Wedding Cakes & Food Forum
Options

Cakes! $$$$$

I was initially thinking of just doing a plain white butter cream cake and having my florist decorate it with real roses.  I just can't justify spending crazy amounts of money on a cake.  I mean, it's just a cake, right?  Then, FI and I met with a baker that specializes in wedding cakes. Of course, I saw all the cute wedding cakes in their portfolio that would be just PERfect for my fall wedding: 

(with fall embellishments instead of beach...think leaves instead of shells and branches going up the sides)

I was so into the idea of a cute cake, which of course requires fondant covering, detailed decorative work, etc....

Then we got the estimate.  Over a thousand dollars for a cake to serve 140 people (including the top tier).  What?  I did my homework and found out that the rate they were charging us ($6.50 plus tax and delivery charge) is about right for a cake like that.  Going to another baker won't make a difference, and going the sheet cake route supposedly won't save us as much money as we might think.

*Sigh*  Before I sell my soul to the gods of boring wedding cakes, does anyone have any suggestions for fall designs that wouldn't cost a lot of money (or even could be done by my florist?)  I'd hate to spend more than 5 dollars a slice.  Even this much seems expensive to me, but I'm trying to be realistic.  Thanks!
Wedding Countdown Ticker
173 Invites are in the mail! image
58 are ready to party! image
32 are missing out. image
83 are nowhere to be found. image
RSVP date is November 1.

Re: Cakes! $$$$$

• Options
    tldhtldh member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    My baker is actually able to do draping with buttercream.  A good baker can at the very least get buttercream as smooth as fondant. We're using deep red roses from the florist as accents and as a topper.  You can add in any fall flower or rose with a fall color.  If you like the seashell cake, use real seashells.

Personally, I don't care how cute a cake is.  Fondant tastes like garbage (or the caterer pulls if off before serving) so why pay the insane extra money for it?
    AKA GoodLuckBear14
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    I think flowers are still a great way to go.
  • Options
    pulga131pulga131 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I dont know what area you live in, but maybe try some more research on bakers or post on local boards.  Where I live, while most people charge about $6 a slice you can find people that do it for $2-3.  There is also finding someone who makes cakes for a hobby and can make you a very nice wedding cake for way cheaper than a baker.  If you want a nice wedding cake, I wouldn't settle just yet.  $1000 is ridiculous- I agree, but keep looking
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    KilleenBrideKilleenBride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    check on craigslist.com and look for your area and thier are alot of people on there that do cakes. or you can just go to walmart and tell them you want a plain 3tier cake in what ever shape you want and then get some flowers or ribbon and decorate it yourself. it will be alot cheaper.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    For the beach cake, I had been hoping to borrow the concept but have them design something autumnal for me, involving fall leaves (I'm using this as a decorative theme at my reception).  I'm not sure real leaves would work though, which is why flowers are the next best thing.  Anyone have "leafy" ideas?  I got so hooked on that idea!
    Wedding Countdown Ticker
    173 Invites are in the mail! image
    58 are ready to party! image
    32 are missing out. image
    83 are nowhere to be found. image
    RSVP date is November 1.
  • Options
    adrianzbrideadrianzbride member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    When I was little my mom and I dipped colorful leaves in paraffin to make them last longer.  You could experiment with that and see if they would work as decoration.  Or use silk fall leaves maybe.  Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you thought of having a fake display cake and using sheet cakes in back for the guests? (I don't know if that is what you meant by sheet cakes wont save us much)
    The Bakery we picked gives us 20% off for each fake layer..  But I have also seen Brides on the Cakes and DIY boards make the cake themselves. Might be something to think about
    HTH
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Our cake is going to be around $8 a slice, to feed around 185.   I'm probably not the best one on here to talk you out of an expensive cake.  Haha.

We wanted the cake to be one of the "*gasp*" moments when everyone walks into the reception AND to taste delicious, so we went with a very, very well known pastry chef.   Everything about a wedding can't be "WOW - look at that," but the cake can!

While I know you'll get lots of advice on why NOT to spend that much on the cake - I'll just point out that at least people will remember the cake, and get to eat it.  People spend a lot more on flowers and those die and most people will have no memory of what kind you had.   If it is comfortably affordable, do it.  Get the dream cake.  Just a thought!

Good luck on whatever you decide and congratulations!
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The price of cake is based on your area.  Each town is differenct.

All the pictures you posted can be done in buttercream.  You DO NOT HAVE to have fondant.  As for the taste of fondant - it totally depends on the brand your bakery uses.  Ask to try some next time you are there.

Sheet cakes only reduce the overall cost a small amount.  I know someone that has a bakery that charges $2.50/serving for buttercream cakes and $1.75/serving for an undecorated sheet cake.  Not that much of a savings.

As for display cakes.  It is not true that a display cake and sheet cakes used for serving only is cheaper than a wedding cake.  For example:
    Let's say you need 100 servings.
    100 x $2.50 (price/serving) = $250.00  Price for a wedding cake

100 x $1.75 (price/serving for faux cake) = $175.00
    100 x $1.75 (price/serving for sheet cakes) = $175.00
    $175.00 (price for faux cake) + $175.00 (price for sheet cake) = $350.00

For the leaves, you could buy silk ones at a craft store.
  • Options
    melissamc2melissamc2 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Mine is buttercream, so it's not always cheaper! 
    10-10-10
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Have you looked at Publix? I know its a grocery store but their cakes are amazing. I just ordered a 3 tier buttercream that fees around 50 for 270.00 in Orlando, FL. They have some pretty designs if you go to their website. I would of loved to have a beautiful cake like the ones you posted but I'm on a really tight budget. I plan on buying some silk flowers for the cake and adding those. If you have a really creative friend maybe they could help you with adding some personal touches.
    Good Luck :)

• Options
    meltreymeltrey member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    I went w/ THE Wedding Cake Baker in town that makes absolutely gorgeous artistic cakes. I tried a small version to feed 145 at my daughter's shower. yes, the cake was stunning, but the fondant all over it tasted so gross. I changed my mind and will be going for buttercream at her wedding. I want a GREAT tasting cake over an artistic piece that tastes like crap.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You should look in Publix. Their cakes taste amazing and are afordable (a friend of mine paid around $275 for a cake that feeds 50). I don't know how many guests you are having but it's worth looking into.
    September 2011 November Siggy Challenge: First Dance Photo (I still haven't uploaded all of my wedding pictures, so here's a picture of what happens when you mix me, my bridesmaids, a man who hates to dance, and an open bar). imageimage

101 in 1001
  • Options
    GribblesGribbles member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Speak to your florist and see if they have any flowers in fall colours. Or maybe use pretty orange leaves on the cake instead of flowers?
    www.mywedding.com/benandpetra
  • Options
    MesmrEweMesmrEwe member
    First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited December 2011
    I would do some additional checking around with bakers using those designs for inspiration.  You never know you might have only talked with the most expensive baker in the region.  It's worth doing some checking around because you never know you may end up with bakers who include delivery/setup into their base price instead of being an add-on...  You've got to decide what will work best for you of course.
  • Options
    laurenbergherlaurenbergher member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Definitely go with buttercream.  It's less labor intensive, and of course it tastes better.  A fondant covered cake take slonger, so not only does the fondant taste terrible, the cake is dried out!  I personally love flowers on cakes.  For a twist, get edible lilies or roses, and dip them in egg whites and sugar.  They sparkle in photos, and you can eat them as a bonus (they actually taste pretty good).
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards