Nevada-Las Vegas

Wedding Dress Help...

So, I guess I have two questions. 
1. For anyone who is going to Vegas while it's going to be hot out, what kind of wedding dress are you wearing? A standard dress, or a lighter less full dress? We are getting married on September 5th and will be in AC the majority of the time, except for the DDB. I want to get a normal fuller dress, but there is one that is light a flowy (bridesmaid dress, but in white) that would definitely be alot cooler. Just wondering if anyone had a problem with overheating in a normal wedding dress.

2. I went dress shopping with 3 girlfriends two weeks ago and had it narrowed down to 2 that I liked and was going to pick between. Went today with my mom, and 2 of my sisters and they hated the ones that I and my friends had liked and basically told me I didn't look good in them. They did really like a dress I tried on that was very traditional, and I just don't think that's me. So I guess my problem is how do you pick a dress that you know your mom/family strongly dislikes? I want to feel good on  the day, but I also don't want people thinking that my dress is hideous. I know there's no pleasing everyone and that it's my decision, but I'm just more confused now about which dress to get than I was before. I need to order one soon as will need it altered after I get it. 

Thanks for your input!

Re: Wedding Dress Help...

• EmiliaC01EmiliaC01 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer First Comment
    edited April 2013
    Obviously it would be great if all your loved ones love the same dress you do, but ultimately you need to love it and feel good in it. If you love one of those dresses, get it! Or if you are having second thoughts now and want to keep looking, go dress shopping with someone who knows your style, like your 3 friends. As you said, can't please everyone so you might as well like it. If you feel good in it, it will shine through and people will see that. Im getting married when it is cooler and i am wearing a sheath style dress. personally, i would avoid bulky dresses in summer or possibly get a dress to change in to later. Best of luck!
  • I'm getting married in June in the Flamingo Gardens (read: outside), and this is the dress I'll be wearing:

http://www.swakdesigns.com/plus-size/p-715-classic-maxi-dress-in-white.aspx

I knew after about trying on three dresses at David's Bridal that I was not a traditional wedding dress type of woman.

However, if you want to get a fuller dress, get a fuller dress. Not to be indelicate *cough*, but maybe you could look for cotton undergarments to help with the breathability factor (since most wedding gowns are synthetic).

Lastly, dress to please yourself. If you love your dress and feel great in it, that love will shine through.
    Nicole & Dinesh ~* June 21, 2013 *~ Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • spoon1984spoon1984 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited April 2013
    I'm getting married outside at Caesars in July. This is my dress http://www.coast-stores.com/jasmin-dress/bridal/coast/fcp-product/2224807506 From all the pictures I've seen whilst researching I'd say most brides have a full dress. However, I didn't want a traditional wedding dress, it would have been different story if I had been having a larger more traditional wedding at home but there will only be 12 of us in Vegas and this dress was ideal for me. However, if you want a full dress I'd say go for it, it's your day so get what you'll feel fabulous in. Do you some pictures of your dresses you could post? If your not keen on the dress your family liked don't go with it just to please others, it needs to be your decision. Could you go to another dress shop just to try some other styles and get a better idea of what you like.
  • I would go with whatever dress you love! My mother hates my dress but I just didn't care. I felt fantastic on it. I am getting married outside in April. Here is my dress http://enzoani.com/Enzoani/Enzoani/Gerry.html Maybe you could post the pics on the board for some honest opinions.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Well I agree go with whatever you feel your best in . It's your wedding day and it should be about you and only you and if people aren't crazy about your dress oh well! Even though I'm only having about 20 guests I am still having a traditional dress mines is a typical princess dress it is strapless with lots of tulle to make it very poofy lol but I love it :)
    Wedding Countdown Ticker Visit LasVegas.Weddings.com
  • Spoon1984 I love your dress! I've been keeping an eye on Coast for various Wedding related things but hadn't seen that one, I ended up getting my wedding dress from Monsoon in the end.

Kimberly, I agree with what everyone else has said, you need to pic a dress that YOU love, you'll be looking back at photos of that dress for many years and you don't want to regret your choice! As for the weather issue I can't help but imagine that a full dress would be quite uncomfortable in the high heat but if you're not going to be outside other than sitting on the DDB I imagine it wouldn't be so bad!

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • Thanks! It really is nicer in reality too! It's great what's on the high street, Phase Eight and Monsoon both have some lovely dresses.
  • I say get the dress that you love and feel comfortable in. If you don't want to get the dress you had already liked with your friends because of what your mum and sisters said, I would suggest going back to the shops with your friends again and finding another dress, then keeping it a secret from everyone else until the reveal on the wedding day. On you wedding day, when they see you in your dress, looking gorgeous and with a huge smile on your face, no one in their right mind would be appraising the style or cut of your dress they'll be to busy crying x
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_nevada-las-vegas_wedding-dress-help-2?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local Wedding BoardsForum:91Discussion:379633b3-fb24-4f2d-975a-2d2ce7c94be9Post:20ad581e-fa21-4e93-8b0d-7e22edd31021">Re: Wedding Dress Help...</a>:
    [QUOTE]I say get the dress that you love and feel comfortable in. If you don't want to get the dress you had already liked with your friends because of what your mum and sisters said, I would suggest going back to the shops with your friends again and finding another dress, then keeping it a secret from everyone else until the reveal on the wedding day. On you wedding day, when they see you in your dress, looking gorgeous and with a huge smile on your face, no one in their right mind would be appraising the style or cut of your dress they'll be to busy crying x
    Posted by sdg2502[/QUOTE]

Well said SDG!

And Spoon ... I never even thought to look in Phase Eight! Ah well, I'm all sorted now anyway, although maybe I should check out their shoes ...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
       UK based bride, getting married in Vegas on 14th April 2014!
  • i agree its your day you pick your dream dress!! its your day your opinion is the most important. i love my dress and it might be a little too hot to wear in 6 wks but its all indoors so i should be able to cope. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • In Response to Re: Wedding Dress Help...:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Wedding Dress Help... : Well said SDG! And Spoon ... I never even thought to look in Phase Eight! Ah well, I'm all sorted now anyway, although maybe I should check out their shoes ...
    Posted by Jiimanie[/QUOTE]

I got my shoes from New Look, of all places! They just fitted the bill, I wanted lace, a peeptoe and some shoes were either too white or too cream. I used an online code for 25% off. I started off looking at shoes 5 times the price but these ones suited me best and such a bargain too. After an hour or so I'll be pulling on some flat sandals which I've still to find, not as much luck finding them! http://www.newlook.com/shop/shoe-gallery/view-all-shoes/ivory-lace-peep-toe-bridal-shoes_273372112
  • I picked a dress, that one of my bridesmaid hate but everyone else loved. Pick what you want! People will deal with it. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards