Chit Chat

Help! I have a kitten question!

How can I keep my 8 week old kitten from climbing on the curtains? He just started doing this tonight and I want to put a stop to it ASAP. Also, he is very persistent in trying to get our food when we eat...any ways to get him to stop? I have food out for him all day. I put about 1/4 cup of food every morning. This seems to be enough for him. I had no idea how crazy kittens are!
Wedding Countdown Ticker

Re: Help! I have a kitten question!

• Sierra524Sierra524 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Anniversary First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Thank you all so much for the feedback!

To address the toys and attention, Thor has a corner of the living room filled with all of his fun stuff! He loves the stick with feathers and he loves climbing all over the computer chair. He has a scratcher and lots of empty boxes for him apparently cats love boxes?! to enjoy. He gets TONS of attention. I'm not working at the moment so I'm home all day with him. We are constantly playing with him and giving him lovin'. Im actually up with him right now, at 5am!

Thank you all for the tip about the food! My FMIL told me not to feed him a lot but apparently she was wrong, hence why I'm awake at 5am. Poor little baby was hungry!! I had no idea and now I feel like a bad mama. From here on out, Thor will be well fed. Promise!

And thank you all for the tip about the water, but I think I'm going to hold off on trying that. I don't want him to hate me or be scared! I think we made some success yesterday. When he would climb on the curtains, I took him off, firmly said no and removed him from the area. It seemed to work, for now! I will try the water thing as a last resort. I was also thinking of getting him declawed. Any opinions on this? My mom thinks we should but my FI says no. Since it is his cat also (even tho he is such a mamas boy!), I'm probably going to agree with him. But I am curious what you all think about it.

Again, thank you all so much for the feedback! I feel much better since I know I have all of you experienced cat parents to help me stay sane through this new journey with our little Thor! Sometimes I am like "WTF did I just get into?!"

Oh, I downloaded this app in my iPhone called "paw at it", its an app where a mouse runs around the screen. Thor LOVES it! Every time he paws it, the screen changes colors. He plays with it for awhile before tiring of it. I recommend it!

Sorry for any mistakes...posting from mobile & slightly delusional from being up so early.

Edited to clear up all the formatting mistakes from being on mobile.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • I concur with Soup. Declawing is just... it makes me so sad.

I do, however, recommend that you invest in a nail clipper now - and get him used to it. When he's not all riled up, sit down with him in your lap, pet him, make kitten noises he likes/talk softly to him and get him used to you pushing his toes apart. He probably doesn't need a trim yet, but he might in a few weeks. He most likely will not enjoy it, but it's better to get him used to you holding him and pretending to trim now than later. (I adopted a 9 month old, and she cries out bloody murder whenever I try to trim her claws... I always have to wrap her in a towel).

I'd also talk to your vet about microchipping him when he gets neutered. Microchipping isn't completely necessary, but had my "furst born" been chipped she would have gone home to her first family, rather than stayed with me. (She was found in a tree at about 5 months old & no one claimed her.)
  • Please don't declaw your kitten. Soup is spot on. There are other ways to keep your cat from clawing your curtains, couch, etc.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• Please don't declaw your kitten.  It's so sad and so wrong. 

Anniversary

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:7f520424-1c59-41fa-b5c0-cfd507a576cb">Re:Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I have to step in and say that I can never ever get behind terrorizing an animal and fear tactics as a training tool. If someone was on here telling someone with a new puppy to scare the living daylights out of it every time it did something wrong, the majority of these boards would be up in arms. Wanna know why your cat is more aloof than your dog? Why he or she hisses and scratches at strangers the minute she's uncomfortable? It's the crap listed in this thread right here. When the cat thinks it's living in the same space with danger, it WILL affect his or her personality in one way or another. We use the water bottle method on occasion, but only for truly dangerous habits like chewing on cords or trying to dart out the door when someone comes in. We have never ever used fear or intimidation or fear on any of our cats in my entire 25 years of cat owning and we've always had cats that are so predictable and well behaved we can immediately tell when there is a problem by any changes.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>All of this.</div><div>
    </div><div>We went to a vet once with Jackson and we asked how to nip the puppy-teething-biting in the bud. He suggested squeezing Jackson's snout closed. He said "He'll whine a little bit but do it a few times and he won't bite you again."</div><div>
    </div><div>No. Just no.</div><div>
    </div><div>We had a spray bottle for him and that worked well until one day FI left it unattended and within Jackson's grasp. He destroyed it, like he had to get revenge on the thing. It was hilarious. He was PISSED.

</div>
  • Here's the thing people don't realize about declaws... laser means nothing. That's just the form of cutting they use.

Take a look at your hand, now look at where the first break in your finger is that bends, imagine getting that chopped off. They don't "just" remove the nail, they have to remove the entire nail bed and where the nail originates from.

It is VERY painful for a cat, and most are traumatized by this. Please don't do this.

You can easily trim their nails yourself since you can see the quick. Or you can get caps that go over their nails.

The spray above PP is talking about it Bitter Apple, that really only works for chewing.
    The best way to reprimand a cat is the same way his mother would and that is by grabbing his scruff, face him towards you and say "no" firmly.

When you see him climbing on the curtains, scruff him, say no and give him another toy to distract him.

Food- 8 weeks is fine to have all solid food, they've been long weened off momma by then. Just make sure you get a kitten brand. I personally like Science Diet and think it's one of the best brands out there (stay away from meow mix and friskies etc.). The bag should tell you how much he needs in a day.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:69d4fe9b-47fd-4dee-a8ae-acb14ac5a613">Re:Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE] As far as toys, make sure you have a good mix of toys you play with her with and toys for her to play with on her own. <strong>The crinkle balls are a huge hit with every car I have owned</strong>, and you can buy a pack of 6 or 8 for a few bucks.
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

I also have a declawed cat, but he came to me that way as a rescue.  The rest of our cats (4 others) are not declawed, but we trim their nails regularly. . . they do not like to use the scratching posts and boards we buy.  But any cardboard box that is brought into the house is toast!

My cats love the crinkle balls!  It's hilarious to watch them bat them around the hard wood floors and go sprawling after them.  They also love any toy with feathers and the fake mice.  I also play with them with a laser pointer- I don't get it in their eyes, no worries!

Question for the cat ladies in the thread, how many do you own and what breeds?  We have a Persian, two Tabbies, and two Blue Russians.

"Love is the one thing we're capable of perceiving that transcends time and space."

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:d2599895-4814-497a-9ee3-3bc4c9648b61">Re:Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Question for the cat ladies in the thread, how many do you own and what breeds?  We have a Persian, two Tabbies, and two Blue Russians.
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

<div>2 domestic short hairs we rescued in my house. One calico, one orange and white.</div><div>
    </div><div> Luckily we got them as adults, so we never had to worry about kitten craziness. But like Stage, we've never used a spray bottle or any loud noise, except for clapping my hands together to get their attention. A firm no and redirection works well. And honestly, they only misbehave when <strong>I</strong> have done something wrong- not replaced a worn out scratching post, not emptied the litter soon enough, etc.</div>
  • I'm late, but for the declawing thing - When I worked at the vets I /had to/ participate in one declawing. You know why they keep your cat for a day or two afterwards? So they stop bleeding out of their feet. Most cats literally lay on their sides for 2-3 days afterwards because they can't stand on their severed knuckles. All I could smell every time we did a declaw was the burning flesh from cauterizing the wounds - and cauterizing them really did nothing to stop the bleeding. We had cats come back several times after that that were meaner than sin because they were STILL in pain. Then people think they own mean cats because they are still hurting and act out. Then people toss their cats out the door, declawed, because they can't 'deal' with them any more. Cauterizing a nerve does nothing to heal it. It will always be an exposed nerve that hurts them.

Hope I dissuaded you. I would never wish declawing on a cat, and I would never wish for someone to have to stand in the OR like I did to witness one.

Other than that, congrats on Thor! Stage has excellent kitty advice. :)
    my blog - for the love of ein
    'Next time, just fart.' - BriSox81
  • harper0813harper0813 member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:7f520424-1c59-41fa-b5c0-cfd507a576cb">Re:Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]Okay, I have to step in and say that I can never ever get behind terrorizing an animal and fear tactics as a training tool. If someone was on here telling someone with a new puppy to scare the living daylights out of it every time it did something wrong, the majority of these boards would be up in arms.

<div>Actually, I have found that mild scare tactics (although I wouldn't call them scare tactics) have been really effective in training my dog. We trained her not to bite (and she learned this very quickly, thank goodness) by yelling "OW" loudly whenever she tried, even if it wasn't hard. We do the same if she started to go to the bathroom inside in our presence. </div><div>
    </div><div>The loud noise tactic is what mama dogs use when they're unhappy with their pup's behavior. If their pup bites them, they yelp angrily.</div><div>
    </div><div>It also helped establish me as a pack leader to my dog.</div><div>
    </div><div>I am with you, though, that you don't want to make your animal scared of certain objects. Slapping a table can be effective for the noise, but it can make a cat unnecessarily afraid of tables. Yelling "OW" or clapping loudly may be a better option.</div><div>
    </div><div>I do think that the squirt gun is a great idea, too. It doesn't harm the animal, but it surprises them.</div><div>
    </div><div>ETA: Just voicing my opinion and my own experience with animal training. We may disagree. :)</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:d9472ff1-cbbc-4225-895c-d3843ccc0000">Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]How can I keep my 8 week old kitten from climbing on the curtains? He just started doing this tonight and I want to put a stop to it ASAP. Also, he is very persistent in trying to get our food when we eat...any ways to get him to stop? I have food out for him all day. I put about 1/4 cup of food every morning. This seems to be enough for him. I had no idea how crazy kittens are!
    Posted by Sierra524[/QUOTE]

<div>And just wait until the awesome night frenzies. While I hate them, I love them too. It sounds like someone is ripping your carpet out at 2 AM because they're frenzying all over the place. If you can catch them in the act, it's hilarious. You flip on the light and can't even see any color in their eyes because their pupils have swallowed them, all four legs spread out and claws firmly in the carpet, tail about a foot around.. It's a thing to behold.</div><div>
    </div><div>Other kitty moms understand.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:b22ff32e-2c5d-442d-a4d0-6a28efd20a75">Re: Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]I'm late, but for the declawing thing - When I worked at the vets I /had to/ participate in one declawing. You know why they keep your cat for a day or two afterwards? So they stop bleeding out of their feet. Most cats literally lay on their sides for 2-3 days afterwards because they can't stand on their severed knuckles. All I could smell every time we did a declaw was the burning flesh from cauterizing the wounds - and cauterizing them really did nothing to stop the bleeding. We had cats come back several times after that that were meaner than sin because they were STILL in pain. Then people think they own mean cats because they are still hurting and act out. Then people toss their cats out the door, declawed, because they can't 'deal' with them any more. Cauterizing a nerve does nothing to heal it. It will always be an exposed nerve that hurts them. Hope I dissuaded you. I would never wish declawing on a cat, and I would never wish for someone to have to stand in the OR like I did to witness one. Other than that, congrats on Thor! Stage has excellent kitty advice. :)
    Posted by kmbryant2413[/QUOTE]

I'm so sorry you had to be a part of this! I was lucky enough that the doctors I worked directly with refused to do declaws so I never had to witness or participate in one. Dewclaw and tail removals however, I have. That I don't feel as strongly about since the pups are only a day or two old.
    Anniversary
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:077915ad-8f13-40ae-9815-a9f08e9e4c3d">Re: Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Help! I have a kitten question! : And just wait until the awesome night frenzies. While I hate them, I love them too. It sounds like someone is ripping your carpet out at 2 AM because they're frenzying all over the place. If you can catch them in the act, it's hilarious. You flip on the light and can't even see any color in their eyes because their pupils have swallowed them, all four legs spread out and claws firmly in the carpet, tail about a foot around.. It's a thing to behold. Other kitty moms understand.

My cats were having a festivus like this two nights ago. . . they sounded like a herd of elephants running up and down the steps!

• kmbryant2413kmbryant2413 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:f7a347ef-5074-4599-aaee-0ed250b41663">Re: Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help! I have a kitten question! : My cats were having a festivus like this two nights ago. . . they sounded like a herd of elephants running up and down the steps!
    Posted by cmsciulli[/QUOTE]

<div>
    </div><div>I am fully convinced that during night frenzies they put on 10-20 pounds each.</div><div>
    </div><div>
    </div><div>In their feet.</div>
  • On the declawing issue... Another thing you might try is they make these little plastic caps that fit over the claws. You can get the diy kit at most pet stores, or most vets can do it. As PP have stated, declawing is horrible for them.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:744e9f3f-8991-4cdb-b5dd-028ffe610ce2">Re: Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]As for the cats we have, our two forever furbabies are a blue tabby/mau mix and a Siamese/tabby mix.  The mau mix is 7 now and and the Siamese mix will be 18 on Friday.  We've had both since they were kittens.   We also fostered 2 blue bicolor shorthair kittens over the winter who were adorable.  I miss them terribly, but am glad they found a good home.

Aw, they sound pretty.  I love the coloration of Siamese cats.

How on Earth did you give up the shorthair kittens?!  They are so adorable, I could not have done it. 

Much Kudos for being a foster furmom.  That is something I'd like to consider doing once FI and I have our own home, but I think  it might be difficult at first to give the little critters up.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_chit-chat_help-i-have-a-kitten-question?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:14Discussion:59f6f842-5ea4-4799-8ea3-aa6af14f0f48Post:5236020a-4429-4e61-b2e8-8fe3d3302685">Re: Help! I have a kitten question!</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Help! I have a kitten question! : I am fully convinced that during night frenzies they put on 10-20 pounds each. In their feet.

Yes, I believe that is about right.  Besides mind control, all cats have the ability to change their weight at will.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards