Getting in Shape
Options

Post-race!!

Hi ladies!!  I made it!!!!!!!

So the good news first, I finished in 1:52:41, or 8:36 pace, which I am THRILLED with.  I felt completely amazing and accomplished and don't have a ton of body ailments to complain about.  I was just happy I finished before the winner of the marathon got done, haha!!

Bad news, I waited and waited and waited at the spot FI had agreed to meet and he didn't show.  Finally 2 hours later I found him in the medical tent, completely delirious and heat stroke-ish.  Apparently in his confusion he wandered off course and somehow ended up in a parking garage at one point??  He managed to finish the race then was wheeled to emergency to be stabilized.  Long story short he's home now, but still a little out of it and can't keep any fluids down.  I'm worried about him, but am hoping that air conditioning (it was HOT on the course today), slow rehydration, and some rest will help.  But if anyone has other advice I'd certainly listen.

Not to sound selfish, but getting back to my race, I'm SO SO appreciative for all the love, support, and well wishes from this board.  I NEVER thought I could do a half but feel so proud and accomplished now that it's done.  I definitely see a few more in my future (but maybe not FI!!).  Thanks and enjoy your sunday everyone!!

Re: Post-race!!

• Options
    Lobsters25Lobsters25 member
    5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited May 2013
    Congratulations on the major butt kicking, choagie!  Keep us posted on H - hope that he feels better and is back to normal soon!

edit: whoops...FI...soon to be H! :)
    Anniversary
  • Options
    I would think maybe not so much with the ice bath- just on the principle that when you are hypothermic, you are not supposed to go take a hot shower, you slowly rewarm to not shock the system.  I would think the same in this case.  I would stick with ac, cold cloths, etc.  Just a thought.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker image

MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

• Options
    thanks for the input ladies.  in the medical tent they gave him an ice bath to get his core temp down because he was way too hot and his BP was really low.  then he shivered and teeth chattered for the next few hours.  i had him take a lukewarm shower to try to get him back to baseline.  he's resting now and i'm running (well, actually walking, my car is parked in by his truck which is stick shift and i can't drive it) to cvs to get some pedialyte and juice to see if that helps!

@kwitherington - yeah, i can see getting stuck in a cycle where ppl on this board keep inspiring more and more halfs to be registered for, haha! 
  • Options
    Congrats! Your time was awesome!!!

Keep us posted on FI - no shocks to his system. Gatorade should help with the rehydration too.

And don't forget to take care of you too - you just ran a HALF!!! :-D
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Awesome pace!  Congrats on an amazing race!

I hope your FI is feeling better soon.  Sending healing vibes his way.
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    Congratulations! You are such an inspiration and you should feel very proud.

I hope your FI feels better soon. I would recommend pedialyte and/or coconut water to rehydrate.
  • Options
    You are amazing Choagie! I hope your FI is feeling better!
  • Options
    Thanks again to everyone!!  I'm so unbelievably happy with my race and am feeling surprisingly decent the next day.  My feet are a little tired and my back is a tiny bit stiff, but I think that's more from the stress and standing around trying to find my FI for 2 hours after the race.  Needless to say I see another half in my future.  P.S. - I got a notice that I finished top 17% for the race as a whole, and top 9% for all women (84th out of about 900!), and 9% for my age bracket.  I was super excited!

And FI is feeling MUCH better.  I think pedialyte was the turning point, he was actually able to keep it down and he's much improved.  Thank goodness, it was actually really really scary.  He was delirious and nearly unconscious when I found him in the medical tent.  Don't want to have that experience again!!
  • Options
    Thanks again to everyone!!  I'm so unbelievably happy with my race and am feeling surprisingly decent the next day.  My feet are a little tired and my back is a tiny bit stiff, but I think that's more from the stress and standing around trying to find my FI for 2 hours after the race.  Needless to say I see another half in my future.  P.S. - I got a notice that I finished top 17% for the race as a whole, and top 9% for all women (84th out of about 900!), and 9% for my age bracket.  I was super excited!

And FI is feeling MUCH better.  I think pedialyte was the turning point, he was actually able to keep it down and he's much improved.  Thank goodness, it was actually really really scary.  He was delirious and nearly unconscious when I found him in the medical tent.  Don't want to have that experience again!!
  • Options
    sorry for the double post, weird...
  • Options
    Late to the party - just wanted to say congrats, choagie!! It sounds like you had an amazing race, you should be very proud!

Sorry to hear about your FI but I'm glad he's feeling better now and able to keep food down - heat stroke is pretty scary.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards