Attire & Accessories Forum

Can't decide between BM dresses

We're getting married October 27, 2013. We're planning an outdoor ceremony, which I hope with all I have we get to do. The wedding and reception will be at a Country/Golf Club on a Sunday afternoon and we're going for a semi-formal vibe (cocktail or tea length dresses, tuxes for bridal party but suits for guests or at least dress pants and a button up shirt is the look we're trying to have, obviously we haven't given anyone a dress code). Originally I wanted short BM dresses but when we went shopping they said due to the weather long might be better, though they'd be fine with whatever I chose. We've narrowed it down to the following 3 dresses and I'm stumped. To be honest I'm truly stuck between #2 and #3, #1 I don't care for that much but it looks good on the girls and they liked it. Here are the dresses:

(they'd all be in the Plum color)

Dress #1: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Chiffon-Dress-with-Floral-Detail-and-One-Shoulder-F14010_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

This dress matches my dress really well, as they both have the rouching on the top. The one shoulder makes the girls feel less naked and like they'll fall out of the dress. What *I* don't like is how the rouching goes down the sides and forms that weird upside down V.

Dress #2: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Style-Satin-Wide-Strap-Tea-Length-Dress-F14556_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

I love this dress. Everything about it. The girls like that it has pockets and the clip for their bra built into the straps. We're just unsure of the weather and if it will be too cold for a shorter dress.

Dress #3: http://www.davidsbridal.com/Product_Satin-Empire-Ball-Gown-with-Illusion-Halter-81441_Bridal-Party-Bridesmaids-All-Bridesmaid-Dresses

Didn't try on in the store, but all girls like it. THey like the coverage on top, and like the length. The only thing that makes me hesitate is this is the same dress my MOH had her BMs wear at her wedding, about 8-10 years ago. She obviously loves the dress I just worry I'd be committed some fashion no-no by selecting it. Also, it's a popular dress and seen a lot.

I checked the averages for our wedding date. Average high is 63, average low is 41. Will a longer dress add that much in terms of warmth? Would love some opinions :-)

After 6 years and 2 boys, finally tying the knot on October 27th, 2013!

Re: Can't decide between BM dresses

• I like them all. With that shorter one, it looks like a dress they might actually be able to wear again, especially in the plum color, if that helps!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • The first one is my favorite, but only because I think tea length sucks. If I could hem the second dress to the knee instead, I'd pick that one. Tea length just makes everyone look short and dumpy unless they have model height and legs to their ears. I dislike #3 because empire waistlines don't work well on my figure and I don't think the neckline is very flattering to even the model's chest.
  • We canhave it hemmed to any length really, it would probably be right to the bottom of the knee. Would you be okay with a knee length dress at the end of October?

• I don't mean to change the subject here, but if you're concerned that your bridesmaids need a long dress to stay warm... what about your guests??
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_attire-accessories_cant-decide-between-bm-dresses?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:15Discussion:0d39baba-831d-4ddc-b35b-693d3a0cd9e2Post:46ddd45c-6563-43f5-8eda-f4d53e2cfb60">Re: Can't decide between BM dresses</a>:
    [QUOTE]We canhave it hemmed to any length really, it would probably be right to the bottom of the knee. Would you be okay with a knee length dress at the end of October?
    Posted by acove2006[/QUOTE]

<div>What's it like in Boston in October? Here in NC, I might be fine or I might need tights or hose. I'm thinking Boston's probably chillier. In which case, a long chiffon dress would not keep me any warmer, really, so I'd go for the short satin with a wrap and tights.</div><div>
    </div><div>I've worn a sundress with no wrap and with sandals in 50ish degree weather for a wedding before, and it was no fun at all. Please be accomodating of your bridesmaids' comfort. And your guests; if it's going to be cold rather than chilly, I'd move the wedding indoors or rent enough heaters and/or get a tent.</div>
  • If the weather is super cold, the ceremony will most def. be moved indoors. Without question. In Western MA it can either be jeans and tshirt weather in October or we can have a blizzard. Anything colder than 60's we will move the ceremony indoors. We can make the decision up to 10 minutes prior to ceremony start time fortunately.

CMGr: if it were up to me I'd have the guys wear suits. Which my FI is perfectly fine with as long as it's black. But I thought you could only rent tuxes? We don't have the money to purchase a nice suit nor do we have a reason to, it really won't ever be worn again. Really. If FI wants to sport a tux I fully support him. TBH, I really don't get all the formalwear rules with the exception of black tie. What's the big deal is how I think of it?

That said, I'm not that up to 'snuff on formal wear terms. When I say tux I'm thinking dress pants, a jacket, button up shirt, tie, and vest. Maybe a vest. Basically whatever Mens Wearhouse offers in black that he likes lol.

• CMG- what is your son-in-law wearing in your signature picture? that's the vision in my head, except maybe with a vest.

• I agree with CMGr about the colored vests. They always scream 'prom' to me. Our groomsmen just wore whatever dark suit they already owned, with a light blue shirt and dark blue tie (we provided the ties). We had a less formal wedding, at 11am. You could ask them (or rather your fiancé can ask them) to wear a dark suit with a white shirt and black tie. Or get them matching plum ties.

And your weather plans sound good. I think I would be fine in the shorter dress outside for the length of ceremony+pictures in 60-degree weather. I would probably wear pantyhose, which I did do for the last fall wedding I was in, even though that one was indoors.
  • mlg78mlg78 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    I love the 3rd dress.  If I were doing long dresses I'm certain I would have chosen that one at Davids Bridal.  I'm doing lapis...plum was my second choice!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards