Wedding Vows & Ceremony Discussions

Civil Ceremony VS. Symbolic Ceremony

My fiance and I are planning our wedding for February 2014 in Punta Cana.

I was wondering if anyone could give us some helpful tips on the difference between the civil ceremony and the symbolic ceremony?

We are leaning more towards the symbolic ceremony... However, I am unclear on a few things. How long does the ceremony last? Do you get to say your vows? Is the ceremony in Spanish or English? Do they pronounce you husband and wife and you get your first kiss?

Any tips or information would be great! Thank you!

Re: Civil Ceremony VS. Symbolic Ceremony

• That's the only part I understand :) I just wish  knew what words were said... Vows? First Kiss? Dedictations?
  • I don't know why you would want to do a symbolic ceremony only unless you didn't really want to be married... but then why would you be planning a wedding?
  • Being divorced, there is a lot forms from attornies that need to be obtained, then notarized and transfered into Spanish prior to us leaving. I read online that some people will obtain there marriage license from a judge in the states one day prior to leaving, then leave to go to the DR and have a symbolic wedding ceremony with family and frends. That is what we were thinking of doing.

I guess I am new to these message boards. I don't like putting all my life information out there. All I wanted to know if someone could tell me the steps of symbolic ceremony...But since you must know, there you have it!

• HobokensFuryHobokensFury member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its First Answer Name Dropper
    edited May 2013
    What you're basically saying is you want all of your guests to pay thousands to got to Punta Cana to see a fake ceremony because you don't want to get your divorce papers translated into Spanish.

ETA: You should really think about how your family and friends would feel about this. I know I wouldn't be pleased.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I would assume a symbolic ceremony is like a commitment ceremony (good for renewals or same sex unions) but I would check with that area because terms can mean different things in different countries. If you have already booked a venue see if they have a wedding cooridnator who can help you sort out the details of the different types of ceremonies they have, what's involved and the process of getting your marriage license once you get there. I had one friend who was considering getting married in the carribean but the island they picked required physical exams & blood work & she wasn't crazy about the idea of having a stranger doing that to her. So they opted for a Vegas wedding. Another friend did opt for the tropical wedding and the hotel they stayed at & got married at helped them with all of the details of the legal portion of getting married there. She was also previously married. I know there was a lot of faxing of documents and wiring of money involved.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards