Wedding Reception Forum

Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces

My friend used betta fish at her wedding and it was a huge hit, however she can't give me advice on the work done before hand because she hired a company to do her centerpieces.  I am doing a lot of the wedding things myself and was wondering if anyone who had done this had any advice....

That being said, I have searched and most of what I have found is the debate on whether or not people should use fish as decoration, etc, but really, aren't most fish decorations? ... what is wrong so different about having a fish on a table than say on a desk in an office?  You're welcome to have your opinon but I am really looking for people who have done this, and how it worked out.  I have enough people attending the wedding that are interested in taking the fish home, I am not using candles anywhere near them, and I will be using bottled water for the bowls. 

So please, if you used betta fish, tell me what worked and what did not...

Thank you

Re: Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces

• The only wedding I ever attended with fish as props ended with a bunch of dead fish in the middle of the tables.  It was sooo Klassy.
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    You have a fish on your desk.  Everyday you come in and feed, talk to it, look lovingly at it.  You even name him. You become upset when he gets sick or dies.  He is your pet.

You have a fish on your tables for your wedding.  You don't care about them, only that they match your theme.  You don't name them.  You don't feed them.  You don't care about them after the wedding.  One dies at the reception?  You shrug and keep doing the electric slide. They are props.

You are not finding anything except the debate because using live animals as props is wrong. 

You should skip the fish and have puppies or kittens or even salamanders.  Would you do that?  Then why would you torture a fish?

You will not find pro-fish torture advice here.  It is not condoned.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • QueerFemmeQueerFemme member
    First Anniversary First Answer 5 Love Its First Comment
    edited May 2013
    In Response to Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces:
    [QUOTE]My friend used betta fish at her wedding and it was a huge hit, however she can't give me advice on the work done before hand because she hired a company to do her centerpieces.  I am doing a lot of the wedding things myself and was wondering if anyone who had done this had any advice.... That being said, I have searched and most of what I have found is the debate on whether or not people should use fish as decoration, etc, but really, aren't most fish decorations? ... what is wrong so different about having a fish on a table than say on a desk in an office?  You're welcome to have your opinon but I am really looking for people who have done this, and how it worked out.  I have enough people attending the wedding that are interested in taking the fish home, I am not using candles anywhere near them, and I will be using bottled water for the bowls.  So please, if you used betta fish, tell me what worked and what did not... Thank you
    Posted by Hmgavin[/QUOTE]

Don't do this.  Live animals should not be used as props.    In addition to the fact that its horrible to do this to the fish and totally stresses the fish out,  it's really gross.  Do you want your guests sitting with a centerpiece with dead fish and fish poop floating around? 

This is quite possibly the tackiest centerpiece ever.

ETA:  By the way, my niece did this at her wedding (I don't speak to that side of the family, so I had no idea this was happening, or I would have talked her out of it.). According to a family member that attended, she had over 20 centerpieces. By the end of the reception, there was ony one left alive.

• daria24daria24 member
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer
    We used fish centerpieces at my prom. All except one died before the dance even started. So much fish death. 

OP-what will you do with the fish once your wedding is over? I'm not a huge animal defender but it would be wrong to use fish as your centerpieces and just toss them when you are done with them. 

Just say no to live animals as decorations. 
  • I got my (sadly departed) pet Beta fish from a wedding. I still think it was totally weird that they had fish for centrepieces.
  • Screw fish.  Use kittens.  
  • I'm almost completely ambivalent about the moral issues, but I just think fish centerpieces are about as classy as an ice sculpture of The David that p*sses mojitos.
  • For the love of all that is holy, noooooooooooooooooo!
    What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • In Response to Re: Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces:
    [QUOTE]Screw fish.  Use kittens.  
    Posted by MyNameIsNot[/QUOTE]
    Rabbits!  In a cardboard box!  And then make your wedding Alice in Wonderland themed!  Best idea ever !!11!1!!!!1!

[QUOTE]I'm almost completely ambivalent about the moral issues, but I just think fish centerpieces are about as classy as an ice sculpture of The David that p*sses mojitos.
    Posted by NOLAbridealmost[/QUOTE]

And just in time for my meeting with my venue tonight, you'd helped me decide on an ice sculpture! Hooray!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    140 invited -- 118 are ready to party! -- 27 can't make it

[QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces : Rabbits!  In a cardboard box!  And then make your wedding Alice in Wonderland themed!  Best idea ever !!11!1!!!!1!
    Posted by Viczaesar[/QUOTE]

Heck why not use puppies and then they can double as favors a la the move Bridesmaids!  Just stick a gold star under one of guests plates and the person sitting at that place setting gets the puppy!

• You should consider serving sushi.  Make dead fish your whole theme.  YAY sushi.
  • I hate this idea. I haven't seen someone do this since college, and like a PP said, people were doing cruel things like swallowing them and mixing them together to fight.

Fish are animals, not decorations. With all the possibilities for centerpieces, why do something so cruel? 

I echo the concerns about what happens to the ones that actually live through the night? Do you just throw them out with the table scraps? 
  • In Response to Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces:
    [QUOTE]My friend used betta fish at her wedding and it was a huge hit, however she can't give me advice on the work done before hand because she hired a company to do her centerpieces.  I am doing a lot of the wedding things myself and was wondering if anyone who had done this had any advice.... That being said, I have searched and most of what I have found is the debate on whether or not people should use fish as decoration, etc, but really, aren't most fish decorations? ... what is wrong so different about having a fish on a table than say on a desk in an office?  You're welcome to have your opinon but I am really looking for people who have done this, and how it worked out.  I have enough people attending the wedding that are interested in taking the fish home, I am not using candles anywhere near them, and I will be using bottled water for the bowls.  So please, if you used betta fish, tell me what worked and what did not... Thank you

that's an asinine question

[QUOTE]Also, people who keep fish in a bowl on their desk aren't really much better than those that use them for centerpieces, since all fish, including Bettas, need far more than a bowl of water to live happy, healthy existences.   http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=20058 I cannot stand people who think just because an animal isn't furry and cuddly, the value of its life is somehow less.  
    Posted by StageManager14[/QUOTE]

This, this, this.

Sorry I can't help, OP. But please don't assume every single one of your guests will be into this (regardless of the fact that people are willing to take them home, which is a separate issue).

Many brides worry about whether their guests will have a good time at their reception - I definitely do! - and if I were you, I would focus on having great food, great music, and plenty of alcohol (if you're choosing to serve alcohol). I wouldn't want to spend my wedding reception worrying about my centerpieces dying or whether some of my guests will be horrified at my ethics.
    Anniversary
  • Thank you to those who have actually experienced a wedding with fish there. To answer again the people who asked about what happens after, I already have enough people who want them after to keep as a pet. I really don't get why people think it's so terrible to the fish...have you seen what they are kept in at stores??? I think a large vase w a peace lily in it is much more animal friendly then a 6 oz plastic cup.
  • vsgalvsgal member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper First Comment
    In Response to Re:Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces:
    [QUOTE]Thank you to those who have actually experienced a wedding with fish there. To answer again the people who asked about what happens after, I already have enough people who want them after to keep as a pet. I really don't get why people think it's so terrible to the fish...have you seen what they are kept in at stores??? I think a large vase w a peace lily in it is much more animal friendly then a 6 oz plastic cup.

I really don't get how people can devalue life for a 4 hour party.  It is disgusting.

Sure people say they want the fish.  That doesn't mean they actually get taken.  What is your gameplan when you have 15 fish at the end of the night?  Are you going to call people and tell them to come get their fish?

Just because the pet store keeps them in a tiny tank doesn't make it ok for you to torture them.  They also keep cats in a small cage.  You would not do that once you got fluffly kitty home.  The fact is they don't like small spaces.  It is cruel to keep them in a small tank.  Imagine if you only had a space that was slightly bigger than you to live in forever? 

You need to do the research.  It is bad for the fish on so many levels.  They stress from the noise.  The water is to cold.  People mess with them.  Did you even read the article that someone posted about how to take care of fish?

Obviously, you have no respect for a living creature.  I really hope you don't have pets.
    ROCK IS KING!!
  • What they are kept in at stores sucks.

DId you miss all the posts that said they died by the end of the night, or even before dancing started?

Even if you ignore the moral issue of using living creatures as decoration then discarding them, they will likely poop or die or both by dinnertime. I wouldn't want my guests eating with death and poop on their table.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    [QUOTE]In Response to Re: Advice from People who Have used Bettas as Centerpieces : Rabbits!  In a cardboard box!  And then make your wedding Alice in Wonderland themed!  Best idea ever !!11!1!!!!1!
    Posted by Viczaesar[/QUOTE]
     Oh I'm so sad that this is not fiction. Remember that crazy well.
  • I still say she should serve sushi.  The theme of "dead fish" is way underdone.
  • Bunni, you aren't saying someone actually used rabbits as centerpieces???  Like at tables?  I thought that was a joke...Please tell me that was a joke...
  • Hmgavin said:
    Thank you to those who have actually experienced a wedding with fish there. To answer again the people who asked about what happens after, I already have enough people who want them after to keep as a pet. I really don't get why people think it's so terrible to the fish...have you seen what they are kept in at stores??? I think a large vase w a peace lily in it is much more animal friendly then a 6 oz plastic cup.

The way they keep them in the stores is horrible, and tons of them die, you just don't see the dead ones floating around on the store shelves. 

I hope all of your guests that have committed to taking them home have pre-planned a proper habitat for them.  And, don't mind fish poop and dead fish at their dinner table. 

• OP, are you going to PH balance the water in each centerpeice before  shoving the fish in?  Are you going to make sure the temperature transition between the two aren't going to shock and kill them?  (like any other animal?)

Are you going to ensure people don't dump wine in their bowls?  Are you going to make sure they don't die of stress while being transported around in small containters that they shouldn't be kept in in the first place? 

Are you going to make sure your guests don't try to fight them for funsies?  Are you going to make sure all the surviving fish are re-homed, or are you going to toss them?

If not, then you are just being cruel.  And worse, cruel out of laziness, and out of disinterest in the wellfare of another living being.  It takes a hard heart to purposefully inflict suffering for such shallow reasons.  Way to bless your wedding.  With cruelty and death.

Don't make me mobilize OffensiveKitten

Anniversary

• missfrodo said:
    Bunni, you aren't saying someone actually used rabbits as centerpieces???  Like at tables?  I thought that was a joke...Please tell me that was a joke...
    That was real life!

Okay, so I don't know if she went through with it or not, but there really was a poster that came on here to ask something asinine, like what kind of box would be good to put a white rabbit in, for her centerpieces at an alice in wonderland themed wedding. May have been MUD, but it was very much like this thread.
  • Hmgavin said:
    Thank you to those who have actually experienced a wedding with fish there. To answer again the people who asked about what happens after, I already have enough people who want them after to keep as a pet. I really don't get why people think it's so terrible to the fish...have you seen what they are kept in at stores??? I think a large vase w a peace lily in it is much more animal friendly then a 6 oz plastic cup.
    Did you miss the part where those that have seen it said most of them were dead? 

This is an awful idea.  Please use common sense (or at least listen to everyone else here!) and don't do it.
  • bunni727 said:
    missfrodo said:
    Bunni, you aren't saying someone actually used rabbits as centerpieces???  Like at tables?  I thought that was a joke...Please tell me that was a joke...
    That was real life!

Okay, so I don't know if she went through with it or not, but there really was a poster that came on here to ask something asinine, like what kind of box would be good to put a white rabbit in, for her centerpieces at an alice in wonderland themed wedding. May have been MUD, but it was very much like this thread.
    I hope they pooped in her entree and ate everyone's salads.  
  • Hmgavin, I worked in two different pet stores in college and law school to help pay for my education.  I worked in a big box store that makes me cringe to think about and a small place that was way ahead of its time in animal care, interaction, and so on.

I remember a bride coming in to buy over 100 bettas to use in her wedding centerpieces. We didn't have that many, but I flat-out refused to sell them to her. In my eyes (and clearly many other people who replied) and my boss', there is no difference between the value of life in a kitten or a fish. While I will give you props for thinking outside of the box in terms of just flowers on the table (which is also a classic and beautiful option!) and wanting to do something different, the truth is is that although betta are fairly hardy, they won't be hardy enough for your reception. The noise level (people talking, never mind if you have a DJ!) and moving from the store, to your house (or wherever they will be kept until the wedding) to the venue is going to stress them out beyond all belief. On top of that, that need proper PH levels, proper diet and habitat, etc.

Bottled water won't work. The water used in fish tanks and betta habitats is treated to remove chlorine and other chemicals and help ensure the correct PH balance. I'm not sure what your friend's vendor did, but as a DIY effort, it's probably not going to end well and dead fish at your wedding...yikes :-/ That never looks good no matter where you are.

Have you considered using those things that look like real fish swimming around but they're not real? I don't know what they're called, but they're cute, whimsical, ethically-friendly, possibly budget friendly (I bet you could find something on Pinterest and could DIY it!).

I hope this was some help. Basically, I think you're 98% likely to end up with dead fish, freaked-out guests (and ones who don't agree with you), and you'll have spent money on something that...died at your reception. :-/
  • edited May 2013
    Even if the fish survived the reception, how would guests take them home? Do they need to use a net to catch them, one by one, and put them in little baggies filled with water? That's not easy to do. What a disaster.

Weddings are so stressful, why would you add this to your to-do list?

Anniversary

• Some of the people on here are so rude. I plan to use fish as my centerpieces. However I plan to use goldfish and keep them as pets both before and after my wedding. And luckily some of my nephews and other children i know insist on taking some home with them. I have researched the safest ways, so I don't frighten them. I learned that it is best to keep them for an extended amount of time in the same container as you'll be using on the tables. Also using the same pebbles, flowers, etc so they are easily acclimated. Used drinking water at room temperature, so they are not shocked by the water temp. DO NOT use any floating candles, they will suffocate. And using anything on top of the water that will prevent them from surfacing will hurt them. I hope this was helpful. I do agree that the fish should not be used just for decoration, that they should become someone's pets. However, I do not agree that using a pet as something to make your day unique is torture for the animal. Especially when you take every precaution to make sure that they are safe and comfortable and will live happy lives in someone's home.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards