Attire & Accessories Forum

Beach brides...anyone try wearing heels?

I'm pretty short (5'1") and have always been a heels girl.  Plus FH is also almost a foot taller than me.  I rarely wear flip flops on a normal day, and don't really care for the look with my gown.  It's odd that so many people say to wear whatever dress you fall in love with, but then pair it with casual flip flops.  And all the wedges I've seen just look clunky.  Our ceremony will be on the beach in Hawaii, followed by dinner at one of the resort's restaurants.  I figured that I would still have to walk to and from the beach location and that would be on pavement.  Do you think I can still wear heels? I found these Badgley Mischka Randall heels that match my dress perfectly!  But they're 4 inches!!! (yikes)  Will it look completely stupid if I walk to the ceremony location and take off my heels just before I hit the sand?

Re: Beach brides...anyone try wearing heels?

• I'd be more worred about your dress dragging and tripping you up (if it's floor-length) Where the hem will fall with 4" heels and where it will fall with you barefoot would be quite different.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment

The Randall is satin, right? Personally, I wouldn't take a pair of $200 satin heels anywhere near a beach.

Why not get some wedge flipflops (lots of brides here on TK buy theirs from Victoria's Secret) and wear your satin heels for your reception?

• angiejoyjonesangiejoyjones member
    First Comment First Anniversary
    edited April 2013
    I had the same dilemma as well. I will be wearing these for the getting around the beach (I'll probably kick them off when I am on the sand, but getting to/from the car, doing photos, etc.):

and these for the reception:

I agree with PP, I would not want my nice satin shoes anywhere near the sand, water, etc. and you will not be able to walk in them on the sand at all, so you would be carrying them the whole time. That is why I decided on a flop vs. a strapped-on wedge, for ease of taking on/off. Good luck!  It took me awhile to find a pair I liked with my dress.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • There are some beautiful wedges out there that aren't chunky that I'd wear for the ceremony. Don't take expensive satin shoes near sand and water!
  • Thanks for the advice ladies :)  I'm not too worried about destroying the heels.  I feel like grass would do more damage to white satin than sand.  Plus, I don't really foresee myself reusing much of anything from the wedding.  Who actually does?  Maybe if I dye them black after the wedding, it would be an option.  My main concern is tripping in the sand
  • itzMSitzMS member
    First Answer First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Comment
    In Response to Re: Beach brides...anyone try wearing heels?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the advice ladies :)  I'm not too worried about destroying the heels.  I feel like grass would do more damage to white satin than sand.  Plus, I don't really foresee myself reusing much of anything from the wedding.  Who actually does?  Maybe if I dye them black after the wedding, it would be an option.  My main concern is tripping in the sand
    Posted by sinta72[/QUOTE]

Must be nice. Why not just take them to the beach, then, before your wedding and practice walking in them?
  • In Response to Re: Beach brides...anyone try wearing heels?:
    [QUOTE]Thanks for the advice ladies :)  I'm not too worried about destroying the heels.  I feel like grass would do more damage to white satin than sand.  Plus, I don't really foresee myself reusing much of anything from the wedding.  Who actually does?  Maybe if I dye them black after the wedding, it would be an option.  My main concern is tripping in the sand
    Posted by sinta72[/QUOTE]

If I bought a pair of Badgley Mischka heels for my wedding you better believe I would be finding many a place to wear those suckers again.  But hey if you want to destroy an amazing and expensive pair of shoes go for it.

Also, I have worn my ivory satin heels from my wedding several times since.

Honestly, since your dress is long I would purchase a pair of wedge flip flops that you could wear both on and off the sand so you don't have to worry about the dramatic change in length of your dress.

• msuprincess04msuprincess04 member
    5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper First Comment
    edited April 2013
    In spiked heels (or really any kind of narrow heel) you will sink. And you don't want to get stuck while attempting to walk down the aisle or lose your footing in the middle of your vows. Not exactly graceful. It will honestly depend on where you are getting married, the sand consistency, and what you feel like. Take your shoes and go for a walk on some sand before the wedding and see what you think. If you have the budget, buy them and plan on wearing them for pictures and at the reception. But bring a back up pair of wedges for the ceremony, otherwise you may end up barefoot with a dragging dress.
    "There is always some madness in love. But there is also always some reason in madness." -Friedrich Nietzsche, "On Reading and Writing"
  • In Response to Re: Beach brides...anyone try wearing heels?:
    [QUOTE]In spiked heels (or really any kind of narrow heel) you will sink. And you don't want to get stuck while attempting to walk down the aisle or lose your footing in the middle of your vows. Not exactly graceful. It will honestly depend on where you are getting married, the sand consistency, and what you feel like. Take your shoes and go for a walk on some sand before the wedding and see what you think. If you have the budget, buy them and plan on wearing them for pictures and at the reception. But bring a back up pair of wedges for the ceremony, otherwise you may end up barefoot with a dragging dress.
    Posted by msuprincess04[/QUOTE]

A couple of my BMs had this problem. The ceremony was inside, but we took pictures outside. There was no sand, but the ground was soft since it had rained within the past couple of days. The two bridesmaids who were in narrow heels had serious problems sinking. The two in wedges did not. We actually got a cute picture out of it with the two trying to get their heels out of the soft ground:

You can see the two closest to me (who ended up picking the same shoe entirely by chance) trying to pull their heels out from sinking while one of the wedge BMs is very amused. I woldn't like to think what would happen with those heels on sand, but yeah, it doesn't sound like you were planning on wearing them onto the beach, hence my "change of hemline" comment.

On another note, I've already worn my shoes for the wedding again, and I've only been married a month.
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
  • I'm also facing the same problem. I'm getting married barefoot on the beach, but will be wearing heels for the reception.

Tip to deal with the change in dress length, my seamstress is putting in mini bustles in the front of my dress so that when I am barefoot, the front will be lifted by 4 inches or so. Then they can easily be let down when you put your heels on.

Just a thought....
  • i'm  5'1" also and wearing flat sandals not flip flops but something more bedazzled. Also my dress is long and you will not see them anyway
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards