Wedding Reception Forum

Vintage linens that don't match or new ones that do?

Hello!
I am having a Southern Vintage wedding and I am planning on using as much heirloom type things in the wedding. However, when the older females in the family got their linens out to take stock, most of what they had REALLY didn't match- I'm talking ivory lace and white satin- just doesn't work together. On top of that, they are all different legnths and some are way too short for the tables, which are farm tables. So now I don't know what to do. I want my wedding to be very vintage but I stil want it to be cohesive. Have you seen anything that mixes different laces, satins, brocades on the table linens and still looked good?

Re: Vintage linens that don't match or new ones that do?

• I don't have an issue with mismatched items, however, each item will need to serve it's purpose. If it's a table cover, it is going to have to cover one entire table, not be pieced together with another table cover to fit, if you know what I mean.

I think you probably want the same "family" or "theme", ie every table has a lace table cover, but they don't necessarily have to be identical. You don't indicate your colors, but if you are using white, try for the whitest possible, or if cream, have all of them be cream. Antique items can yellow with age, and you don't really want them to be entirely different shades of "aging".

I'd recommend trying to shoot for something similar on each table, whether it's a table runner or centerpiece. From there you can mismatch, but it looks like a "managed mis-match". I found the perfect fabric for my table runners by searching for black & cream toile curtains. Found them on sale at Penney's, ordered 2 sets, got 6 table runners from each set. Search for floor length curtains on sale at the various online sites like Bed, bath & beyond, Penney's, Walmart, Kmart, etc. Floor length curtains are 84 inches, which if your tables are 6 feet long, allow for a drop on each end of 6 inches.

Good luck.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards