Gay Weddings

8 Bridesmaids and we're making them all wear dresses, like it or not!

Hi, So my girl and I are getting married in October and we are each having 4 bridesmaids...all of which we are making wear dresses.  As if this wasn't hard enough on it's own now we're trying to pick out these dresses and trying to make all 8 girls somewhat happy.  Don't get me wrong, we know this is our day and they will wear whatever we choose, but we don't want to make them all miserable either.  
What is the time frame for picking out the dresses???  We're going to look at some this weekend and some girls are telling us that it's too soon.  I don't think it's too soon at all, in fact I'm hoping we make a final decision this weekend so that in a couple of months the girls can have their final fitting, get all alterations and be done with it.  Just another thing crossed off the list.  PLUS we're both wearing wedding gowns and my girl plans to add color to her dress...the color that the bridesmaids will be wearing so we kind of need to know what color that will be..for sure...so we can get that started.
What do you think??

Re: 8 Bridesmaids and we're making them all wear dresses, like it or not!

• edited December 2011
    Most bridesmaids dresses will take about 2 months to come in. I was in a friends wedding in May and she made us order them around Thanksgiving. It did take a few months to arrive but I had the dress hanging in my closet for awhile before getting it altered. If its something that is important to you to get off the list, then I think its never too early to start this process. Plus, trying to find a dress that will look good on 8 different women might be a challenge because everyone will have an opinion.
    GL!

My new bff Gayle Forman!

?You can have your wishes, your plans, but at the end of the day, it's out of your control" - Gayle Forman
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Married Bio

Lizzie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)?????? image

• edited December 2011
    We stared looking for desses in october then we found one that we liked in november of 2009. Then we found another one that was the for my girls. They all fell in love with it so it is not to early to start looking till you find the right one. good luck
  • edited December 2011
    Also as a suggestion on trying to get everyone one that they like, a lot of companies and stores do the dresses where you just get the same bottom, and the tops will change. I think that its generic enough that all the girls will feel they can add their own personal style, but still stay in the color range!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • edited December 2011
    Our maids have all different body types.  We went with a long satin skirt and a choose your own top so they could get one they liked.  There are also accessories for these dresses so they can personalize.  Only one of my maids is a bit put off by having to wear a dress, but she is happy to have the choice.
    Photobucket
  • duhbecksterduhbeckster member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Haha, we sort of have the opposite problem. We'll each have a maid of honor and a bridesmaid, so 4 women total. But we're planning to wait a couple months to pick out their dresses, and my sisters (and my mom, on behalf of my sisters!) seem to think that this is something that must be decided right this minute. We also have four women with very different body types, but we're still trying to find one dress that makes everyone happy. We have our colors picked (red on my side, purple on hers), but the dress is still a toss-up. Good luck!
    MSP Challenge: Favorite Registry Item
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • sari5765sari5765 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    You could also just pick a color and have everyone get their own style- David's Bridal works well for that and it's probably what we're going to do.
    check out our wedding blog at http://kellyandsari.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards