Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions
Options

I will walk alone?

My parents had a nasty divorce about 10 years ago.  I told my Dad, who I have a strained relationship with, that I would like both of my parents to walk me down the aisle.  He is very traditional/paternalistic/a chauvenist as well.  He told me he thinks this is awkward and hung up on me.

Fast forward a few weeks.  I very calmly and lovingly explained that this gesture meant more to me than just both of my parents being "recognized" as raising their daughter, but also reflected on how far our family has come since the divorce 10 years ago.  I explained how unifying and loving I thought it would be and that it's really what I want.

This did not go over well.  Dad refuses to walk me down the aisle with my mother. I am "selfish" for asking, he is contributing to the cost of the wedding, "what will people think?!" etc etc

He told me to have my mother walk me down the aisle or to walk alone.  I am considering walking alone, but am very disappointed to not have them both walk by my side.

Solutions? General thoughts? 

- Sadbride

Re: I will walk alone?

• Options
    Why not just have your mother walk you?  If he wants to be a massive jerk, that's on him.  Don't punish her for it.
    Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• Options
    I'm sorry for your disappointment, but I would not ask divorced parents who are not on relatively good terms with each other to walk me down the aisle together or agree to any "unifying" gestures, no matter how calmly and "lovingly" you make the request or how "far" you think your family has come since the divorce.  They can well perceive your wish for "unity" as pressure to be with someone they really had a hard time with and the wedding is going to remind them of how their own marriage failed. 

I think the best you can hope for is that they'll both come and not fight or otherwise be ugly to each other or you.
  • Options
    I'm sorry your dad isn't on board with this.  I would just walk with your mom then.  I personally don't like when brides walk alone.  I just find it very sad.  I know others feel differently.
  • Options
    Walk with your mom.  I'm sorry your dad isn't putting his big boy pants on for your and your husbands day and doing what makes you happy.  I am divorced and remarrying and my ex-h would walk with me tomorrow if it made my daughter happy.  We don't like each other particularly, but DD would never know that because we are ADULTS and function as such.  I hope your dad comes around for you, but otherwise, I'd walk with my mom. 

However, if you chose to walk alone, I see nothing wrong with that either and I don't find it sad at all.

June 1, 2013 - finally making it official!

• Options
    Ask your mom, she'd appreciate it. 

• Options
    Just walk with your mom if that's what you want. Or you could walk alone, there's nothing wrong with that, or you could even walk with your FI (this is what I did).
  • Options
    I can truly sympthasize, I will also probably walk alone. I wouldn't mind my mother walking me and think it is an important gesture for her but honestly-- I want my wedding and marriage to be about he & I, our journey together, not the drama surrounding my parents bitter relationship or symbolism of my mother's excellent job as a single-mom. Just me walking to my future- respecting the past but not giving it a place down the aisle.
  • Options

How does your mom feel about it? Has she expressed excitement at walking you down the aisle? I also have a strained relationship with my dad (so strained that I accidentally made him mad and now he's not coming to my wedding).... I was going to walk alone then decided to have my brother that is 2 years younger than me do it, which I'm really happy about!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards