October 2013 Weddings

NWR: Birth Control eye opener

So, I just had my annual exam and my doctor told me that the depo that I have been on can last up to a year in my system. WHAT!?! I thought birth control disappeared quickly - but apparently that's only the pill. So, this might put a wrench in our TTC plans. I will have to talk to FI tonight about how we are going forward.

Just a warning to those who want babies sooner rather than later!
image 209 Invited
image 151 Yes
image 46 No

Daisypath Wedding tickers 

Re: NWR: Birth Control eye opener

• I have a few friends that used to do depo and they gained a crap ton of weight on it.  Definitely a good heads up on the kids planning part.
  • @schellzinator I'm gonna keep popping my BCP over here too. FH & I are going to wait at least 2 years before we start trying for kiddos. We've talked no less than 2 years but no more than 5 before we start trying for them.
  • Weird confession? I've never been on bc. I've always been "afraid" it would "screw something up." 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers

image 293 (Adults) Invited
    image198 Yes (+ 12 children and 3 babies)
    image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• He and I both have kids from other people.  But, we're planning to try pretty quick due to our ages.  I'll be 36 when we get married, he'll be 46.  The doc says once a woman is past 35, the eggs start to break down, which is what leads to birth defects.  I always was told it's 40, but my doc said, nope, 35.  *sigh* 

I actually am okay with the idea of trying to start soon.  I've got the Mirena, and my doc says it takes at least a month for all the hormones to cycle out of my system once it's removed.  I made him go to the appointment where we talked with my doctor about potential health risks to me and the baby, and how long it would take after removal.  So, he knows.

Which is why I've kind of let him decide when he wants it removed.  He doesn't want me "super obviously knocked up" when I go down the aisle, but he also is aware it can take some time to get pregnant.  I'm personally thinking of tossing out an August removal to see what he thinks.  Sure, I might be preggers for the wedding, but not showing yet.

And, once I have kiddo, I want that Mirena right back.  I know it's not for everyone, but it sure has made me happy.
  • My doctor said that right after you stop taking the pill you have a spike in fertility so she recommends people try right away after stopping - the pill gets out of your system pretty quickly. (thats why if you miss a day, or even timing is off for the day you are supposed to use backup protection).

We are trying starting after the honeymoon in February 2014 - I definitely don't want to be pregnant for that, but I wouldn't mind getting pregnant on it. ;-)
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

• Also, with regard to the depo - I definitely did gain weight, which sucked, but I liked the peace of mind knowing that I was covered because I didn't take the pill right.
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

• We're going to wait until I am done with graduate school and/or he gets a permanent job with the National Parks Service. So approximately 2.5-4 years. We also know we're going to have to adjust a lot after being long distance for 4+ years prior to getting married and we don't want to add in kids to the mix until we are way settled.
    Us too, allison. Part of our reasoning is because we feel like we've "missed out" on actually being a couple, so that's why we're going to wait as long as we are.
  • I'm on the pill and will finish up my last pack shortly before the wedding. Hoping for a honeymoon baby, we're both 37 and have no kids so we're starting right away.
  • I think a good goal for all of us is to not get pregnant this month. By August or September, it won't matter, but this month would be filed under "visibly pregnant bride."

...Unless that was the intended goal...otherwise, maybe not the best plan.

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• I think a good goal for all of us is to not get pregnant this month. By August or September, it won't matter, but this month would be filed under "visibly pregnant bride."

No one needs to have to go re-shopping for a dress.
    Gussets aren't the way to go? Add side panels? No?

image95 No
    image0 Unknown

• We're planning to start trying in April 2014 to give us time to go on our honeymoon and such. We've been living together alone forever, so we don't have to wait to have alone time then have kids.

And I've never been on birth control and never will be. When we're finished, my fiance is getting a vasectomy like both of our fathers did.

• Yeah, I'm pushing it at 36.  I first had to acknowledge I -did- want another, come to terms with it and make sure it wasn't just my biological clock ticking down, that I wouldn't "regret" starting all over again, and THEN talk to him about it.  He was easy.  I just needed to know for myself.

We had planned on getting married sooner, but...he lost his job and was like "No way!  Not until I find a job!"  Which put everything on hold, which was okay with me, it just delayed the baby-making.

He was just insistent marriage first THEN baby.  *eye roll*  He's such a prude!  :p

We know this one will be our last one.  Mostly because he swears he'll never get to retire, he'll be raising baby.  To which I remind him that when he'll be eligible for retirement, baby will be almost 20.  

I kinda want twins.  ;)  I know, I know "Be careful what you wish for!" but...then we'd have a "2 for 1" deal.  LOL
    snippet17 said: I have always been told 35 is when eggs start breaking down and it is harder to get pregnant.  We are planning to start trying in January since I will be 32 and he will be 30.  We want about 1-2 kids.

I was thinking mumu.  Tent from "Omar's"? 

I think it'd be fun to do a recreating of Barbara Streisand in "Funny Girl" singing "I am the reflection, of my love's affection". 

I was thinking mumu.  Tent from "Omar's"? 

I think it'd be fun to do a recreating of Barbara Streisand in "Funny Girl" singing "I am the reflection, of my love's affection". 
    YES!!!
    image 209 Invited
    image 151 Yes
    image 46 No

• I'm 34 and fi is 36 we've been talking about kids for 2 years but I wanted to be married first. We plan on trying pretty quick. We really want 2 kids so I know we need to get the show on the road quickly. Talked to my doc last year about when we want to try and she said make sure to make an appt because I've had lots of issues going off the pill before, took major hormones and a procedure to fix it and then had to go back on bc to stay somewhat normal.

I always worry about not being able to get pregnant, no one on my moms side of the family has had a kid past 30 and we've got a history of super early menopause (like my mom started hot flashes at 38 an had full menopause by 42). So we'll see what happens!
  • Hannah- just an FYI, it is different for everyone. My sister was on depo, one month after she went off, she got preggers. Another friend, 6 months.

Lots and lots of condoms!

• Weird confession? I've never been on bc. I've always been "afraid" it would "screw something up." 
    @sewinlovewithdmb not weird at all.  I've never been on it and will not go on it.

I'm very anti-prescription and medication in general but more so in the last several years.  My gallbladder started failing several years ago, it took 2.5 years to diagnose because Dr's felt the symptoms were easier to treat with medication. Nothing worked so they kept upping the medication type and strength. In the end I finally had to have it removed in order to relieve the issues. 

I'm glad FI is anti-BC too.  We're investigating NFP, but that's a whole other discussion thread/board, etc.

• I've never been on BC, either.  I am 36 and we plan on trying right away after getting married.  We'd like 2, but we'll take what we can get.  I have concerns about my fertility, but mostly because I have SO MANY friends with fertility issues.  Lots of people have asked if we're going to have kids (and if they aren't family, I usually remind them we aren't quite married yet) and my response is it's not up to me, but I hope so. 

I've thought about tracking (like NFP) now to be ready.  I haven't done more than think about it, though.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards