Attire & Accessories Forum
Options

Help Me Choose Between 2 Wedding Dresses?

Hello everyone!

I'm having trouble choosing between two wedding dresses:

Mabel by Maggie Sottero

or Olive by David Tutera for Mon Cheri

My original idea for a wedding gown was something very elegant and extravagant with beaded lace and bustling and a full skirt. The reception is going to be in an elegant ballroom.

I think Mabel looks very much like a princess gown that fits my original idea very well. Olive is covered in intricate lace that you can appreciate when seeing it up close, but from slightly farther away it looks like a much simpler ball gown.

Although Mabel fits my original idea better, Olive actually accentuates my figure MUCH better than Mabel does. Olive's bodice is more structured and makes me look more hourglass shaped, whereas Mabel's bodice is flimsier, lets my "stomach pooch" show through, and makes me look flatter-chested. The sales assistant assured me that a seamstress can insert cups into Mabel to make it look more figure flattering, though.

My fiance has seen me try on both dresses, and he thinks that Olive's simplicity allows my own beauty to come through. He said that Mabel is the more beautiful dress on the hanger, but the bustling on the skirt may overshadow my slim figure. 

What to do? Go with the simpler dress that makes my figure look better, or the more elaborate dress that makes more of a statement and may be altered to be more figure-flattering? 

Thanks ladies!!

Re: Help Me Choose Between 2 Wedding Dresses?

• Options
    I vote for the one that looks better on you.  You can always spice it up with accessories. Plus, your fiance voted for it as well. ;)
  • Options
    I vote for Olive. I think it's more elegant than Mabel, and if it looks better on you, that should be the deciding factor!
  • Options
  • Options
    I vote for Olive too!  Your beauty should stand out more than your dress. 

P.S. You have such a sweet fiance! 
  • Options
    Thanks so much everyone! 
    I'm going back to the shop to try on Olive again and show my mom! :)
  • Options
    I vote for Olive.
  • Options
    Olive is a hundred times prettier than Mabel.
  • Options
    I vote olive!  It's beautiful.  Simple and elegant but has enough detail to really shine :)
  • Options
    Olive!  It's prettier!  Plus, your FI loves it and it already looks great on you!
  • Options
    i love the second one and if it looks better on you I dont think how it looks from afar should be too much in the deciding factor, you can tell it is beautiful in the small details and most of your geusts will see that and in real life phots I think it will show up as well.
    Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • Options
    Ladies, thank you so much for all your responses! 

I've eliminated Mabel from the running, but unfortunately stumbled upon one other gorgeous dress just a couple days ago!

I'm officially not trying on any more dresses, so it's between these two:

Eve of Milady 4271

or Olive by David Tutera for Mon Cheri

I know these dresses have very different feels to them, but I couldn't stop myself from trying on the Eve of Milady dress even though I know Olive looks gorgeous. 

Money isn't an issue, and both dresses compliment my figure amazingly...so I guess I just want to figure out which dress is more beautiful on its own. My bridesmaids and my parents think they are equally beautiful and they honestly can't pinpoint which one they'd like better. My fiance can't say which of the two he would choose either.

The Eve of Milady definitely fits my original idea of what I was looking for (princess-like, rich materials, couture, grand, sumptuous, intricate details), whereas Olive is wonderful  because it's classically romantic, delicate, extremely feminine, and a little bit more "in style" (everyone else at the bridal shops is trying on similar lace dresses right now). 

I was literally about to buy Olive, but the Eve of Milady dress caught my eye and I can't quite get it out of my mind that easily. 

What to do!?

• Options
    Well if Eve fits you just as well, then I would go with that one. If you would have loved Olive, you would not have tried on another dress. It seems to me that you find it too plain and are looking for another dress without even realizing it.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards