Outdoor Weddings

Officiant for outdoor wedding

Hey ladies; my Fiancé and I have decided on hosting our ceremony in the same location as our reception (my parents backyard). This was a difficult decision not to get married in the Catholic Church, but for various reasons we've decided otherwise. This being the case, we don't want a quick 15 minute ceremony where everyone looses site of the purpose because their focused on the reception. I would still like to have readings, prayer, etc. but am unsure as to what type of officiant can do this. Any suggestions?

Re: Officiant for outdoor wedding

• We used a former Catholic priest for our outdoor wedding.    We found him from one of the local Catholic churches (our wedding was OOT).   It is NOT recognized by the church, but it did make our parents feel better.  We still did a couple of readings and prayers.

I hate not knowing where everyone is from.  We got married in NJ.  He travels around the DE/PA/NJ area if you happened to be in that area.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Is denomination an issue?

We had our (Methodist) preacher perform our ceremony with prayers and readings. Any preacher (from a doctrine that accepts outdoor weddings, anyway) should be able, but their willingness to do so is up to them. You could also ask a family member or friend whose faith you respect to become ordained, and create a ceremony together.

Please be cognizant of your phrasing. Wanting a longer ceremony is fine, but please do not insinuate that shorter ceremonies are any less meaningful. Ours was about 20 minutes, and I don't think anyone lost sight of the purpose.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • bunni727 said:
    Is denomination an issue?

We had our (Methodist) preacher perform our ceremony with prayers and readings. Any preacher (from a doctrine that accepts outdoor weddings, anyway) should be able, but their willingness to do so is up to them. You could also ask a family member or friend whose faith you respect to become ordained, and create a ceremony together.

Please be cognizant of your phrasing. Wanting a longer ceremony is fine, but please do not insinuate that shorter ceremonies are any less meaningful. Ours was about 20 minutes, and I don't think anyone lost sight of the purpose.
    Catholics can not generally get married outdoors.  There are few exceptions but IME those couple have strong ties to the bishop or cardinals.  They are the ones who can grant permission for an outside ceremony.    Its more complicated than just saying your vows.

What differentiates an average host and a great host is anticipating unexpressed needs and wants of their guests.  Just because the want/need is not expressed, doesn't mean it wouldn't be appreciated. 
  • Oh, I'm sorry @lyndausvi. I knew that, but my phrasing was lousy.

Since they have decided not to get married in the Catholic Church (and since it was capitalized I took it to mean the Church itself, rather than the physical building, but I may be wrong), I was more asking if this couple wanted a specific type of religious ceremony, or if any denomination of officiant would be okay with them. Trying to narrow the focus a little bit for them, from "Who can do this for us?" to "Who do we want to ask to do this?" If that makes sense.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards