Wedding Etiquette Forum

HP movies

I am almost done with the 6th book and I plan to watch all the movies soon. What are thoughts on the movies? Do they do the books justice? I've never seen any.

Re: HP movies

• YES they do.  With the exception of the first movie which kind of juvenile compared to the rest.  The later movies start skipping some things that in the book you think are very important details and it's really good to have the book knowledge to fill in the blanks.  Mr Stack hasn't read the books and likes the movies, but enjoys that I can give him some back story on a few things. 
  • The books are always better, but I really do love the movies!
  • TBH, I'm not a huge fan of the movies.  I've seen all of them so far, and I'm just...I don't know.  It's difficult for me to see a film made from a book I really like, unless I see the movie before I read the book.  I think if I'd read the books after seeing the movies it would have been okay.  I'm just way picky about directors taking liberties or changing plot points, or omitting huge pieces from the books.

Although I realize that, with HP, there's a lot that needs to be cut, because the books are so long.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• IMHO, the best movie was the first one.  Since the book was shorter, they could pretty much follow it without leaving out any major details.  I also felt the characters were most true to my perception of them, esepcially since Hermione still had poofy hair XD

You might find a lot of people who are down on the movies.  I've liked all of them, even though the later ones leave out a lot of the story.  There's only so much you can fit in the length of a movie.

imageimage

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Also, I'm VERY glad that the last book is being put into 2 movies.  It's necessary and I think it will really help the movie be AMAZING! 
  • I don't think they do the books justice, but I also don't think there's a way they could without being super long.  So I think they did the best they could.  Although, I was really disappointed with one particular thing in the last movie, but I won't spoil anything for you :)

I almost feel bad for people who see the movies, but haven't read the books becaues Stack is right, there are a lot of holes.
    ttc chart
    BFP 8/01/12, EDD 04/10/12, mm/c @ 6wks, discovered at 8wks, D&C 9/05/12
  • I like the movies ok, but they're not the books.  They certainly don't do a couple of key elements justice. 
  • Movie 6 is EPICLY disappointing. Atleast it was to me. When I watched it in the theaters, I sat there with my mouth open and pretty much everyone including myself yelled at the screen, "that's not how it happened!" at a particular point. The movies are good if you base them on a cinematic experience, just don't expect them to hold entirely true to the books.
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• Depends.  The first two were too Disneyesque for me.  The third one is how I pictured Hogwarts and is loyal to the story.

After that, they began cutting way too much out.  I have no idea why they left Fleur out of the last movie because she and Bill have a pretty big part in the final book.  They haven't done any set up to bring her into the Weasley family.
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:3134f3e5-da45-4e58-84b7-2620fd2aa1fa">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I don't think they do the books justice, but I also don't think there's a way they could without being super long.  So I think they did the best they could.  Although, I was really disappointed with one particular thing in the last movie, but I won't spoil anything for you :) <strong>I almost feel bad for people who see the movies, but haven't read the books becaues Stack is right, there are a lot of holes.</strong>
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

<div>I always wonder how people who've never read the books have any idea what's going on. Without the book knowledge or someone to fill you in on the blanks it must seem like just a big old mess.</div>
  • I like the movies, but I don't think I'd like them as much if it weren't for the fact that I love the books. They're good on their own, but they're not as amazing as the books.
  • this is all very interesting to me.

Thanks for no DH spoilers TR!!

Can someone tell me this, is the Luna Lovegood character true to the character in the book? Because I really like her. I hope she is the same as I imagine her in the book.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:3134f3e5-da45-4e58-84b7-2620fd2aa1fa">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]<strong>Although, I was really disappointed with one particular thing in the last movie, but I won't spoil anything for you :</strong>) I almost feel bad for people who see the movies, but haven't read the books becaues Stack is right, there are a lot of holes.
    Posted by FutureMrsTR[/QUOTE]

Are we talking about the same thing? Because if we are.... OMG weren't you furious?
    I iz not Bridezilla.imageI iz Veloceraptor!

FOR SALE!!.

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:91ebd263-ce12-4fe9-a267-05444582a5f3">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Movie 6 is EPICLY disappointing. Atleast it was to me. When I watched it in the theaters, I sat there with my mouth open and pretty much everyone including myself yelled at the screen, "that's not how it happened!" at a particular point. The movies are good if you base them on a cinematic experience, just don't expect them to hold entirely true to the books.
    Posted by sep72fendr[/QUOTE]

I think I know the scene.  FI and I are both wondering where the wedding is going to be or if they are going to somehow write out Bill and Fleur.  I was waiting the whole of Movie 6 to hear Fleur utter my favorite line, "I think I am good looking enough for ze both of us."
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:52a9ebe4-dd29-444f-9af4-3dd7b0eae591">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]this is all very interesting to me. Thanks for no DH spoilers TR!! Can someone tell me this, is the Luna Lovegood character true to the character in the book? Because I really like her. I hope she is the same as I imagine her in the book.
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

<div>Luna in the movie Rocks. My. Socks.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:be7c9a9b-ce44-4ffe-b1fa-e0aa0bb04c14">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HP movies : I always wonder how people who've never read the books have any idea what's going on. Without the book knowledge or someone to fill you in on the blanks it must seem like just a big old mess.
    Posted by mandapanda78[/QUOTE]

I felt bad for H because he hasn't read the books, but came along with me to the last movie and I was trying to discreetly help him out, but it was hard.  And then it got to the end and I almost had a meltdown (I'm exaggerating, please don't anyone think I would actually do that) in the theatre and he had to listen to me bitch all the way home about what they messed up, haha.

Interesting note:  The spell check caught when I typed "biitch" out of habit and suggested I change it to "bitch".  Thanks spell check!
    ttc chart
  • Yes. I thought Luna was really well done. She makes me laugh.

And IMO, movie one was the best of the bunch. It was SO like the book and the sense of absolute wonder throughout (as in the book, from Harry) carried through very well. The worst movie for me (sadly, because it means I dislike RPattz one the most) was Goblet of Fire. Waaay too much was changed and not because "it's too long and complex to put into movie form" but just because. And that irks me. Though movie five and six were done amazingly well and I can see why they changed things in them (some things can't be construed properly through film) and the comic relief in six that lots of people hated, I thought was absolutely necessary to set up to the drama at the end and then movies seven and eight.
  • I really liked all the movies except the 6th. It's just boring and drags on. Sounds like fun, huh?

The rest are great with the time they had. If they made them true to the books they would all be 5 hours long. There are a lot of holes and they actually drop several story lines, but that's what happens, I guess.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:52a9ebe4-dd29-444f-9af4-3dd7b0eae591">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]this is all very interesting to me. Thanks for no DH spoilers TR!! Can someone tell me this, is the Luna Lovegood character true to the character in the book? Because I really like her. I hope she is the same as I imagine her in the book.
    Posted by vallyhoo[/QUOTE]

I actually love Luna Lovegood in the movies........I think they could make her a tad bit more "out there" ...... but she's sweet and quirky and I love her in the books and the movies.  I think in the movies she looks like she could be Alix's little sister.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:cf9770f4-5246-4bd9-bc99-f0703f8f8eac">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Maybe when they release the 2nd half they can do a double feature, because that would be so awesome.
    Posted by waltzingmatilda13[/QUOTE]

They damn well better re-release it. I'm simply not going to see the first one until the second one comes out. And if that means I have to wait until they both come out on DVD, I will. I'm just not going to be left hanging.
    "In the old days my ass would be in your back yard picking cotton, so excuse me if I don't put much stock in how f*cking awesome the old days were." -Nuggs
  • I think the thing is that if you're going to watch the movies, you just have to accept that they're not going to be the same as the books. Movies made from books have to take shortcuts to make the story cinematic and to make it fit within the length that a movie should be, and one just needs to accept that. That said, my thoughts:

1 & 2: Ugh, I hate Chris Columbus (who directed them). He just doesn't know how to set up a scene, and he relies way way way too much on cutting to Rupert Grint for a cheesy, hammy reaction shot. I'm so glad he didn't make all the movies.

3: This had a much different feel from the cheesy and childish first two, thanks to Cuaron, who really knows how to tell stories about teenagers. I had some problems with the way they cut things out of the book, because a lot of the back story in Book 3 is so poetic, but the overall feel and spirit of this movie was terrific.

4: I really, really liked this one and thought it came together quite well. Also, you should watch this YouTube video, which is the funniest trailer mashup I have ever seen:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9D0veHTxh0

5: Didn't really like it, but then I didn't like the book either.

6: My favorite. FI and I saw it three times in the theaters. All of the stuff with the kids falling in love is hysterical - watch especially for Alan Rickman in the background, who does lots of funny things.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • I'm certain they'll re-release it.  They wouldn't pass up the opportunity to make more money.
    ttc chart
  • Thanks Sarah! I will check out that youtube at home - stupid work blocks it.
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:02c0416e-ed13-4ba3-a45f-72cb99a2cd5b">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the thing is that if you're going to watch the movies, you just have to accept that they're not going to be the same as the books. Movies made from books have to take shortcuts to make the story cinematic and to make it fit within the length that a movie should be, and one just needs to accept that. That said, my thoughts: 1 & 2: Ugh, I hate Chris Columbus (who directed them). He just doesn't know how to set up a scene, and he relies way way way too much on cutting to Rupert Grint for a cheesy, hammy reaction shot. I'm so glad he didn't make all the movies. 3: This had a much different feel from the cheesy and childish first two, thanks to Cuaron, who really knows how to tell stories about teenagers. I had some problems with the way they cut things out of the book, because a lot of the back story in Book 3 is so poetic, but the overall feel and spirit of this movie was terrific. 4: I really, really liked this one and thought it came together quite well. Also, you should watch this YouTube video, which is the funniest trailer mashup I have ever seen: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9D0veHTxh0" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9D0veHTxh0</a> 5: Didn't really like it, but then I didn't like the book either. 6: My favorite. FI and I saw it three times in the theaters. All of the stuff with the kids falling in love is hysterical - watch especially for Alan Rickman in the background, who does lots of funny things.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

I loved the change in the cinemetography in the 3rd movie.

Now I'm going to have to check for Alan Rickman in movie 6!  I missed that.

Books read in 2012: 21/50

AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

• In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:5653be38-d930-47b4-9b72-2420b4f56e24">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]Luna is my favorite character in the movies.  <strong>As for characters, I heart the Weasley twins,</strong> and I was so disappointed that they cut their best lines out of the movies. LVB, I was really irritated when I found out they were splitting up 7 into two movies.  I don't think there's really any reason for it.  They cut the hell out of books 4, 5, and 6.  I can see that maybe they're trying to stay more true to book 7, but I don't think that they would have had to cut more out of it than the other books, and have it be one film.  Maybe add a bit more length, but still, come on.
    Posted by baystateapple[/QUOTE]

<div>So long as you accept that George Weasley is mine, all mine, you can't have him, then we are ok here.</div>
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:d716edff-8869-47b6-952d-ff7393a0171a">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HP movies : I loved the change in the cinemetography in the 3rd movie. Now I'm going to have to check for Alan Rickman in movie 6!  I missed that.

Watch him when Lavender comes into the hospital. HILARIOUS. When FI and my sister and I saw it for the first time, we were all dying.
    imageimage
    Our Story MAJORLY UPDATED 8/6/09
    Wouldn't it be nice to live together in the kind of world where we belong?
  • In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:d716edff-8869-47b6-952d-ff7393a0171a">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: HP movies : I loved the change in the cinemetography in the 3rd movie. Now I'm going to have to check for Alan Rickman in movie 6!  I missed that.

Huh, I am going to have to do that too. I was pissed off with the movie I hadn't noticed
    *Rafs Girl* Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • alixzafirisalixzafiris member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary First Comment Combo Breaker
    edited September 2010
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/wedding-boards_etiquette_hp-movies?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Wedding%20BoardsForum:9Discussion:fd0fec93-0084-486c-a337-e08f0afd49d7Post:02c0416e-ed13-4ba3-a45f-72cb99a2cd5b">Re: HP movies</a>:
    [QUOTE]I think the thing is that if you're going to watch the movies, you just have to accept that they're not going to be the same as the books. Movies made from books have to take shortcuts to make the story cinematic and to make it fit within the length that a movie should be, and one just needs to accept that. That said, my thoughts: 1 & 2: Ugh, I hate Chris Columbus (who directed them). He just doesn't know how to set up a scene, and he relies way way way too much on cutting to Rupert Grint for a cheesy, hammy reaction shot. I'm so glad he didn't make all the movies. 3: T<strong>his had a much different feel from the cheesy and childish first two, thanks to Cuaron, who really knows how to tell stories about teenagers.</strong> I had some problems with the way they cut things out of the book, because a lot of the back story in Book 3 is so poetic, but the overall feel and spirit of this movie was terrific. 4: I really, really liked this one and thought it came together quite well. Also, you should watch this YouTube video, which is the funniest trailer mashup I have ever seen: <a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9D0veHTxh0" rel="nofollow">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9D0veHTxh0</a> 5: Didn't really like it, but then I didn't like the book either. 6: My favorite. FI and I saw it three times in the theaters. All of the stuff with the kids falling in love is hysterical - watch especially for Alan Rickman in the background, who does lots of funny things.
    Posted by sarah0725[/QUOTE]

Disagree times a million. I hate him for the direction he took Dumbledore in (not that ANYONE could top Richard Harris) and what he did to dementors and poor, poor Lupin. Saddest bloody werewolf I've ever seen.

And I also disagree about the Chris Columbus movies. The first two were well done (I'll just gloss over two because it's the weakest book of the lot so it's not important) I think. The first movie they were eleven and the book (maybe it's transcended that today) <span style="font-style:italic;">was </span>aimed at children and the film reflected that. I don't think you can say it was too childish when they were eleven year olds and it was aimed at said age group. That's a bit ridiculous to me :p Added to the fact that the first two were the most closely correlated to the books of all the movies thus far, I don't see the issue with them. Yes they're "childish" but so are the books and he was the most faithful to the text of all the directors, IMO.

The series is set up to show little "events" and "fights" that you don't, at first, know are going to all be interrelated and lead up to dark times and all that so I think it's perfect that there was "resolution" and cathartic happy scenes at the ends of the first few; that's in keeping with the original text, in my mind.

But that's just my I-spend-a-lot-of-time-thinking-about-this-stuff opinion. Don't mind me ;)
  • So much I could say...

I love the books and the movies separately and equally. I have come to love the movie characters in my mind as the true characters and I picture them in the books.

I don't understand how people watch the movies w/o the books either. Watching them w/ my H is taxing because I have to explain a lot. Luckily, he sits through the first screening quietly, so I can watch it, and then I explain stuff later. 

I will be taking Kleenex to DH. I lost my shiit at the end of HBP, not gonna lie. I don't geek out about anything else, so I usually SUPER geek out about HP, not that that's a huge secret.

I hate having to wait so long between DH 1 & 2, but the anticipation will be so sweet.

I would have had no problem sitting through five hour movies. They need to bring intermissions back for sure.

I could talk about this all day...
  • I hate, hate, double triple quadruple hate, how weak they made Dumbledore look in the later movies. Seriously.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards