Chit Chat

Changing one's name...

It's now 3 weeks to our wedding. Ack. Post-wedding, I will be Ms. MyLastName-HisLastName. I've heard both sides: that I should start the process of changing NOW, and that I should wait until after. Help.

When my brother and sister-in-law got their wedding license in LA, she was asked what her married name would be. No dice in Arkansas. I've done a little Googling and found some online name change packages who help you to get 'er done. Is it worth it to pay for that service, or should I do it myself?

Re: Changing one's name...

• Do it yourself. It's really not that involved. You will need your signed marriage certificate to change it with most places (social security, registry etc.). The only thing you can really get a "head-start" on is paperwork at your job. Nothing can be sent in unless accompanied by the marriage certificate that states your new last name so there's not much you can do prior to marriage. I would just start it after your wedding and do one step at a time.

I started with my social security then went to the registry then to the bank. My company filled out the W2 and insurance paperwork for me. The only other place I went to change it was my car insurance. All of the othe bills I am changing as I go.

The only thing you pay for through those sites is for them to have a downloadable form to send everywhere, but you don't really need it. To me it's not worth the money.

Anniversary
  • Do not pay anyone for this. It's very simple. You go to the SS office and you go to the DMV. Then you call and have it changed with credit card people, insurance people, etc. Nobody can really do it "for you." 

What did you think would happen if you walked up to a group of internet strangers and told them to get shoehorned by their lady doc?~StageManager14
  • I'm going back to school full time for a Master's Degree in Social Work, so I have to fill out my FAFSA before the wedding. I'll having to fix that later, I guess. Yaaaayyy, financial aid and student loans.
  • I'm going back to school full time for a Master's Degree in Social Work, so I have to fill out my FAFSA before the wedding. I'll having to fix that later, I guess. Yaaaayyy, financial aid and student loans.

Sweet!! I got my MSW last August!! Good luck!

Wedding Countdown Ticker

151 invitedimage [ Invited]
     78 attendingimage [ Said Yes!]
     73 declinedimage [ Are Party Poopers]
     0 unknownimage [ Can't Find the Mailbox]
    RSVP June 19

• There really is no way to get a "head start" because 99.9% of the time you will need your signed marriage license to change your name on pretty much everything.

Also, those packages are a waste of money.  You go to the SS first then the DMV.  After that you start making big changes first, like with your work, bank, insurance, etc and then worry about the little changes like credit cards later.

• Yeah, I was trying to see if I could head start it, and without a signed marriage license/certified copy, you can't change your passport, DL (at least where I am), with the bank, etc. etc. etc. (everyone needs something that documents your name change, without the marriage certificate you'd have to send them a court order) so you really can't before hand unless people know something i don't...

And yeah, I considered a name change service, then looking at these forums decided to go for it myself. I've been married under 2 months, just got my changed passport today and that was the last thing on the list (Timeline went, Married, week honeymoon, came back and got a certified copy of my marriage license, mailed off the stuff to the Social Security office, got my new SS Card a week after sending it, went to the DMV and got my new driver's license the next day, went to the bank and got that changed, called all my utilities/credit cards on my lunch break and then mailed everything to the passport office. With regular service, that took about 4 weeks, and I was done. If I had expedited it for whatever reason I would have been done sooner.)
    photo a826c490-726a-4824-af5c-d938878de228_zpseb85bb5a.jpg
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards