wedding, I would want to know if it was a cake and punch reception. I would probably decline unless I was really close, but I would assume the couple wouldn't be surprised if I declined. But I wouldn't think ill of the couple or think my invitation was a gift grab.
  • Options
    I think it really depends on how many and who your out of town guests are.  If a good portion of your guest list is OOT then I think it would be more appropriate to serve a full meal.  This people have travelled and spent a great deal of money to get to your wedding.  Even though what you are suggesting is appropriate and certainly ok to do, it may come off as "cheap" to your guests who travelled solely to see you two get married.  KWIM?

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards