Not Engaged Yet

Excited and anxious!

A while back my SO asked my parents for permission to marry me. I was there when he did it because it would have been hard for him to do it otherwise because my dad is an over the road truck driver so he's only home about once a month, which is why I knew about it. After that, I have been really anxious and so has he. We've been talking to people about it but I hadn't had the ring yet. I tried on rings a few weeks ago and then, today he told me that something is being mailed to him and the proposal will happen within the next couple of weeks. He told me because he didn't want me to think he was dragging me along. However, I told him I don't want to know the exact date or how because I still want it to be kind of a surprise and special too. I'm excited though! I think because of what my friend told me that he is giving me one of his grandmother's diamonds, which makes me feel great that his family thinks so highly of me. That's better than the yellow diamond that I wanted. :-)

Re: Excited and anxious!

• Stay calm, hang out here, we'll keep you grounded! I know how you feel. Bf said he's going to propose this year and he has the center stone at the jeweler so some days I feel the same way as you, but I just enjoy the moment now with him because we'll never get it back!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

image 59 Invited
    image 36 Yes
    image 2 No
    image 21 Unknown
  • RWS2011RWS2011 member
    5 Love Its First Anniversary Name Dropper First Comment
    @Englishteacher26 - Welcome!  You should fill out the "Getting to Know You" questions in the sticky thread at the top of the board and paste it here.  To echo Buddysmom a bit, this is an exciting time, but don't let the anticipation of the proposal distract you from where you are at right now in your relationship.

• I'm going to sound like a broken record and repeat Buddysmom and RWS - yay! that's exciting but don't let it become the focus of your relationship. It's great to be excited that it's coming but don't let that take away from what is going on in your relationship right now.

• Thanks, if I start to feel overanxious, I will be like HELP on here lol.
  • RWS, I think I already filled the Getting to Know You questions out but I'll double check again.
  •  

Here's my Getting to Know You questions, RWS2011. :-)

Screen Name: Englishteacher 26

Significant Other's age: 28

What You Do: I teach Chinese kids English through the Internet, teach an online after school program in California and coordinate homes for exchange students.

What SO Does: Fraud supervisor at a bank

State of Relationship: Engaged to be engaged ;)

How Long You've Been Together: A little over a year

How You Met: Friends introduced at Winter Jam 2012

Wedding Date: Hopefully next May ;)

Real Babies: Nope

Fur Babies: I have a cat of my own.

Loves: Jesus, reading, writing, teaching, critters

Hates: untrustworthy people, meat, animal cruelty, child abuse

Pet Peeves: Irresponsible people

Hobbies/Activities: Writing, teaching, watching movies

Favorite thing about SO: He is a hard worker, he treats me like a princess and he is on fire for the Lord.

Least Favorite thing about SO: He is allergic to cats. :(

Describe Your Personality: People tell me I'm smart, cute and funny.

Snark Level: I'm not real sure, probably low unless someone makes me angry.

I've been on TK: A couple weeks

How You Came to be on TK: My SO is going to propose to me soon so we have started discussing wedding stuff.

How I like my potatoes: Baked

Favorite Book/Author: Shakespeare, Poe and Jane Austen, of course.

• Photos of your kitty?
  • cu97tigercu97tiger member
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Love Its Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    My now-husband talked to my dad about marrying me (no permission asked, since I was, ya know, 35) in November 2011... we got engaged in July 2012. So while it's exciting, I'll reiterate that now is the perfect time to enjoy your relationship exactly how it is now.

Oh my... please don't use the term 'engaged to be engaged.'
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

•  

Here's my Getting to Know You questions, RWS2011. :-)

Screen Name: Englishteacher 26

Significant Other's age: 28

What You Do: I teach Chinese kids English through the Internet, teach an online after school program in California and coordinate homes for exchange students.

What SO Does: Fraud supervisor at a bank

State of Relationship: Engaged to be engaged ;)

How Long You've Been Together: A little over a year

How You Met: Friends introduced at Winter Jam 2012

Wedding Date: Hopefully next May ;)

Real Babies: Nope

Fur Babies: I have a cat of my own.

Loves: Jesus, reading, writing, teaching, critters

Hates: untrustworthy people, meat, animal cruelty, child abuse

Pet Peeves: Irresponsible people

Hobbies/Activities: Writing, teaching, watching movies

Favorite thing about SO: He is a hard worker, he treats me like a princess and he is on fire for the Lord.

Least Favorite thing about SO: He is allergic to cats. :(

Describe Your Personality: People tell me I'm smart, cute and funny.

Snark Level: I'm not real sure, probably low unless someone makes me angry.

I've been on TK: A couple weeks

How You Came to be on TK: My SO is going to propose to me soon so we have started discussing wedding stuff.

How I like my potatoes: Baked

Favorite Book/Author: Shakespeare, Poe and Jane Austen, of course.

"Stuart was scared, but he loved Margalo, Mommy. And there is nothing bigger than love." -The Bean
     "His farts smell like Satan's asshole mixed with a skunk's vagina. But it's okay, because I love him." -CSousa

• Lol, Bean. OP, what do you plan to do about your cat if he's allergic? Do you currently live together? I'm assuming from your post that you are vegan or vegetarian. Is he, too? I'm pescatarian and my husband isn't, so there is occasionally meat in our home, but I don't touch it.
  • bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    Ditto Tiger, please don't use the term "engaged to be engaged" - that's not a thing and it makes you sound like you are in high school.

Also, if you are really anxious it might help to not talk about wedding stuff until after you are engaged.

ETA: @beanbot2002 - that is a hilarious picture!

• I've said it a thousand times before and will say it a thousand more, but my fiance had my ring for a solid year and a half before he proposed. Don't get too excited because you may be waiting for awhile.

And yeah, please no 'engaged to be engaged'. You're dating or you're engaged -- there's not some weird in-between.

• Ditto-ing Beth on this one - talking about it makes it worse. Thinking about it makes it worse. I know it is exciting, but don't give in to the temptation to talk too freely about it because you're almost there. Circumstances can change, even with a ring in place, and you may end up waiting longer than you think. BF and I went down that road and it wasn't fun trying to fit into those patience pants again once they were off. None of this is meant to be harsh or rain on your parade; just want you to be able to enjoy each stage of life with your SO for what it is and not put either of you ahead of yourselves.
  • I love the Fall of the House of Usher by Poe and MacBeth by Shakespeare. I can't wait to someday teach them, hopefully. :-)
  • I will post some pictures of my kitty. I can't figure out how to do it in a post, lol. I used "engaged to be engaged"  because that was the term he started using even though, I tease him and tell him that "It's not official until the ring comes," which really it isn't though lol. I am a vegetarian. He isn't though but that's alright.

• We have a plan about the allergic to cats thing. He is going to an allergist and figuring out solutions. I told him it would mean the world to me to keep my cat because I can't give her up but we don't have to get another one if something happens to her.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards