New Jersey
Options

Sharing: Modern/Non Traditional Wedding Reception Locations

Hello all,

I'm brand new to the board and planning my NJ wedding from Washington, D.C.  I hope to share and receive a lot of help from you guys!  This board seems knowledgeable and helpful. 

I have a goal... to have a wedding that is consistent with my and my fiance's everyday style so that we can communicate through our wedding our personality.  So I NEED a wedding reception site with as many of the following attributes as possible:  modern, open, sexy, view, trendy, appeals to a "clean" taste, non-traditional, artsy, young, hip, fun, lofty, rooftop, partly outdoors.  This is proving tough in NJ :(  Nothing is perfect yet... but I am not even expecting perfection.  Just something that's a non-hotel, manor, banquet hall, country club, etc.  It will be very interesting to see what I end up with!

Need to fit at least 150 people with a dance floor.  We are not one of those "money is of no concern" couples, but we are not looking to have a budget wedding, either.  EDIT:  Need to be able to use our own caterer.  I know the caterer I want. 

I am listing below some wedding reception options I have found that may be helpful to others looking for something similar.  But if ANYONE has ANY other suggestions, I would greatly appreciate them. 

Here is my list thus far: 

Montclair Art Museum (juuuuuust short of providing the wow factor I am looking for, but may be a winner)
Morris Museum (Morristown) (same comment as above)
Newark Museum (expensive, but may be a winner)
Hyatt Regency Jersey City (because of floor to ceiling windows  and an amazing view of NYC) (expensive and a little boring, but may be a winner)
Parlor Art Gallery Asbury Park (too small for us and too far South in NJ)

Cheers! 

Re: Sharing: Modern/Non Traditional Wedding Reception Locations

• Options
    Reilly626Reilly626 member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    http://www.stonehouseatstirlingridge.com/

Def. go check this place out- it will amaze you....and its what you describe..
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Beautiful....

But the Stone House does not allow outside catering :(

Does anyone know of any large art galleries in NJ? 
  • Options
    uppereastgirluppereastgirl member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    That's a very tall order, particularly if bringing in your own catering is a must.

There's a loft in Montclair that maybe would work?  I have no idea about their catering

Liberty Science Center?

I was also going to recommend Stone House if you're okay with using someone else's catering.

Avenue in Long Branch?  I think it is supposed to be clubby (but again, you have to use their catering).  http://www.leclubavenue.com/main.html#events

Bonnet Island Estate?

We had our reception at Hamilton Farm Golf Club in Gladstone.  The grounds and such are not modern (it is built on an old estate), but the reception is in a glass-enclosed tent, and you can do whatever you want decor-wise in there.  With a blank canvas like that, you could probably work some of your target adjectives in.   Park Avenue Club in Florham Park is also a tent set-up, so you'd be able to make it your own too.

And Dolce Basking Ridge is a hotel, but pretty modern. 

Have you thought about the city?  There are a lot more loft spaces there, and many more places that allow you to bring in food.  You're kind of looking for something very urban in the suburbs -- so there aren't all that many choices (particularly since you want your own catering, and don't want it to be a hotel, country club, or catering hall -- that's what almost every venue is).  We were looking for something untraditional too, but didn't want to get married in the city -- it isn't easy to find places though.

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Since Stirling Ridge is a restaurant with event facilities, it doesn't allow outside catering, although there may be exceptions if it's a kosher or Indian event.

What's more important to you? A modern venue? Or the ability to bring in your own caterer? You may have to make a trade-off. Unlike in other parts of the country, the overwhelming majority of spaces suitable for weddings here make you use their in-house caterer, or they have an exclusive contract with a specific off-site caterer. Women's clubs are a popular recommendation for people who want to bring their own food and things, but they don't have the look you want.

That being said, you may want to check out the South Orange Performing Arts Center's loft space.

Here are some recent threads about non-traditional sites.  A few of them may let you use outside catering; some of them won't.

http://forums.theknot.com/default.aspx?path=http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_alternative-venues-north-new-jersey

http://forums.theknot.com/default.aspx?path=http://forums.theknot.com/Sites/theknot/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_simple-wedding-venue-needed-week

Good luck!
  • Options
    edited December 2011

These are some great ideas... I am reallty appreciating this brain storming because I was running low on hope. 

The Montclair Loft looks a little dinky for lack of a better word... lol.  I may have to visit that one in person.  It just looks like lower ceilings and a someone's basement atmosphere.  I think they need to put up better pics ;)

Avenue... You're right.  It's clubby.  I don't think I could have my wedding at a club. 

A lot of these places do require in-house catering.  I did like the pics of the Park Avenue Club a lot.  They do not allow outside caterers :(

Will visit Dolce Basking Ridge. 

I would love nothing more than to have my wedding in NY, but my parents insist it is inconvenient for our guests Yell

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Sussex County Fairgrounds has a beautiful new conservatory, glass enclosed, you bring in  your rentals and caterer - only thing it will not meet on your list is the city type glamorous view it has beautiful country views though and when we saw it a couple of months ago they were in the process of doing an outdoor garden area. Good Luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!
    M-43 DOR (FSH 20 AMH 0.16, AFC 4-6) Endo stage III DH-42 (low everything)
    TTC #1 unofficially since 6/09, officially since 10/10
    6/11 RE testing,rt tube blocked with hydro, 8/11 lap surgery rt tl
    IVF#1 10/11 Estrace,450 Follistim, 15 units low-dose HCG, DHEA - cancelled (only follie growing)
    IVF#2 started stims 11/4/11 - same protocol, increase in concentration of HCG, added CoQ10, no response, cancelled on CD 12
    12/2/11 began accupuncture; Break in Dec. Next cycle anticipated in Jan.
    PAIF/SAIF Welcome
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The Avenue in long branch is what you describe & you can get married on the roof top...here is a link to my photog's photos of wedding he did there. I dunno about the outside caterer though.
    Photobucket
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    In Response to <a href="http://forums.weddings.com/Sites/Weddings/Pages/Main.aspx/local-wedding-boards_new-jersey_sharing-modernnon-traditional-wedding-reception-locations?plckFindPostKey=Cat:Local%20Wedding%20BoardsForum:90Discussion:ed20c96e-013c-45ef-b7b7-e977b233646bPost:98893c2e-fefc-4812-bbe3-970e61abd2b5">Re: Sharing: Modern/Non Traditional Wedding Reception Locations</a>:
    [QUOTE] I would love nothing more than to have my wedding in NY, but my parents insist it is inconvenient for our guests
    Posted by TravelMal3[/QUOTE]<div>
    </div><div>I hear you -- we live in the city (as do many of our friends, but not many of our family and family friends), and nixed the idea of a city wedding on convenience to guests grounds (not that Gladstone, NJ is exactly convenient to get to!!!)  And I loved showing off to our out-of-town friends and family how pretty and unlike the (unfair) NJ stereotypes it is out where I grew up :)

</div>
  • Options
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    And I'm sorry, I forgot my manners -- welcome and congratulations!  
  • Options
    Laurms15Laurms15 member
    Combo Breaker First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome and congrats.

We looked at Montclaire Art and liked it. My other suggestion was to look in NYC.

We decided to use our own caterer and we had our wedding last month at Ridgewood Woman's Club but I know that's not what you are looking for. We also loved Glenn Ridge Woman's Club but those are more old fashioned.

If you don't mind my asking which caterer are you using?
  • Options
    ccandelaccandela member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Congratulations!

Have you checked out The Newark Club?  It's got magnificent views of the city and is very metropolitan.  However, I don't believe they allow outside catering. 

Good luck :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.  I think the next step is just to make a trip to NJ to take a look at these unusual NJ wedding reception locations!  I will report back...

Have a wonderful weekend.
  • Options
    LolyalyssaLolyalyssa member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Welcome!

What about the W Hotel in Hoboken?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Try the Mezzanine in Newark

My all-time favorite palce was th4 Loews Jersey movie theater in Jersey City, but it definitley has a "shabby-chic" thing going on, which may not be your thing.

Maybe Addison Park?

Edit: Just saw the thing about your own caterer... this iwll likley nix teh Mezzanine adn Addison Park... oopsie.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What about Grounds for Sculpture? It's a bit south, though.

I was also going to suggest the loft in Montclair. I think with that location, how you plan/decorate would really make it and turn it into what you want.

Congrats and welcome! Let us know what you pick!
    image Tuffy
    RIP Little Man October 15, 1995 - June 1, 2010
  • Options
    leah2bleah2b member
    First Comment
    edited December 2011
    Liberty Science Center in jersey City, though I've heard its pretty pricey just to rent the space.
  • Options

@TravelMal3

My fiancee and I are looking for exactly the same type of venue in NJ you are describing.  What did you end up choosing, as we have looked at many of these places and are still undecided...

If anyone has additional suggestions, please recommend.  Thanks!!!

• Options
    jcg98jcg98 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    @spinheiro79 - this thread is 3 years old and none of those posters is active anymore. I suggest you start a new thread asking for recommendations on the type of venue you want, and perhaps make note of some of the suggestions that were made here. Also do a search for "TravelMal" to see if she posted about the venue she ultimately chose.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards