Not Engaged Yet

black tie wedding?

A good friend of mine is getting married in September and it is a formal/black tie affair. 
Is it appropriate to wear a black dress? My mom has always told me that it was not proper to wear black to a wedding! I have a great black formal/cocktail dress that I would LOVE to wear, but maybe I should shop for something in a different color instead. Opinions?

Re: black tie wedding?

• I see nothing wrong with wearing a black formal/cocktail dress to a wedding.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I wouldn't side-eye it if I saw it.  
    Meddied since 6/15/13!
  • I think that's one of those rules that has fallen by the wayside. I see people in black at weddings all the time, and if it's black tie, I think it would be appropriate.
  • I've worn black dresses to many weddings before.  I don't think it's that big of a deal anymore.

Anniversary

• SwazzleSwazzle member
    First Anniversary First Answer First Comment 5 Love Its
    I wear black to every wedding I attend.

• I agree with the PPS, it's an antiquated rule that has mostly fallen away. It's perfectly acceptable to wear a black dress :)

• Ha, seems I'm the only one who side-eyes black dresses at weddings. The only caveat I'd have is if it's a black-tie wedding and you already own a formal black gown. If I was going to have to buy a new dress for the wedding, then I'd definitely pick a color other than white or black.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

"You are made of win." -SopChick
    Still here and still fabulous!

• bethsmilesbethsmiles member
    First Anniversary First Comment First Answer 5 Love Its
    edited May 2013
    @cu97tiger - I think if the MOB or MOG or another immediate family member wore black I might side-eye or question a black dress but not if it is just a guest.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards