Montana

Questions from an out-of-towner

Hi there Montana girls! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon, and we have both always dreamed of going to Montana (we're from Georgia). One little problem is that neither we nor anyone we know closely has ever spent much time there, and we're doing everything from all the way in Georgia! We've fallen in love with pictures of NW Montana, and have decided that we are going to try to find a cabin on or near Flathead Lake. Does anyone have any strong feelings about whether this is a good or bad place for a quiet, romantic honeymoon? We are both outdoors-y people who will be looking forward to some hiking and fishing while we're up there. 

I guess I mostly just want to see if anyone can give me any insider words of wisdom? Thanks y'all!

Re: Questions from an out-of-towner

• I hope you get some answers from people who live there...obviously this board dosn't get much traffic. FI and I went out to that area last April and feel in love with it. We're planning our destination wedding and then our relocation there. I think your plan sounds like an awesome idea but I wanted you to know that I heard that it gets very busy out there during the summer. It was quiet and peaceful and everywhere we hiked and went we were basically the only people in April. Also everything is cheaper - we were able to stay in a beautiful (4 diamond) hotel for significantly less than the rooms at the Holiday Inn in the summer. But at the same time only a tiny fraction of Glacier National Park was open for us to see. I'm from Chicago and "busy" is a relative term so I really don't know how busy it actually gets. We're going out there next summer to pick our venue and to change our plans if it's too busy (were planning on a summer 2014 wedding). I honesltly think the only con of that area would be the increased costs and tourists in the summer if that's when you're going. 

Sorry I'm not too much help...good luck and congratulations!!!
  • Congrats! My fianc and I live in LA but he grew up there And I spent every winter and summer on Flathead lake! It's the most wonderful place on the planet. I highly suggest it :. I'd be happy to give you a few recommendations for places and/or hikes off the beaten path if you'd like. When are you planning your trip? Melissa
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_montana_questions-from-an-out-of-towner?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:100Discussion:5cf33b28-0052-4b43-92e3-6fa695e2e779Post:f442fc7a-7132-46ef-adf8-70d69c58d52f">Questions from an out-of-towner</a>:
    [QUOTE]Hi there Montana girls! My fiance and I are planning our honeymoon, and we have both always dreamed of going to Montana (we're from Georgia). One little problem is that neither we nor anyone we know closely has ever spent much time there, and we're doing everything from all the way in Georgia! We've fallen in love with pictures of NW Montana, and have decided that we are going to try to find a cabin on or near Flathead Lake. Does anyone have any strong feelings about whether this is a good or bad place for a quiet, romantic honeymoon? We are both outdoors-y people who will be looking forward to some hiking and fishing while we're up there.  I guess I mostly just want to see if anyone can give me any insider words of wisdom? Thanks y'all!
    Posted by laurahope13[/QUOTE]
    Flathead Lake is a very busy lake, but lovely. There are much quieter lakes if you're looking for some romantic isolation. I grew up in the Flathead and live here now. If you have any questions or need help locating a vacation rental, my email is selenainafrica@gmail.com. I think I may have already sent you a message, but I can't recall...so if this is a duplicate sorry! I have friends in Whitefish that deal with rentals. 5 star vacation rentals is a great resource for housing. You will definitely want to take a trip to Glacier and especially to Many Glacier if you have time. You might consider staying at the Many Glacier hotel for a night. It's a really special place. Cheers. 
  • bflvetterbflvetter member
    First Comment
    edited January 2013
    This site has tons of great ideas! I'm a native Montanan and live here to this day and I love to use it for day trip ideas. Have fun and enjoy our beautiful state!

http://getlostmt.com/
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards