Wedding Customs & Traditions Forum
Options

jewish and irish catholic customs???

We are doing a non denominational ceremony with FI uncle as our officiant, but I want to incorporate both of our backgrounds. We have a chuppah, he'll be breaking the glass, and I'm going to have an irish blessing read. Neither of us is religious at all, does this sound enough or any suggestions on what else we might incorporate???

Re: jewish and irish catholic customs???

• Options
    In Response to Re:jewish and irish catholic customs???:[QUOTE]We are doing a non denominational ceremony with FI uncle as our officiant, but I want to incorporate both of our backgrounds. We have a chuppah, he'll be breaking the glass, and I'm going to have an irish blessing read. Neither of us is religious at all, does this sound enough or any suggestions on what else we might incorporate??? Posted by tudorrose01[/QUOTE]
    I think that's more than enough considering neither of you are religious lol.
    Don't get me wrong, though. I like cultural customs, if you embrace your cultures. But I'd stray away from strong religious customs if you aren't religious. I think the customs you have for the Jewish side is fine, but I can't speak for the Irish Catholic side. Does the blessing mention the Lord? Then I might stay away from it.
  • Options
    so sorry to upset, just trying to get feedback

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_jewish-and-irish-catholic-customs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:7fe62eee-3468-4139-af54-89ed5a996fdePost:ccc80ea6-bdb6-4c5b-8435-b7861020aa62">Re: jewish and irish catholic customs???</a>:
    [QUOTE]FYI, if you have the same post on multiple boards, it's proper to begin it with XP.
    Posted by TXKristan[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    If you aren't "into" Catholicism (practicing, kinda practicing, or what have you) I suggest staying away from those traditions because it wouln't be authentic. What you have seems perfect.

Don't worry so much about your heritages and worry more about you two as a couple. What do you like to do? Do you practice any rituals already? Focus on the life you two want to make together, not the households you were brought up in (although it is very nice to honor them).
     Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback! Definitely did not want to offend or not be authentic, just wanted to see if what I have thought of is good to show how we are blending our lives together.
  • Options

You can find some Irish blessings that don't seem heavily religious...more like well wishes...if that makes sense :)
  • Options
    Yes, good idea!

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_jewish-and-irish-catholic-customs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:7fe62eee-3468-4139-af54-89ed5a996fdePost:ef82edbf-92fc-47f3-b485-4c5b1a6d2020">Re: jewish and irish catholic customs???</a>:
    [QUOTE]You can find some Irish blessings that don't seem heavily religious...more like well wishes...if that makes sense :)
    Posted by jennyd412[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    get lifted on the chair!! I always get jealous of all the people who get to do that!! lol
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    haha, I like this one! though I'm sure I will be very nervous of being dropped lol

In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_customs-traditions_jewish-and-irish-catholic-customs?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:36Discussion:7fe62eee-3468-4139-af54-89ed5a996fdePost:f0beef14-d12e-4c8a-9e6e-4a60e2527857">Re: jewish and irish catholic customs???</a>:
    [QUOTE]get lifted on the chair!! I always get jealous of all the people who get to do that!! lol
    Posted by OwningAHome1981[/QUOTE]
  • Options
    We are not religious but borrowed customs from various cultures: he broke the glass, we did a unity candle to honor our families, a rose ceremony (not sure where that is from), the Apachee blessing and we toated with Navajo wedding vases. We celebrated weddings and the symbols and meaning of weddings.

Our favor included jordan almonds with also have a history with weddings in several cultures.
  • Options
    We are doing the glass breaking as well.  I'm confused.  Does the groom break the glass before or after the kiss???  I think incorporating traditions from everyones culture regardless of how you do it is very nice..
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards