Catholic Weddings
Options

GTKY

Since we have some new faces, I thought we should do some GTKY questions! Lurkers, please join -- we'd love to meet you!

1. What are/were your wedding colors/theme/inspiration?

2. It's your birthday and you can guiltlessly have any dinner and  dessert you'd like. What are we eating?

3. Coffee/Tea/Other?

4. What is the best thing about summer?

5. What is one quirk or fun fact about yourself that you'd like to (be willing to?) share?

Edited: punctuation
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: GTKY

• Options
    edited April 2013
    1. Our colors were grey and light pink. I was going for soft and romantic since it was 1000 degrees outside.

2. French onion soup, steak frites (steak and French fries), and homemade apple pie for dessert.

3. Coffee, of course. I'll take it any way you make it.

4. The 4th of July. I love it. I'm a big holiday person. It also marks the end of the tolerably hot season and the beginning of the miserably hot season 'round here.

5. My toenails need to be polished more or less always, but especially during slip-on shoe season (read: most of the year). I don't get judgey about other people's nails, but I'm really, really self-conscious about my own.
  • Options

Colors: Burgundry/merlot and deep rich yellow.  Originally wanted the men in grey, but my brother made USN Chief and I'm so proud of him that I want him to wear his dress blue uniform (black suit basically) so we're back to black!

Theme: Kind of rustic, our venue is a lodge, lots of wood, vaulted ceiling, tons of windows.  Tables will have burlap and lace runners, centerpieces are wood slices with candleholders that look like branches and hold 5 votives.

2. It's your birthday and you can guiltlessly have any dinner and  dessert you'd like. What are we eating? My dad makes a pork dish that is cooked with bourbon, maple syrup and walnuts, then mashed sweet potatoes and wilted spinach with onion and bacon, mmm.  Dessert- some sort of chocolate raspberry cake and vanilla ice cream the real stuff, not the artificially flavored...

3. Coffee/Tea/Other? Both. Always.

4. What is the best thing about summer? Warm weather and sunshine!

5. What is one quirk or fun fact about yourself that you'd like to (be willing to?) share?  After I purchased my townhouse, the bank called and asked me to make a commercial for them.  I'm in a community choir and it was funny to have all of these random people come up and say, "Hey, I saw you on TV last night."  My 15- minutes were short-lived, but enjoyable.

• Options
    Burgundy and sage green - H actually suggested the color combo, and it was great for our fall wedding.  We didn't intend on it initally, but between the historic reception building and style of suits/BM dresses we chose, it ended up having a littlle of a Mad Men/vintage vibe.

2. It's your birthday and you can guiltlessly have any dinner and dessert you'd like. What are we eating?
    So hard to choose, but, probably a giant bowl of pasta in some kind of spicy, creamy sauce.  Tiramisu for dessert... and wine, of course :)

3. Coffee/Tea/Other?
    Coffee, hands down. 

My office has summer hours where we get to leave early most Fridays, which makes it a lot easier to go visit our familes, who each live 3-4 hours away, for a weekend. It's also great getting to spend time outside or on the lake.

5. What is one quirk or fun fact about yourself that you'd like to (be willing to?) share?
    I have a really hard time falling asleep unless I take some time to read (or very occasionally watch TV) in bed first. I guess I just need that time to unwind my brain - plus I love reading, always have.
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Also gray and pink. Light gray dresses, magenta flowers.

2. It's your birthday and you can guiltlessly have any dinner and dessert you'd like. What are we eating?
    Bleu cheese crusted steak, garlic mashed potatoes, hazelnut gelato & chocolate cheesecake for dessert

3. Coffee/Tea/Other?

I used to drink about 8 cups of coffee a day, but I'm newly preggo, so decaf green tea it is. Fantastic!

Golfing, flip flops, and sitting out on the patio after work

I think my hair looks funny if it's up (and I get cold!) so I wear it down and long every day. The blowdryer and round brush are my friends.
  • Options

1.  Dark purple and burgundy
    2.  Cheese pizza!!!  I will eat a whole pizza by myself :)
    3.  I like to drink soda (diet coke or diet Dr. Pepper) in the mornings, but I've been trying to cut back.  Most days lately I've been having Crystal Light.
    4.  Weather, beach, pool, sandals, my bday, my anniversary....love it
    5.  I don't really like pie...I like the filling, but I don't like the crust.

• Options
    ItzMS!! Is this new information here??? Congrats! When are you due??

1. We were maroon and gold (U of MN colors, coincidentally) because it was fall-ish (Wedding October 1st) and because it matched the chairs at our reception hall. Clever.

2. I. LOVE. FOOD!! I cannot choose one meal. But I think ice cream is top of my list for desserts. Any kind. Or brownies. Or anything chocolate - if it is not chocolate, it isn't really dessert.  I really love Indian food, too, but we go out once a week for Indian. A special food treat would probably be steak. RIght now I really have a hankering for Buffalo Wild WIngs, but I think that is the pregnancy talking.

3. Hmm... my SN implies tea, but I've really been more of a coffee drinker the past year. I do still love my tea, though.

4. Grilling (okay, food is a theme here). Oh, and ice cream. And gardening! I am terrible at it, but love trying to grow things, especially vegetables. I can't wait to get out in the garden this spring!

5. I'm so boring. Um... I cannot buy Chocolate Riesen candy anymore because I will eat the ENTIRE bag at once. It is a serious addiction.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

• Options
    Dangit, Tea...now I really want BWW...

• Options
    ItzMS -- Congrats x100000!!! And *hugs* and *prayers*.
  • Options
    Me too, I love BWW!!  Doesn't help that it's a special tonight for boneless wings... definitely going to take some willpower not to get takeout for dinner :)
  • Options
    itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    Thanks, everyone. We will be due in early December, so I'm at the very early stages of course.
    Amazing what happens when the timing is right Smile
  • Options
    1. What are/were your wedding colors/theme/inspiration? Colors were purple and silver. The guys had grey suits which my husband picked. The colors were also the colors of the university where we met. 2. It's your birthday and you can guiltlessly have any dinner andnbsp; dessert you'd like. What are we eating? Probably chips and salsa and steak fajitas with all the fixings. With a cookie dough cheesecake cupcake for dessert my roommate actually made these for me once they were amazing! 3. Coffee/Tea/Other? Uh other being coke zero. I only drink coffee when it is more chocolate and sugar than coffee and I am not a big tea person. 4. What is the best thing about summer? Warm weather and being spending time with friends outside. 5. What is one quirk or fun fact about yourself that you'd like to be willing to? share? I am terrified of flying stinging insects. I am loving all the flowers blooming but I freak out anytime a bee gets too close to me.
  • Options
    1) sage green and navy, springtime-y, hydrangeas, etc.

2) Tea, I have the same issue and I'm not pregnant, lol. So I pick tapas and get a little of everything. Wine. And...homemade frosted sugar cookies for dessert.

3) coffee, but I'm picky about it. Most people make it too weak, and then I *must* have real half & half and real sugar (I don't like to use artificial stuff for the taste but esp not when pg or nursing) BUT only a small amount of each...too much ruins it. This is why I usually make it at home.

4) Beach, and staying light out later, and most of all DH not being in school wahooooo!!!

5) I used to do Irish dancing :P

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Green, yellow, and white.  We worked our mutual love of science, words, and board games in as well.  Table numbers were periodic table elements, our coordinator found someone to make paper flowers out of periodic tables, dictionary pages, and maps, cute stuff like that.  H's cake was a stack of board games that we love and my cake had double helix and hexose sugars piped on each tier (although to H's dismay the baker left out a double bond on each sugar).  We each surprised the other with the cakes, so neither of us saw "our" cake until the day of.  =)

2. It's your birthday and you can guiltlessly have any dinner and  dessert you'd like. What are we eating?

There's this place in downtown Plano, TX, called Jorg's Cafe Vienna, which serves the best food I've ever eaten.  If my stomach was bottomless I would gorge myself on their Mutti's Jager Schnitzel (chicken schnitzel with a mushroom cream sauce), spaetzle, and bread pudding.

3. Coffee/Tea/Other?

Coffee every morning.  Sometimes I wish I hadn't picked up the habit, because I find myself making coffee even if I don't really want it.  I am also a Dr Pepper fiend.  As kids, my husband and one of our good friends lovingly referred to it as "Vitamin D."

(Can't say this much longer, but...) sleeping in!  And then relaxing and getting a ton accomplished around my house.  Of course, THIS summer will bring a whole new joy to look forward to.  =)

Also, there is a wonderful summer camp that my husband and I love to work with, which brings me to...

I met my husband at "nerd camp" when I was 13.  We took college courses over the summer for credit for 5 years.  We started out not the biggest fans of each other, but over time, (clearly) our friendship grew.  He was even my first kiss.  To this day some of our very best friends are people we met during camp.  We are spread out across the country, but when we are together, it is like all those cheesy "You know you have a true friend, when..." posters.  We pick up like we've never been apart.  DH and I still just look at each other in disbelief that our paths even crossed, not even to mention that we could ever end up where we are now.
    Anniversary

• Options
    No theme or inspiration.  Since we don't have a venue yet I don't want to set colors for sure.  I would love for the colors to be cream, blush, and a pop of bright yellow ( yellow is FI's favorite color and I love pink)

SInce I'm a vegetarian and lactose intolerant that's kind of hard.  I would love to induldge in macaroni and cheese but there would be consequences.  I guess a pasta dish with lots of veggies then a big piece of chocolate cake.  Red wine too.

3. Coffee/Tea/Other?
    Decaf tea

The warmer weather, and BBQ's at friends'  houses

I've been performing my whole life the first time I was on stage I was 3.  I've performed in over 45 plays and musicals and I have a show that opens in June too. 

Anniversary

• Options
    Darker pink and green... but mostly pink because I felt guilty making my bridesmaids wear green :)  It was early spring in MN at the time... so I guess that counts as the theme/inspiration?

Chinese food for dinner (Mu shoo pork and stir fried veggies) and Dark chocolate/key lime cheesecake for dessert!

3. Coffee/Tea/Other? 
    Usually tea!  I do enjoy coffee with those ridiculously unhealthy flavored creamers, though.

More sunlight in the evenings and not needing to scrape frost/snow/ice off the car every morning. 

I can't think of anything at the moment... I feel rather boring right now!
  • Options
    newlyseliskinewlyseliski member
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/cultural-wedding-boards_catholic-weddings_gtky?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Cultural%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:615Discussion:5a0c0787-c50f-4088-81e4-69c1b25d1170Post:5ee7373a-e4f2-49fa-914d-6f90bcf89076">Re: GTKY</a>:
    [QUOTE]Dangit, Tea...now I really want BWW...
    Posted by Resa77[/QUOTE]<div>
    Ditto... I could really go for a breakfast of honey bbq wings about now??</div><div>
    </div><div>@itzMS... Congratulations :-D</div>
  • Options
    1. What are/were your wedding colors/theme/inspiration? Our colors are purple and aqua. They represent both of our favorite colors but also our birthstones. Our theme is really "us". Anything happening with the wedding has something to do with our personalities, from custom painted shoes to references of our favorite things! 2. It's your birthday and you can guiltlessly have any dinner and dessert you'd like. What are we eating? Homemade taco salads and ice cream! 3. Coffee/Tea/Other? Tea! 4. What is the best thing about summer? Many things! Summer school is by far the best teaching experience ever. Time home with my family is great too. I love going to the zoo weather and baseball weather. But the best thing this year will be our wedding! 5. What is one quirk or fun fact about yourself that you'd like to (be willing to?) share? Hmm. I love to knit and I collect snoopy stuff. My fiancé loves sports and collects Disney stuff!
  • Options
    1. What are/were your wedding colors/theme/inspiration?  We went with my 2 favorite colors: purple & teal with silver accents

A heaping plate of homemade pasta & sauce, complete with salad and garlic breadsticks. For dessert, it would have to be frozen yogurt or butter pecan ice cream.

3. Coffee/Tea/Other?
      I used to drink coffee before getting pregnant, but I have found I can only have a few sips or otherwise it upsets my tummy. Baby must not like it. I do like the herbal teas when I don't want caffeine or my throat gets scratchy from allergies, etc.

Being outdoors, wearing cute summer clothes & flip-flops, laying out at the pool relaxing with a good book

A quirk about me is that I am a super perfectionist, although I have learned to let things go with the pregnancy so I don't get overly stressed out.
  • Options
    Our colors were black and white

Sushi for dinner and tiramisu for dessert!

3. Coffee/Tea/Other? 
    All of the above.  But always coffee first!

BBQ's with family and friends.  Especially potluck BBQ's.

I absolutely love my MIL.  I feel like that is a UO in my social circle...no one likes their MIL.  But mine is awesome, and if I end up like her in life then I have done well!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards