Maine
Options

no idea what food budget should be for 80 people

Hi all, this maywell  be in the wrong place...so if it, mods please g 'head and move it...I am asking what sort of food budget would be reasonable with about 80 people for guests? I want to do a desserts/appetizers evening wedding. the local caterer has ball parked a figure of 2000 bucks. What's reasonable? I really have no idea, I had only my parents, siblings and 1 inlaw at my first wedding. Any help, experience or ideas of what can be fed to that many people without spending two thousand freaking dollars, please post.
Thanks!
"Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA. Lois, this is not my Batman glass."

Re: no idea what food budget should be for 80 people

• Options
    edited December 2011
    I would suggest shopping around. Check with some other caterers to see what they would charge for the same thing. It doesn't sound ridiculously high, but for just apps and desserts, I bet you could get it cheaper. It also depends on what you're serving. You could also ask that caterer what he/she would suggest as alternatives to bring the price down.

Good luck!
    Anniversary
  • Options
    dawnarulesdawnarules member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I also think you should shop around - but that's only $20 something dollars per person which sounds really reasonable.  But what struck me about your post that sounds a little off (and please don't take offense - do whatever it is that you want as it's your day!) is the combo of an evening wedding with just apps/dessert.  I've only been to three evening weddings but they all included a full meal and so that's what people might expect.  Just something to think about.
  • Options
    budvar1012budvar1012 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the advice! :-)
    We're having an evening wedding after dinner hours, so that's why we've got only desserts and appetizers on the menu. We figure we can have a variety of foods and not go mental with the budget like we would be in we fed them actual dinners, etc..
    It's an island, so I guess the best thing to do is talk with the caterer about what we can get for X amount of dollars out of the things she suggested. ha, not many other caterers 14 miles out to sea...
    The only alternative is a potluck wedding, which I feel two ways about personally. They're fun and I don't see anything wrong with them and since the inviates aren't done yet, we still have time to change the wording and the time, if n$$d be.
    "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, WHOA. Lois, this is not my Batman glass."
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards