Honeymoon Discussions

NYC - Wedding night hotel Suggestion

We live in NH and are honeymooning at Disney. FI wants to drive (ugh).

Our wedding is Sunday Oct 6th, brunch reception will be done by 4. It's approx a 5-5.5 hour drive to NYC where we are thinking about spending our wedding night because it is a cool place and it takes a chunk out of our drive.

I've always wanted to eat at a Ramsay restaurant and Maze is open until 11 so I *think* that may give us time to make a reservation there. I am worried about local traffic and parking costs though. It's $500 a night to stay at the London which is too much. I'd like to try to keep it under $300 if possible.

Is there another hotel that's less expensive in that area? or is this just overall a silly idea?

If anyone has a better suggestion for a good wedding night stay I am open to suggestions.  it doesn't have to be in the city. We are leaving early the next morning so it's really just to have a memorable wedding night....

TIA!
image   imageimage
You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

Re: NYC - Wedding night hotel Suggestion

• Muppet, you may want to post this on the NYC board if you haven't already.  They'd probably be able to give you the best suggestions.  I have only been there once and don't have any suggestions for you unfortunately.  But, my only suggestion is that you may not want to be driving that far on your wedding night.  Maybe stay in Boston instead?
  • I'm going to suggest the Maritime in Chelsea, though it's not in the area that you mentioned. Ones I can think of in Midtown are the Parker Meridien (with its characteristic Burger Joint) and the Sheraton on 7th Ave, not sure about their prices though. A third and budget friendly option would be the Holiday Inn on 57th @ 9th Ave. Still on 57th St across from the Time Warner Center is the very cool Hudson Hotel.
  • Or you could opt for the Empire and request a room overlooking the Lincoln Center... Or a Central Park view room at the Trump International on Columbus Circle...
  • The NYC board is pretty dead. The two Kimpton hotels in NYC are nice, one is called the Muse, I can't remember the other one. And they tend to be less pricey. The Sheraton Hotel Tower is better than the other Sheraton on the same block. I've had crazy good luck with the Priceline Hotwire bids, it's a roll of the dice but I've gotten a Marriott room for under 200.
  • MuppetFanMuppetFan member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    I don't want to drive at all but FI does. He's disabled and his car has hand controls. I have free airline tickets and we can rent a car with hand controls no problem....but he wants his car and he likes driving so I'm just going to roll with it. We are going to stop in the Carloinas on the way back

Yeah local boards are dead overall. Thanks for the ideas. We talked about it and I pretty much can't guarantee at all we'll be able to make the meal I want so the location prob wont matter as much.

I'll look at those hotels and check out the priceline, I didn't think of that. It could work esp if it doesn't matter where we are for sure. Less than $200 = very appealing. I got to stay at some amazing $500-$700 night hotels in Boston before using that for $99.00
    image   imageimage
    You'll never be subject to a cash bar, gap, potluck wedding, or b-list if you marry a Muppet Overlord.

• emeejeeayenemeejeeayen member
    5 Love Its First Comment Name Dropper First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    Check out Jetsetter deals. They have some good NY ones up right now.

Are you familiar with NY? If not, you should look into (or I could suggest if you want) which area(s) would be best to stay in. I just say this because I had a friend who had only been to Times Square and just thought NY was super noisy and gross. I took her to the West Village and she about died (with love, obv). 

ETA: doh, obv you'd want to stay near that restaurant. The Empire Hotel is pretty close, but it can be pricey. Something to also note about NYC hotel is that the rooms are TINY. As in, you may not be able to get a wheelchair in the room of many, if that's what FI uses. And parking can be insane redonkulous levels of expensive. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
  • In Response to Re:NYC Wedding night hotel Suggestion:[QUOTE]Check out Jetsetter deals. They have some good NY ones up right now.Are you familiar with NY? If not, you should look into or I could suggest if you want which areas would be best to stay in. I just say this because I had a friend who had only been to Times Square and just thought NY was super noisy and gross. I took her to the West Village and she about died with love, obv.nbsp;ETA: doh, obv you'd want to stay near that restaurant. The Empire Hotel is pretty close, but it can be pricey. Something to also note about NYC hotel is that the rooms are TINY. As in, you may not be able to get a wheelchair in the room of many, if that's what FI uses. And parking can be insane redonkulous levels of expensive.nbsp; Posted by emeejeeayen[/QUOTE]

Seriously. I'd stay away from the Hudson Hotel and The Dream, their rooms in particular are minuscule. Basically a bed with 8 inches of space to walk around the sides.
  • Hudson is small - not a great experience. Suggest you try Priceline. If you can pay up, maybe try Mondrian soho. I'd also try Airbnb.com
  • Are you opposed to NJ? There is a beautiful W hotel in Hoboken. The path to Manhattan is 4 blocks away.  I personally wouldn't drive through Manhattan.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Another vote for Priceline. A couple of years ago I got the Radisson in midtown for 99 a night on 4th of July weekend! I agree with PPs that the driving is miserable. I personally won't do it but FI doesn't mind. As for parking, my uncle taught me a trick that you can save a lot of money by parking in one of the private garages near the rivers.
  • CrazyCatLady3CrazyCatLady3 member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment First Answer
    edited April 2013
    The Ameritania hotel is literally right down the block from the London on 54th Street and runs you about $200/night.  I would not want to get married, drive 5 hours, and deal with mass transit from NJ to NYC in one day.  It will not be enjoyable.  Plus nyc mass transit is unfortunately not wheelchair friendly for the most part (buses yes, subway no).

There's also a Hilton on 53rd between 6th and 7th Avenues.
  • driving in manhattan really isn't that difficult. i mean aside of lower the streets are all in numerical order. i learned how to drive there and do it all the time. it's just like driving in italy or london or anywhere-it's something new and needs attention.

if you request a handicap room most places will be able to accomodate.

to make it easy for your FI see if you can find a hotel near the restaurant ( i have no idea where it is i avoid celebrity chef places).

• edited February 2018
    *Removed for TOS Violation* 
  • I find driving in NYC to be better than driving in San Francisco where I'm from. Just my two cents. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker whatshouldwecallweddings.tumblr.com
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards