Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

am I crazy?

I am having a June wedding and I know thats not crazy but my colors are red and black, I have had nothing but negitive feed back from my in-laws about the colors. That they are too dark fro a summer wedding and i should choose lighter colors and that its just to dark for a wedding in general. 

1. Me and my fiance are not light color people our wardrobe is make up of majorily black clothing and my whole family keeps telling me that the whole thing is very us.

2. The whole thing is going to take place inside with airconditioning and will be at night.

recently i have tried looking at other colors but nothing feels like us and i dont know if me wanting to change things is me or my in-laws. 

Re: am I crazy?

• Don't listen to them. It's a non-issue. My bff's colors were black and red in July, too! It was not my style, but still beautiful. 
  • hurleykinshurleykins member
    First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_ceremony-ideas_am-i-crazy?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:10Discussion:3958f5a2-9928-495c-997c-89b898b5702fPost:34ab2367-a3c1-45f2-864f-a6b3f01a8025">am I crazy?</a>:
    [QUOTE]I am having a June wedding and I know thats not crazy but my colors are red and black, I have had nothing but negitive feed back from my in-laws about the colors. That they are too dark fro a summer wedding and i should choose lighter colors and that its just to dark for a wedding in general.  1. Me and my fiance are not light color people our wardrobe is make up of majorily black clothing and my whole family keeps telling me that the whole thing is very us. 2. The whole thing is going to take place inside with airconditioning and will be at night. recently i have tried looking at other colors but nothing feels like us and i dont know if me wanting to change things is me or my in-laws. 
    Posted by rlmasel[/QUOTE]
    You are not crazy! :) I agree that red and black are dark colors, however, I think they can be very romantic colors if done right. I'm assuming you're incorporating white into this as well? Which will help tone down the dark colors a bit. Sounds like that will be perfect for you guys. Not sure what "vibe" you're going for here, but when I think of red, black, night wedding...it sounds sexy and romantic to me! I'd go with it! :)
  • One of my bridesmaids had a red, black, and white wedding in July AND her dress was black and white patterned. It was beautiful. Don't listen to them.
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • Do what you want!  

That said, switching black for navy might look nice too and shut up the haterz.
  • Do you and your FI like it?
    That's all that matters.

I have heard all negative things about my wedding the colors, the month, travel, weather. I realized it's best and least stressful to keep some details to yourself. 

I personally think the black and red is romantic and elegant and dramatic. I love your choice !

Are your in-laws contributing to the wedding? Then I can see how that's an issue , but perhaps you can suggest them to help in other ways....

• I think black and red at night is romantic and special at any time of the year. (Pictures!)

If it's what you and your FI want, then your ILs' opinion doesn't count unless they're paying, in which case I'd pay for it myself. 
  • I think the combination of black and red is classic and romantic and would work anytime of year. 
  • Very, very romantic!!! Classy! Eloquent!!! Did I say romantic!!!! ;) We can never please everyone and will die if we try! This is your day! Make it your own. In 10 years when the peeps look at your photos, will they care about those colors as much as you will when you see the pics. In other words, it will burn you more. Keep your day yours! Being true to you and FI can not go wrong!! Best wishes and congrats!

tinkerbell gif photo: Tinkerbell stuck in keyhole animated gif Peterpan2_coince9e.gif
  • Not crazy, but just remember if your wedding is 2+ years out you might change your mind on your own...
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Some people are just more traditional than others, and see those colours as too "dark" for weddings. They are entitled to their opinions... but what is important is that you and your fiance choose colours that YOU are happy with, and that you feel best represent YOU.

If Red & Black are those colours-- stick with it! Tell everyone that you appreciate their input, but you are happy with your decision and then politely ask that they respect your choice. Smile
  • No you are not. It's your wedding and those colors sound so romantic. Go for it.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • you're most certainly not! plenty of other brides do it and it's YOUR wedding!. your special day is a reflection of you and your husband, not anyone else.  Do not lot comments like that affect you
  • Sounds great to me.  Especially since it's at night.  I say it's your wedding and you can do what you want!
  • It is your wedding, use whatever colors fit you both best!  
  • Does this mean I can't wear white after Labor Day??  Seriously,  what is wrong with people!  Do what you want.  If you don't, it won't be YOUR day.  Sometimes I think in-laws, friends, etc. try to live vicariously through us brides!
  • I agree with all these posts, especially with not giving away too many details of what you are planning.  My wedding is still a year a way, and my mistake was telling people what details I was planning, which apparently some people take as an opportunity to critique and tell you what you should do instead. 
    Whether or not anyone else is contributing to the wedding, it is YOUR and YOUR FI'S wedding, not theirs.  Even if anyone is offering to pay for things, you guys get the final decision.  And if you find that some people are being too critical for your liking, don't offer them any details, just say the planning is coming along well.  
  • This is one of the few instances in which I'll say "It's your day, do what you want!"
  • Everyone's a critic and knows what's best for you when you're planning a wedding.  What's tacky or distasteful to one person is perfect and gorgeous to another.  Stick to your guns and have the best day!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards