Wedding Woes

Does he make no money at all or not enough money?

Dear Prudence,
I'm recently engaged to the most honest, thoughtful, and loving man I've ever met. He has supported me through many hard times, including losing my job and being assaulted. Here's the but about him: He makes no money. He has ambitions, and he's smart, but will likely only bring a middle-class income at best. I have an OK job and I'm self-sufficient. Now here's the but about me: I'm really, really pretty. My whole life people have told me I could get any man I want, meaning a rich man, and are shocked that I'm engaged to my fiancé, nice though he is. I’ve never dated a rich man, but it does make me curious. So part of me thinks I'm squandering my good looks on this poor man, and the other part of me thinks that I'm so shallow that I don't even deserve him or anyone else. Am I a fool for thinking that a poor man can make me happy, or an idiot for believing a sexist fantasy?

—Sincerely Shallow

Re: Does he make no money at all or not enough money?

• Hee.

At some point she is going to have to decide if being happy is worth more than being loaded. There are many women married to rich men, but are in horrible marriages. Sure, it would be great to have a rich man that is also a wonderful husband. We all can dream...

• GBCKGBCK member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    is 'not enough money' mean 'not enough money to live, we're going into debt and can't afford to eat' or "not enough money to buy a new car when I want one?"

because as evilgrandma said, you can love a rich man as easy as a poor man.
  • So, this brings up a good point: does marrying rich automatically equal having a horrible marriage, and marrying not rich automatically equal having a great marriage? Personally, I think that a rich man/woman be genuinely kind just as well as a not-so-rich man can be downright mean.

Hee.

At some point she is going to have to decide if being happy is worth more than being loaded. There are many women married to rich men, but are in horrible marriages. Sure, it would be great to have a rich man that is also a wonderful husband. We all can dream...

Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • 6fsn6fsn member
    First Anniversary 5 Love Its Name Dropper Combo Breaker
    If a rich man marries her for her looks, you better believe in a decade he'll be remarried to someone else's looks.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards