Wedding Etiquette Forum
Options

NER: Gift Ideas

One of my very close friends is getting married in June-I'm part of the wedding party, and am so looking forward to it.  FI and are are flying to Eastern Europe for the wedding, and will be spending a few weeks travelling afterwards.  They haven't registered, so I can't get gift ideas there, and they live in a small apartment, so I don't want to pick out something they don't need.  I also really dont want to give cash, for three reasons: a) it's obvious how much I spent, cuz well, it's cash, b) with a registry, I can usually find killer coupons and get some awesome things off the couple's registry, and c) I know she would think "wow this is way too much" or just feel "bad" because we spent so much to travel to the wedding.  And even though it goes against etiquette, she did specifically state no gifts since people are travelling so far to the wedding.

Obviously I want to get them something, but I want it to be thoughtful and not too expensive.  They're honeymooning after the wedding, and I was thinking I could have some fruits and wine delivered to their apartment scheduled for when they get back (like a Harry and David box of pears and a trio of wine).  I know when I get back from being out of town for a while, I want a fresh snack, and of course there's never any fruit in the house, and usually a glass of wine (after the long flight).  Do you ladies have any other ideas???  

ETA: Trying to plan this now (roughly) even though the wedding isn't until June since it will make budgeting easier, since I'm trying to save money for the rest of the trip.

Re: NER: Gift Ideas

• Options
    Personally I would give money, but if you're really against it, I think your idea sounds great for the fruit/wine basket.
  • Options
    I think the fruit basket idea, or some wines and chocolate or something is a really sweet idea. They won't be expecting it after the honeymoon, and it'll be a nice surprise.
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_ner-related-gift-ideas?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:f98f6715-be9d-4089-9cec-b67785270aebPost:7ba2bffb-999c-4e27-8ba5-fb19da1038f3">Re: NER: Gift Ideas</a>:
    [QUOTE]Personally I would give money, but if you're really against it, I think your idea sounds great for the fruit/wine basket.
    Posted by MrsGandthebeag[/QUOTE]

<div>Yeah, I just feel like we get in the tit for tat scenario, when I give  X amount and then she gives me the same amount when I get married (because I know this is exactly what would happen).</div>
  • Options
    Bulgaria!  I posted about my trip on the Honeymoon board last week...I'm still looking for other ideas for our Hungary/Slovenia/Austria road trip afterwards (FI is obsessed with Slovenia all of a sudden, so I think we'll be there for about 5 days).  If she's on the boards (I don't think she is though) she now knows who is posting lol.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards