Plus-Sized

Ugh, why does it have to be this way? (Size 18)

I ordered my dress this weekend for my December wedding, and it is due to come in during September. I was really reluctant to order it because I have been slowly losing weight and I am about to crank it up a notch. Currently I am a street size 12/14, and I THINK my dress size is going to be an 18, based on what the bridal shop owner measured me as. She said that when my dress comes in it can be altered down three sizes (down to a 12).

I am really stressing over this! What if I lose too much weight and my dress doesn't fit at all? I hate that they have to be ordered so early... I have never had a steady weight and all this pressure makes me want to just stop eating altogether!

Re: Ugh, why does it have to be this way? (Size 18)

• In Response to Ugh, why does it have to be this way? (Size 18):
    [QUOTE]I ordered my dress this weekend for my December wedding, and it is due to come in during September. I was really reluctant to order it because I have been slowly losing weight and I am about to crank it up a notch. Currently I am a street size 12/14, and I THINK my dress size is going to be an 18, based on what the bridal shop owner measured me as. She said that when my dress comes in it can be altered down three sizes (down to a 12). I am really stressing over this! What if I lose too much weight and my dress doesn't fit at all? I hate that they have to be ordered so early... I have never had a steady weight and all this pressure makes me want to just stop eating altogether!
    Posted by galacticevenstar[/QUOTE]

First, try to breathe.  I know it's stressful, but, just try to maintain your weight as closely as possible.  Don't stop eating. You don't want to end up unhealthy and totally stressed out even further.

Some designers take longer than others. I'm assuming you ordered a Maggie or some other designer that takes a little longer. The only way to avoid what you are going through is to order a designer with a shorter lead time.

It sounds like your consultant knows what she is talking about. Most dresses can be taken in up to 2 sizes. 3 sizes is pushing it, but it can be done.  It can be let out usually, up to one size. Even more than 3 sizes can be done, but it usually means remaking the dress and requires the skills of a VERY good seamstress and it will be pricey. 

The overall answer though is, there isn't much you can do about it other than try to stay healthy.  Keep an eye on your weight gain/loss and go from there.  You'll have lots of other things to stress about.  Try not to worry about this one.

• Order smaller.  You will pay tons of money to have a dress taken in significantly.  If you know you can lose it, order smaller.
  • In Response to Re: Ugh, why does it have to be this way? (Size 18):
    [QUOTE]Order smaller.  You will pay tons of money to have a dress taken in significantly.  If you know you can lose it, order smaller.
    Posted by stampadhesive[/QUOTE]

Honestly, this is usually really, really bad advice.  There is no way to know where on a person's body weight will come off first. There have been dozens of brides who thought for SURE they would lose the weight, or they lost 30 pounds, but it all came off in their butt and thighs first and they still needed a larger size in the bodice and come here in tears that their dresses don't fit.

It's much much easier to take a dress in than it is to let it out.  And almost always better to order the size that you are currently rather than hoping you lose weight in the right spots. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards