Registry and Gift Forum

When is the best time to register?

We actually have a fully supplied home and prefer that our guests not bring any gifts, but after having read some of the threads, I see it may be better to give some guests an option. (I must say it makes me so uncomfortable registering for gifts...feels kind of greedy, even though I know it isn't). I've decided to just make the registery and include my actual "wish list" items...things that I will eventually get for us anyway as the need and/or finances allow. 

Our wedding isn't until June 21, 2014...despite the ticker, we had to push back the date and I can't seem to get that bugger updated LOL. ANYWAY, I guess I'm actually asking when will be the best time to mention the registery? Should I just wait until someone asks about it? When would be the best time to add it to our wedding website?

~*~June 21, 2014~*~

Re: When is the best time to register?

• I'm doing an amazon registry, so it's taking a long time to look through reviews. I'd say 6ish months, incase someone throws you a surprise shower or something. 

If you were to register now it would be a waste of time since many things would e discontinued by then. 
  • We knocked ours out of the way at 8-9 months, because planning hadn't picked up full speed yet.  I'm glad we did it that way, because the last couple months of planning have been crazy. 

Are you having a shower?  If you are, and know roughly when it is, you should have your registry set before the shower invites go out.  Or, if you're not having a shower (or if it's close to the wedding), have the registry set before the wedding invites go out.  Basically, as long as you've done it before any types of invites go out, you should be good.

We put ours on the website too, but not right away.  We wanted to give it some time, and really make sure we were happy with our list before we opened it up to our guests.  We were always adding and deleting items until we were happy with it.  Once we were at that stage, we put the link on our website.  We were about 4-4.5 months away from the wedding when that happened. 
  • Register 6 months ahead and then keep your eye on it in case thignsyu selected get discontinued.
  • In Response to When is the best time to register?:
    [QUOTE]We actually have a fully supplied home and prefer that our guests not bring any gifts, but after having read some of the threads, I see it may be better to give some guests an option. (I must say it makes me so uncomfortable registering for gifts...feels kind of greedy, even though I know it isn't). I've decided to just make the registery and include my actual "wish list" items...things that I will eventually get for us anyway as the need and/or finances allow.  Our wedding isn't until June 21, 2014...despite the ticker, we had to push back the date and I can't seem to get that bugger updated LOL. ANYWAY, I guess I'm actually asking when will be the best time to mention the registery? Should I just wait until someone asks about it? When would be the best time to add it to our wedding website?
    Posted by CheleLyn[/QUOTE]

You should never mention the registry unless someone asks you about it.  I think you can add it to your wedding website at any time, but it's best to put it in a discreet place (like an "Additional Details" tab, rather than on the home page. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickersFollow Me on Pinterest
  • Thanks, girls :)

Whenever I do get it done, I'll just let FMIL know so she can field it from her family.

~*~June 21, 2014~*~

• hoffsehoffse member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    We registered 13 months out, had one thing get discontinued, and added a few seasonal items at around the 3 month mark.  We registered early because I was graduating from law school, and some family friends wanted to buy me home items as a graduation gift.  If you don't have a big gift-giving thing like that coming up, then I would wait until 6-8 months out.  You can start researching now, though, and find brands, stores, etc. that you like.  We spent far more time actually researching products than registering for them.  It paid off too.  We received some fabulous things, and so far they have all worked great.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards