Second Weddings
Options

First look before your wedding ceremony? What do you brides think?

So my wedding officiant suggested we see each other before the ceremony to get the first look at each other. I asked has any of the couples she married done this before... Her response was yes. Seeing each other before hand she said it will not have us as nervous at the ceremony and she will have our attention with everything. Not only that reason but our photographer can capture our first intimate moment seeing each other that first time. This is my second wedding and the first for my FI. I spoke with him and he loves the idea about seeing each other before the ceremony. My FI says.... " Let's be different who cares what anyone thinks about us wanting to see each other, this is our day to remember as husband and wife lets do it babe!" I know I got my answer right there but...I need a Brides opinion only we know how we want to feel seeing our future Mr. He is getting tired of me asking him all these questions lol. His opinion is.... " Whatever makes you happy babe I'm just waiting patiently for these 4 months to come and we will be married"

Re: First look before your wedding ceremony? What do you brides think?

• Options
    Why wouldn't you?
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_first-look-before-your-wedding-ceremony-what-do-you-brides-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:52f8ac10-4003-4613-8922-bf963aeaed0fPost:2322620b-21a4-4611-a2dc-9a84ad41fe80">Re: First look before your wedding ceremony? What do you brides think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why wouldn't you?
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]

Never said I wouldn't just wanted to see if anyone thought it was a good idea... I did a little research this morning and a lot of couples loved it! They said that first moment it's just you him and the photographer. I'm defin loving the idea of doing it now
  • Options
    We did a first look, and it was wonderful for us. We did it mostly for timing purposes, because our wedding was at a large historic park with fabulous gardens, and the chapel and banquet venue were on the same grounds. We wanted to get pictures out of the way before the ceremony, then we all could walk 300 yards to the banquet facility and start the party.

We didn't give it as much thought as you are, about the impact of seeing each other beforehand. But, in hindsight, it was a great moment for us, having the privacy of seeing each other first, sharing that, then having our families and wedding party with us for lovely posed pictures. They walked back to the chapel to wait, and we took pictures for about 30 minutes.

We were never sorry. I think the mental aspect of having the groom see the bride coming down the aisle is lovely as well, but to be honest, I think NOT seeing each other first would have made us more nervous in the chapel.

If your fiance says it's fine, then go ahead and do it. We weren't sorry.
  • Options
    We did a first look for pictures (and because we didn't have a traditional ceremony. There is no aisle on the beach!) and it was fabulous. My photographer had my DH standing in the path with his back turned and she got some great shots of me walking up behind him and then him turning to see me at his side. I do think it helped with nerves, too. I was nervous walking up to him, but then we got those emotions out of the way and were just able to walk hand in hand to our ceremony site.

• Options
    We are...much to my ultra-traiditional FI dismay (at first lol)

I cannot wait, it will be just us and our photographer (a dear friend of ours), such a special moment as a couple, I cannot wait! :)  The traditions surrounding not seeing each other before are not something I feel needs to be upheld, and he agreed once I explained it to him.

Christie + Chad ~June 8, 2013~
     CPT & mama to 9 kids, one SIL & a grandbaby girl!
  • Options
    We didn't do a first look.  My husband knew what my dress looked like and saw me with my hair done but not my make-up or gown...  It was a nice reaction when I walked to him. 

Some love the first look saying that it made the ceremony more relaxed. 
  • Options
    I thought long and hard about this and we have decided to have that first look ahead of time, a private moment to share and treasure and an opportunity for some pretty special pictures.  Because we are doing a lot of stuff non-traditional, it fits right in!  I'm very excited for our special moment! :-)  I say do it!
  • Options
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/special-topic-wedding-boards_second-weddings_first-look-before-your-wedding-ceremony-what-do-you-brides-think?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Special Topic Wedding BoardsForum:35Discussion:52f8ac10-4003-4613-8922-bf963aeaed0fPost:2322620b-21a4-4611-a2dc-9a84ad41fe80">Re: First look before your wedding ceremony? What do you brides think?</a>:
    [QUOTE]Why wouldn't you?
    Posted by Lisa50[/QUOTE]

That would have been better phrased: Why <em>wouldn't</em> <u>anyone</u>?  And that's more of a question to the universe than you, specifically.  Before my first wedding, we did not see each other; we stayed in different places the night before (were not living together).  Before my second wedding, we spent the night before the wedding in the honeymoon suite, so saw each other in various stages of preparation before the evening wedding.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards